who is responsible for the broken fridge/freezer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who is responsible for the broken fridge/freezer

I moved in a flat last Tuesday. I found the fridge is not cool enough but the freezer works well. However, on Saturday the fridge/freezer didn't work. Foods in freezer began to thaw. The shelf in freezer is much warmer than the other part.

I contacted with the agency and they said I should be responsible for the repair. I checked my agreement, there is nothing about the repair of the fridge/freezer. Then who is responsible for the broken fridge/freezer?

If it were provided to you (furnished / part furnished) as part of the tenancy, then your landlord ought to be responsible for it, especially if it's broken so soon after moving in.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Agree, i have a couple of flats and although unfurnished the kitchen does have the white goods (fridge/freezer, washer, dryer) it is understood by my myself and my tenants that i provided them, they are part of the deal when they viewed and it was let so if they break..... i fix or replace them. Easy.

Comment

My tenant complained about the same thing 2 years ago. After an expensive call out the problem turned out to be a bit of ice stuck in the fan. When the same thing happened a few months ago I suggested the tenant defrost it for 48 hours and then turn it back on. She did and it worked perfectly. Might be worth a try if you can find somewhere to store your food

Comment

If it is on the inventory and there is nothing to say that the T is responsible, then I would say it is the LL's responsibility.

Personally I have only ever provided fridges and freezers on the basis that if they break, then the T repairs and the T can then take it away with them.

Comment

If the landlord provided it and it's broken so soon after moving in they should fix it. You should have been given the landlord's address - write to them. Sometimes an agent is more of a pain than the landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
              My tenant complained about the same thing 2 years ago. After an expensive call out the problem turned out to be a bit of ice stuck in the fan. When the same thing happened a few months ago I suggested the tenant defrost it for 48 hours and then turn it back on. She did and it worked perfectly. Might be worth a try if you can find somewhere to store your food
              This happened to my Mum's fridge freezer too. If you've got the kind of FF where the air is fanned up from the freezer to the fridge you mustn't overstuff the freezer or the cold air won't be able to get up the 'chimney' to the fridge.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X