Tenant deposit protected for amount less than what was paid to landlord...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant deposit protected for amount less than what was paid to landlord...

    Hi I'm a newbie here but been using the forum as guest for a while now. I'm after some advice please... Here goes...

    We are good tenants, working full time with a young family and always up to date with rent and so on. We have not long moved out of our last rental property as it is in the process of being sold. We was served notice in October last year but it has taken us longer than we hoped to find a new suitable home.

    During the notice period I found out my landlord didn't protect our deposit for the correct amount. Let's say we paid £2k he only protected £1.5k. For the last two months of the tenancy it was protected correctly for £2k. He also never provided details within 30days of receiving payment and I was only issued with the certificate in October no document prior to this.
    Background we lived in property for 20months, 12 months of it the deposit was protected correctly as we went via Estate Agents, when landlord provided own AST and cut out middle person this is where things wasn't done correctly and incorrectly protect for 6 months.

    I've done my research and I think we have good grounds for compensation based on the fact we didn't receive the information within the time frame and incorrect amount protected. For full picture our full deposit has been returned to us so that is not an issue.

    Would others with experience or knowledge of this situation agree / disagree with letter for compensation and potential court action!? Could we be successful?

    Honestly I'm on the fence. Part of me says no don't do it as landlord was a good landlord and we are human at the end of the day and mistakes happen. He did correct in the end. Part of me says yes we should as as a family we have been put under stress, had to find £££s to move houses at Christmas. The notice was served for New Year Day and so on.

    Moving forward we are happy in our new home which is personally a little bigger and nicer than the older property and £50 a month cheaper. So I sense overall we have come out better than expected.


    I don't have the legal expertise to comment on the chances of success in court, However considering you say he was a good landlord, he did correct it, you got your full deposit back, now have a bigger/cheaper home and come out better than expected, I would let it go if I were you.


      Technically it sounds as if he was in the wrong, and only corrected it in order to be able to serve notice correctly.
      (That 'For the last two months of the tenancy it was protected correctly' is telling there).

      You say that he has returned the full amount, so although you could apply for the penalty to teach him a lesson I doubt that you would get more than the minimum allowed.

      The stress of moving is nothing to do with the deposit, moving is stressful.

      It isn't 'compensation' because you haven't lost anything, (although you do get the money if granted), it's a penalty against the LL for not following the law correctly.

      Up to you.
      You have got everything you would have if the deposit had been protected and paperwork served correctly, so you haven't lost anything.
      Only you can decide if you want to spend the time to teach the LL a lesson.


        Advice and draft letter for claiming 1 to 3xdeposit is on Shelter's website. Simply sending letter may get 1x so worth a stamp
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


          Why is everything how can we claim compensation these days??


            Because the world is unfair and people who don't get a fair crack of the whip don't see why they shouldn't.

            In the case of penalties for not protecting the deposits, it's because that's the enforcement mechanism the government chose.
            They don't allow anyone else to police the landlord.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


              Yeah this sounds like genuine mistake though


              Latest Activity


              • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                by Renterthedragon
                I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

                I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

                Approaching the end...
                18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
              • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by ash72
                I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

                Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
              • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by flyingfreehold
                Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hooper
                I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
              • Single parent renting
                by Dct
                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hudson01
                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Hudson01
                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Forgetmeknot
                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Reply to Let a house to local council
                by ram
                If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

                It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
              • Let a house to local council
                by r3drum

                Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

                Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                20-11-2019, 11:58 AM