Liability for utility bill between tenants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liability for utility bill between tenants

I moved into a house as a tenant a few months ago. I began renting on 6th October but due to a crossover period between houses I didn't move in until 20th. On 20th when I moved in I took meter readings and set up a new account for gas & electricity with the supplier. The supplier has now contacted the landlord asking for overdue payment of gas & electricity for period 20th September (when I assume the previous tenant closed his account) to 20th October (when I set up a new one). Who would be liable for the utility bill during this period? Some of it covers my official tenancy as I was paying rent though it was before I moved in. The bill is £62 so quite excessive for a months empty house (heating was on frost only) so I'm wondering if perhaps the previous tenant didn't provide accurate readings and hence a larger gap in the readings and thus larger bill was made.

I haven't yet been asked to pay this bill however I'm anticipating I may be asked to so would ideally like to know whether I should contest it or if I am liable. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

I would say you are liable from the date you moved in/took possession. The meter readings you took, did you take pictures with date/time stamp? Did landlord record the same readings on check-in report?
    The landlord/agent should have taken readings on check out (same/next day as Tenant leaves) and on your check-in. LL is liable for the bills in the 'void'.

If asked to pay the bill I would stand my ground.. 'Not my bill, I wasn't in possession, as soon as I moved in I took readings and moved the bills over to me'.

Comment

I think you are responsible from and should have taken meter readings from 6th Oct as that is when tenancy started. although you did not use any power because you were living elsewhere, there is still the standing charge to pay.
      The landlord ,check in should also have taken reading that day to agree with new tenant.

Comment

You are responsible from the date of your tenancy but if your landlord can't supply readings it will be difficult to know who is liable for how much. Your landlord may just pay the bill but otherwise you could offer to pay half as your tenancy began half way through the billing period. In the meantime check you are on the cheapest tariff by using an online comparison site & change supplier &/or tariff to a cheaper one if necessary.

Comment

Thanks all, will keep this in consideration. In hindsight it does make more sense to take the readings on tenancy commencement to keep things clear.

Comment

As a landlord I have a form in the check in pack where we take all the meter readings (Gas, electric, water and Solar generation). 2x copies, both signed by both parties. and photos with datetime stamp.
            On move out pretty much as soon as they are out/gone I go and take further set of readings along with photos, these are forwarded to the tenant (email/txt) and we phone the utilities that day/next day to confirm handover to myself and give final readings. I also confirm in writing with the utilities the same (handover to me on X date, final reading taken on Y day at Z time of XXXXXXX, photo attached).

No problems so far, keeps it as transparent as it can be.

Comment

You are liable for, and should pay, costs from when you took over the tenancy. If you go on holiday you dont expect the landlord to pay your bills when you are away! However you are not liable before your tenancy started and unless the landlord has proof of meter readings on that day they will have to apportion the charge and agree something fair.

Sensible landlords have photos of the meter.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                Sensible landlords have photos of the meter.
                Really?

I have the figures recorded on the inventory at start and end of tenancy and tenant's signature against each.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

Really?

I have the figures recorded on the inventory at start and end of tenancy and tenant's signature against each.
                  Tenant didnt move in at the start of the contract.and presumably didnt sign an inventory then either.

Comment

Tenant didnt move in at the start of the contract.and presumably didnt sign an inventory then either.
                    Indeed, there was no inventory at all. I was surprised at this considering the agents are quite big in this part of the country, but they said the LL manages the property, so perhaps it was their decision not to have an inventory. How this is beneficial to them I'm yet to discover ­čĄö

Comment

I was responding to your assertion on "sensible landlords", not the specifics of this case.

Comment

Originally posted by zanorias View Post

Indeed, there was no inventory at all. I was surprised at this considering the agents are quite big in this part of the country, but they said the LL manages the property, so perhaps it was their decision not to have an inventory. How this is beneficial to them I'm yet to discover ­čĄö
                        It is not beneficial. Only a fool lets a property without a detailed inventory.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lettings Agent increasing the rent without asking the landlord
                          Jimmy Bean
                          I'm an independent landlord and have a happy tenant coming to the end of a 12 month rental agreement. The property was advertised and let with the help of a lettings agent on a let only agreement (not managed). I have found out from the tenant that he received a letter from the estate agency a month...
                          26-05-2019, 14:11 PM
                        • Reply to Lettings Agent increasing the rent without asking the landlord
                          MdeB
                          Not in any tenant find that I have agreed to.
                          I make it clear to the agent that I want a one-off fee; my tenants generally stay for 3+ years.
                          I also use my own tenancy agreement so that agent cannot sneak in any clauses beneficial to them....
                          26-05-2019, 21:17 PM
                        • New Tenancy Issues
                          AXY
                          Good Evening All,

I found this forum by a happy accident and would like advice on a tenancy issues on which I am not an well versed in.

I have recently moved into a property which has a few issues that are making my stay as a tenant quite uncomfortable. The landlord was being...
                          25-05-2019, 18:22 PM
                        • Reply to New Tenancy Issues
                          MdeB
                          You write that
                          1. The son (S) owns the property;
                          2. S is named as LL in the tenancy agreement;
                          3. You pay rent to S
                          4. S is abroad.
                          5. Father (F) is managing the property on behalf of S.
                          You ask

To help answer that question, I need to know
                          • Why are you dealing with F?
                          • Was the instruction
                          26-05-2019, 20:29 PM
                        • Landlord's possessions in property
                          jmp1991
                          Hello,

Looking for some advice. We rent a property from a landlord which is managed by an agent.
                          Once we moved in, we discovered several very large boxes of the landlord's possessions stored in the only cupboard.
                          Due to this, we have ironing boards, hoovers, etc floating around...
                          20-05-2019, 19:03 PM
                        • Reply to Landlord's possessions in property
                          Hudson01
                          The landlord does appear to be getting cheap (i.e free) storage at your expense, i think you have acted totally correctly and in a fair manner, the landlord is taking the mickey.
                          26-05-2019, 20:25 PM
                        • Reply to Lettings Agent increasing the rent without asking the landlord
                          Hudson01
                          They sound like sharks, i use the same kind of service from my agents and i then just let the AST go periodic, i tell the tenants this at the start of the lease and that i will not need another new contract signed, there will be no fees etc...... most are happy with this and sound surprised as in the...
                          26-05-2019, 19:50 PM
                          KTC
                          You're describing a situation where the facts clearly show you had a tenancy long before any paperwork was produced by one side, and produced unilaterally in response to a court claim. When there's an agreed tenancy agreement where the person or company stated as landlord is by the facts of the case...
                          26-05-2019, 18:22 PM
                          MW1985
                          I can say from first hand experience that this is not strictly true. I went to court this week and the court accepted that the landlord is the person to whom rent was paid i.e. who got the cash in their bank account.

When I rented I never had a tenancy agreement on paper, but since I...
                          26-05-2019, 17:56 PM
                          AXY
                          Good Evening,

Many thanks to all the responses and advice.

I will try to answer all the questions raised by members below:-

1) The letting agents are only responsible for letting the flat out, drawing up the tenancy agreement and finalizing the initial inventory...
                          26-05-2019, 17:34 PM
                        Working...
                        X