Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractual term in fixed-term and periodic tenancy

Dear all,

I have just finished a 2 year tenancy (Dec 2016 to Nov 2018).
    Specifically, the fixed-term period was the initial three months from Dec 2016 to Feb 2017 (one tenancy agreement for three months). Then, from Feb 2017 onwards, the tenancy changed to a monthly rolling contract, in which I signed a new tenancy agreement every month.

Specifically, the fixed-term tenancy agreement was slightly more detailed than the monthly rolling tenancy agreement. My question, is therefore, whether clauses in the fixed-term still apply to that of the rolling period, as I've actually signed a new less-detailed tenancy agreement every month, with dates clearly specified for that particular month, during the rolling period.

One of the miscellaneous provision in the monthly rolling contract, read as follows: "This document constitutes the entirely of the agreement between the parties and the terms of the Short-Term Let. It supersedes any prior representations which may have been made, whether orally or in writing. Any modification to this Agreement or the Terms of the Short Term let must be made in writing and signed by both the Property Owner and the guest"

Therefore, it seems that the any clauses in the fixed-term period do not apply anymore, as I signed a new agreement every month during the rolling period, with the clause stated above.

I would be grateful for your insight.

I think you're right.

What's the underlying reason for the question?
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Hmm. Sounds like a dodgy LL or agent.

From the given wording, it would appear that no prior agreement has any standing.

If a new tenancy agreement was signed each month, then that created a new tenancy.
      That may have given the LL issues with deposit protection rules.

What is the reason for your enquiry?

Comment

I can't think of any upside for the landlord in doing this and potentially its incredibly stupid for reasons of notice period, service of documents, deposit requirements etc. If this is for a failure to correctly protect the original deposit then please keep us posted on the eventual outcome as I am sure we would all like to know whether the judge awards a penalty for each new tenancy!

Comment

Can you even have a one month ast? Surely the minimum term has to be 2 months?

Comment

There's no minimum length for AST since January 1997.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

I doubt OP signed a new AST each month after end of 3 month fixed term!

Comment

Thank you very much for all your answers.

To clarify with 'mariner' specifically, yes, I signed a new contract every month after the initial three months fixed-term contract; I am not sure what confusion is?

Comment

It's not so much confusion as suprise. Signing a new agreement every month is not a usual thing to happen with tenancy.

Comment

Whoever came up with the idea of signing a new agreement every month is either a complete duffer or has spotted something the rest of us have missed.

Comment

Whilst a one month AST is legal , one item has been overlooked if the actual property is in Mortgage; Lenders require a minimum of 6 months to be put in place and if deemed appropriate allow it to revert to a Periodic agreement, if subsequently a new AST is required by the Landlord then this must be for a minimum of 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                        Whoever came up with the idea of signing a new agreement every month is either a complete duffer or has spotted something the rest of us have missed.
                        I read a post on another site where a LL thought that by signing a new agreement every month meant that the tenancy could be ended with one month's notice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Increasing rent
                          Twohoots
                          Hi - haven't been on here for several years as we have been jogging along nicely.

We have a small property which we rent out and the same tenants have been in there for nearly 6 years now. we have never increased the rent during that time. They are good tenants but I feel we ought to...
                          20-02-2017, 10:26 AM
                        • Reply to Increasing rent
                          MdeB
                          Excessive if you want to keep good tenants.
                          Reasonable if you want to risk losing them, looking for new tenants, and having a void....
                          24-03-2019, 22:17 PM
                        • housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
                          karouyou
                          Hi This is my first post. The council has sent me as the landlord a letter (not a notice) saying it's inspected my property under The 2004 Housing Act and using the safely rating system have identified hazards that require my urgent attention, asking me to reply with written intentions of dealing the...
                          21-03-2019, 08:28 AM
                        • Reply to housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
                          JK0
                          You don't need an eviction company. There is plenty of help and advice here on Landlordzone with doing it yourself.
                          24-03-2019, 20:39 PM
                        • Reply to housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
                          karouyou
                          Thank you for your comments. I talked to the council and they said that because it wasn't a formal notice my section 21 is still valid. The eviction company have said they may still try and use it as a defence. I will do the repairs asap. The property has bats in the eves so I can't fill all the...
                          24-03-2019, 20:16 PM
                        • Reply to Increasing rent
                          Twohoots
                          Two years since I've been on here … can't believe that! As per my original post our tenants have now been living there for almost 8 years. In that time I have only put their rent up once by 5%. Lately there have been two very similar properties to rent near the one we own and we are renting our...
                          24-03-2019, 19:54 PM
                        • Discrepancies between deposit scheme papers and contract
                          JohnMcClane
                          I am a lodger, I asked for my deposit to be protected and the landlord agreed,

However, I have noticed the following discrepancies between my contract, the papers given to me by the landlord and the certificate given to me from DPS:

- The contract states that I take tenancy...
                          24-03-2019, 00:25 AM
                        • Reply to Discrepancies between deposit scheme papers and contract
                          MdeB
                          It may be that you are a tenant and not a lodger (but I do not have sufficient knowledge of this area).

I would suggest that you don't need to worry about it unless and until you have deposit or other problems at the end of your occupation.
                          24-03-2019, 19:27 PM
                        • Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
                          Grim
                          Hi Everyone,

I'd welcome your advice, I'm in the process of renting out a property and have been disappointed in the lack of interest from potential tenants, However, I've been approached by an EU National new to the UK ( 6 weeks ) and keen to rent the house. He is awaiting the arrival...
                          21-03-2019, 08:24 AM
                        • Reply to Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
                          MdeB
                          That is how I see it, provided agreement is worded correctly:
                          • Month 1: rent paid for months 1, 2 & 3;
                          • Month 2: rent paid for month 4
                          • Month 3: rent paid for month 5
                          • Month 4: rent paid for month 6; tenant gives required 2 months' notice
                          • Month 5: no rent paid
                          • Month 6: no rent paid.
                          However,...
                          24-03-2019, 19:13 PM
                        Working...
                        X