Landlord wants to doing building work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, a solicitor's letter is a sensible escalation.
    The landlord can't simply turn up and store things/build conservatories and needs to be told that.

They can't give you notice with a fixed term either, so it's best done soon.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Did the LL use to live in the property by any chance?

I'm a tenant and in my experience, the only similar situation we had was when our LL rented out his former family home and struggled to keep the relationship professional. To be fair to him he wasn't that bad - but he was still very good friends with the neighbours and too many evenings my wife and I would be outside with the kids having a BBQ to find the LL was visiting his friends and just happened to be standing at the fence - his eyes always checking out what was happening - too weird for us.

In your case, it's downright harassment and in your shoes, I would take the advice to get a solicitors letter drawn up.

As for signing a 12-month agreement - I've rented the same property now for 7 yrs and each month have been asked by the LA to sign for the next 12 months. Each time I ask for it to go periodic but the LL wants the 'security' of a 12-month contract and the LA unsurprisingly likes the £30 admin fee that comes with the renewal. Spoken to the LL in person and he does just like the security of a 12-month agreement...

Comment

Landlords who rent their previous home are generally a pain.
        Don't know what they're doing and don't think of it as a business.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'd be inclined to make sure that a letter states that you will accept no responsibility whatsoever for any loss of, of damage to, anything that is left on the property (including any damage caused accidentally if you have to move things).
          You could also point out that, in addition to treating blocking your car in as harassment, intentionally blocking a vechicle with the intention of preventing it being moved, is an offence under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Although I would expect the landlord to deny that it was intentional, it might help prevent further similar instances.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X