who is responsible for the broken fridge/freezer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who is responsible for the broken fridge/freezer

I moved in a flat last Tuesday. I found the fridge is not cool enough but the freezer works well. However, on Saturday the fridge/freezer didn't work. Foods in freezer began to thaw. The shelf in freezer is much warmer than the other part.

I contacted with the agency and they said I should be responsible for the repair. I checked my agreement, there is nothing about the repair of the fridge/freezer. Then who is responsible for the broken fridge/freezer?

If it were provided to you (furnished / part furnished) as part of the tenancy, then your landlord ought to be responsible for it, especially if it's broken so soon after moving in.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Agree, i have a couple of flats and although unfurnished the kitchen does have the white goods (fridge/freezer, washer, dryer) it is understood by my myself and my tenants that i provided them, they are part of the deal when they viewed and it was let so if they break..... i fix or replace them. Easy.

Comment

My tenant complained about the same thing 2 years ago. After an expensive call out the problem turned out to be a bit of ice stuck in the fan. When the same thing happened a few months ago I suggested the tenant defrost it for 48 hours and then turn it back on. She did and it worked perfectly. Might be worth a try if you can find somewhere to store your food

Comment

If it is on the inventory and there is nothing to say that the T is responsible, then I would say it is the LL's responsibility.

Personally I have only ever provided fridges and freezers on the basis that if they break, then the T repairs and the T can then take it away with them.

Comment

If the landlord provided it and it's broken so soon after moving in they should fix it. You should have been given the landlord's address - write to them. Sometimes an agent is more of a pain than the landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
              My tenant complained about the same thing 2 years ago. After an expensive call out the problem turned out to be a bit of ice stuck in the fan. When the same thing happened a few months ago I suggested the tenant defrost it for 48 hours and then turn it back on. She did and it worked perfectly. Might be worth a try if you can find somewhere to store your food
              This happened to my Mum's fridge freezer too. If you've got the kind of FF where the air is fanned up from the freezer to the fridge you mustn't overstuff the freezer or the cold air won't be able to get up the 'chimney' to the fridge.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
                Grim
                Hi Everyone,

I'd welcome your advice, I'm in the process of renting out a property and have been disappointed in the lack of interest from potential tenants, However, I've been approached by an EU National new to the UK ( 6 weeks ) and keen to rent the house. He is awaiting the arrival...
                21-03-2019, 08:24 AM
              • Reply to Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
                mariner
                Not to mention the leccy bill!.

OP specify in AST the dates for the 3 month advanced rent payment.
                26-03-2019, 04:45 AM
              • No deposit strategy
                Marty115
                Hello all,

I'm hoping those of you with much more experience could help me out. I've been reviewing the way in which i manage my tenancy's and im thinking of no longer taking deposits and instead just bringing rent up to market value. Obviously there is both pros and cons to this idea...
                21-03-2019, 15:44 PM
              • Reply to No deposit strategy
                mariner
                T agrees to pay the rent due on signing the AST for 6 months. Even if Rent lowered as an incentive for No Deposit they still remain liable for any adjuged LL losses.
                26-03-2019, 04:17 AM
              • Boundary/tree issues
                HantsAgent
                A property I look after has a large palm tree in the garden. It overhangs the neighbouring property and the neighbour is annoyed. He's written to the tenant demanding that he (or the owner) gets the tree cut back or he'll do it himself and forward the invoice. He has made no mention that the tree poses...
                25-03-2019, 10:45 AM
              • Reply to Boundary/tree issues
                mariner
                This often arises with conifers affecting next door's garden.
                IMO there can be no trespass if overhanging branches are returned to the tree's owner by throwing them back over the boundary line.
                Tell the neighbour this may affect the aesthetic appearance of HIS tree and he is liable for disposal...
                26-03-2019, 03:32 AM
              • Renting and the barrier wall of 'No DSS'
                Ady_P
                Tenant here,

First post, so please play relatively nice...

My current living situation is requiring me to consider all angles, sources of information and help...

I'm usually employed in the UK design consultancy sector, unfortunately, traumatic life events don't...
                23-03-2019, 18:31 PM
              • Reply to Renting and the barrier wall of 'No DSS'
                mariner
                Many LLs are frit by the universal roll-out of UC
                They can do their best to vet Ts but we cannot stop them applying for Benefits
                The only safer solution is to get T to provide a house owning G,willing to be liable for T's debts for duration of T.
                That in itself can be a good indication...
                26-03-2019, 02:49 AM
              • Fair wear and tear and rules re: deposit deductions?
                Am1988
                Hi there,

Not a landlord but rather a tenant but interested in an objective opinion...

Have recently moved out of a property having lived there for a year, it was brand new when we moved in (though not without issue as things weren’t picked up by quality control).
                25-03-2019, 14:24 PM
              • Reply to Fair wear and tear and rules re: deposit deductions?
                boletus
                If I were the landlord and I decided to pursue this, I would provide sworn statements to the court that the floor was perfect on completion from the chartered surveyor, site manager, building surveyor, architect, floor fitter, snagger, estate agent, letting agent, cleaner, uncle Tom Cobley and all....
                25-03-2019, 20:55 PM
              Working...
              X