Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping Hamsters

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I have been renting a flat through an agency for over 6 months now and my policy says I need prior permission to keep a domestic animal and that permission shouldn't be unfairly withheld - guessing these are very common phrases? I want to bring a hamster into my home, naturally this is going to be a caged animal that will not be free roaming thus have no time to destroy anything. I have emailed the letting agency who deals with our property but am yet to have a reply, I figured it would be a simple yes or no so am getting impatient - especially as there is a hamster that needs rehoming and I'd like to get one in need. Is it rude for me to ring them directly and ask for an update on this as its been 48 hours? I am planning to go to a pet shop this afternoon to start buying things in advanced so really would like an answer before I spend any money.

What should/could I do?

Thanks

Sadie
    LandlordZONE Forum Rules and Guidelines, Penalties and Terms of Use 1. By registering as a Member of the LandlordZONE Forums you agree to abide by these Forum Rules and be legally bound by the Terms of Use – see below. 2. We recommend you use an alias (User Name) rather than your real name – …

48 hours isn't unreasonable, and it may take some considerable time to contact the landlord and get a response.
    They may be on holiday for example.
    But a phone call doesn't sound likely to cause a problem.

It's quite possible that the landlord's own lease either doesn't allow animals or contains a similar clause requiring them to seek approval.
    If it's the former that would be reasonable grounds to decline the request and, if the latter, it could take several months to get any response at all.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Agree with jpkeates - a phone call to chase up shouldn't do any harm, and I bet the landlord would appreciate being asked rather than assuming it's ok.

I have the same contract condition and a few weeks ago requested to keep hamster/rats too, but the landlords said no as they've previously had issues with tenants and pets. Disappointing but then I can understand their position and desire to keep a strict line of no pets therefore no risk/potential issues. I'd probably be the same if I was letting out and didn't know my tenants well enough to judge their competency of keeping pets.

Comment

Originally posted by Sm1234 View Post
        this is going to be a caged animal that will not be free roaming thus have no time to destroy anything.
        That is the intention, but the reality may differ.

Hamsters need to be handled daily.
        I have had a hamster "escape" and disappear under furniture.

Comment

yes I was going to mention that as someone who has experience with the little beasts!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Should a landlord provide means of connecting a cooker?
            Mexico14
            Moved in to a house without a cooker nor the basic connections to my install my own? There is a gas pipe near the space for a cooker however it's been capped off. Also there's no switch with a neon light for an electric cooker. Should either of these have been provided by the landlord?...
            21-05-2019, 17:46 PM
          • Reply to Should a landlord provide means of connecting a cooker?
            buzzard1994
            What was there when you viewed it and what does your inventory say?

There us wiring and there is a gas pipe, which would have to be capped off if nothing connected to it. For atrained person neither is a difficult job and the cost is likely to be pretty similar unless the gas fitter reckons...
            23-05-2019, 17:25 PM
          • tenants excess use of water/failure to report
            Davidqc1
            Hi All,

My position is as follows. T in flat. Managed by A. Fully managed. Same T for last few years. No issues re rent or condition of flat. Regular water bills which I pay on a quarterly basis. T pays £25 in addition to monthly rent. I receive a water bill for sum of £1150 over the...
            22-05-2019, 19:53 PM
          • Reply to tenants excess use of water/failure to report
            buzzard1994
            I understand your pain - but unless your agreement with the tenant includes something about paying for excess water use then I suspect your only hope is to negotiate with the water company.

If the toilet was not filling you'd expect the tenant to notice but if filling, just overflowing...
            23-05-2019, 17:06 PM
          • Invalid section 21?
            sark
            Hi,

After 5 years quietly renting our flat, the landlord has decided to sell and gave us formal 'notice to quit'. He tells us his mortgage ends next year so he needs to sell.

He sent the notice via email on 9th April, giving us until 8th June to leave (the date on the attached...
            23-05-2019, 13:20 PM
          • Reply to Invalid section 21?
            DPT57
            You do seem to have taken this quite personally, but its possible that the landlord cant get a replacement btl motgage, which is a lot tougher these days or even that he just cant manage the massively increased bureaucracy.

As others have suggested, I would keep quiet about the invalid...
            23-05-2019, 14:46 PM
            jpkeates
            It's very easy to get notice wrong - but that only matters if everyone falls out.
            From the sound of it, you've accepted you're going to need to move and, so, hopefully, it's just about the time scale.
            23-05-2019, 14:23 PM
            JK0
            Oh, well there's no reason he couldn't do that for the sake of comparison, but still sell to you. Maybe you could ask what his estate agent suggests, and make him a lower offer?...
            23-05-2019, 14:22 PM
            sark
            It sounds like he's got this very wrong, which is helpful. I don't fancy my chances of getting 5k from him however...
            23-05-2019, 14:19 PM
          • Reply to tenants excess use of water/failure to report
            Interlaken
            How long has the tenant been absent? Is there a clause in the AST that says he must not leave the premises empty for more than 21 days or similar. This might give you some way of proving negligence.
            23-05-2019, 14:08 PM
          Working...
          X