Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractual term in fixed-term and periodic tenancy

Dear all,

I have just finished a 2 year tenancy (Dec 2016 to Nov 2018).
    Specifically, the fixed-term period was the initial three months from Dec 2016 to Feb 2017 (one tenancy agreement for three months). Then, from Feb 2017 onwards, the tenancy changed to a monthly rolling contract, in which I signed a new tenancy agreement every month.

Specifically, the fixed-term tenancy agreement was slightly more detailed than the monthly rolling tenancy agreement. My question, is therefore, whether clauses in the fixed-term still apply to that of the rolling period, as I've actually signed a new less-detailed tenancy agreement every month, with dates clearly specified for that particular month, during the rolling period.

One of the miscellaneous provision in the monthly rolling contract, read as follows: "This document constitutes the entirely of the agreement between the parties and the terms of the Short-Term Let. It supersedes any prior representations which may have been made, whether orally or in writing. Any modification to this Agreement or the Terms of the Short Term let must be made in writing and signed by both the Property Owner and the guest"

Therefore, it seems that the any clauses in the fixed-term period do not apply anymore, as I signed a new agreement every month during the rolling period, with the clause stated above.

I would be grateful for your insight.

I think you're right.

What's the underlying reason for the question?
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Hmm. Sounds like a dodgy LL or agent.

From the given wording, it would appear that no prior agreement has any standing.

If a new tenancy agreement was signed each month, then that created a new tenancy.
      That may have given the LL issues with deposit protection rules.

What is the reason for your enquiry?

Comment

I can't think of any upside for the landlord in doing this and potentially its incredibly stupid for reasons of notice period, service of documents, deposit requirements etc. If this is for a failure to correctly protect the original deposit then please keep us posted on the eventual outcome as I am sure we would all like to know whether the judge awards a penalty for each new tenancy!

Comment

Can you even have a one month ast? Surely the minimum term has to be 2 months?

Comment

There's no minimum length for AST since January 1997.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

I doubt OP signed a new AST each month after end of 3 month fixed term!

Comment

Thank you very much for all your answers.

To clarify with 'mariner' specifically, yes, I signed a new contract every month after the initial three months fixed-term contract; I am not sure what confusion is?

Comment

It's not so much confusion as suprise. Signing a new agreement every month is not a usual thing to happen with tenancy.

Comment

Whoever came up with the idea of signing a new agreement every month is either a complete duffer or has spotted something the rest of us have missed.

Comment

Whilst a one month AST is legal , one item has been overlooked if the actual property is in Mortgage; Lenders require a minimum of 6 months to be put in place and if deemed appropriate allow it to revert to a Periodic agreement, if subsequently a new AST is required by the Landlord then this must be for a minimum of 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                        Whoever came up with the idea of signing a new agreement every month is either a complete duffer or has spotted something the rest of us have missed.
                        I read a post on another site where a LL thought that by signing a new agreement every month meant that the tenancy could be ended with one month's notice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• My letting agent is actually my landlord, and has fake names on the TA as the owners
                          Interstate8
                          I just did a land registry to see who owns the freehold on the house I rent. It's actually my letting agent, not the people on my tenancy agreement.

I currently have signed a tenancy agreement between myself and falsified people; with him as the letting agent. But he's actually the out...
                          20-06-2019, 11:37 AM
                        • Live in landlord
                          Schie
                          Hi - I have 3 bed house. I have converted one reception into room where I live and I have rented out 3 bedrooms upstairs (2 double bed and 1 single).

I'm thinking of doing loft conversion that's mean 4th bedroom. Do I need hmo license if I do loft conversion?
                          19-06-2019, 22:40 PM
                        • Reply to Live in landlord
                          leaseholder64
                          Although you don't need a licence, you still need the fire risk assessments, and to obey all the rules about HMOs.

Also, are you sure they are really lodgers? What is it about the arrangement that doesn't give them exclusive access to their room? This is more likely an excluded tenancy...
                          20-06-2019, 11:10 AM
                        • Tenant in property 11 years and 6 months - fair wear and tear and damages
                          JoeFL
                          Hi,

Have a tenant moving out after 11 yrs 6 mths - always paid rent and no problems during duration of tenancy.

However they are moving out and there are quite a few problems with damages. Nothing malicious but its adding up. Can anyone give me guidance on whether I should...
                          20-06-2019, 08:58 AM
                        • Reply to Tenant in property 11 years and 6 months - fair wear and tear and damages
                          SE_Renter
                          completely agree. You've been incredibly fortunate that the departing tenants haven't requested these issues to have been resolved during their tenancy.

Suggest you return the deposit in full and start carrying out the maintenance that you've been neglecting for years.
                          20-06-2019, 11:02 AM
                          leaseholder64
                          You are only allowed two lodgers, if you want special treatment for lodgers.
                          20-06-2019, 10:57 AM
                          Schie
                          I have 3 lodgers atm (1 lodger per room ). I checked on havering council website and it says I don't need license atm. (I'm the fourth person in the house)

But with loft conversion I'm gona have 4th lodger in the house. And then myself 5th one (do I have to include myself in it as I'm ...
                          20-06-2019, 10:20 AM
                        • Tenant abandoning property
                          Ms London
                          What can be done about tenants just leaving the property without notice, nor paying rent before the end of the fixed term AST?

I'm talking about the rented room on AST in London started September last year. I've got no forwarding address and suspect they left abroad. Can I put it in court?...
                          05-06-2019, 22:30 PM
                        • Reply to Tenant abandoning property
                          nukecad
                          That's always a bit of a risky strategy, although many do get away with it.

But if you agree a new tenancy with a new tenant, and then the old tenant doesn't move out when they said they would, you're in a bind unless you have somewhere else to put the new tenant....
                          20-06-2019, 09:47 AM
                        • Council tax issue
                          buttons
                          I served a section 21 notice which ended on 2nd June on a tenant. The reason was the tenant had not claimed their housing benefit. They finally got this sorted and I got paid in April then again in May. I went to the house on 22 May, the tenant was just going into the house, the first time I had seen...
                          19-06-2019, 22:39 PM
                        Working...
                        X