inventory and checkin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inventory and checkin

hi, we are about to move into a rented house, this is our first time renting and will only be for 6-12 months while we find somewhere new to buy.

The agent has asked if I would like to pay a 3rd party to do an inventory for us at 120 pound. they are saying this is optional but will help if any problems getting the deposit back.

we are also being charged 70 pound for the checkin.

just wondering if It would be a good idea to pay for the inventory?

An inventory is largely to protect the interests of the LL: it identifies what is present and what the LL expects to get back at the end of the tenancy.
    Without an inventory, the LL is unlikely to be able to deduct from the deposit for loss/damage (LL cannot deduct for fair wear and tear), so in no way would you pying for an inventory "help if any problems getting the deposit back".

The part of the inventory that protects the interests of the T is the statements of existing damage to (and possibly age of) the items listed.

On that basis, I would decline their kind offer.

Just check carefully any inventory that is provided to you and ensure that you are happy that is is accurate before signing.
    Anything you do not agree with (items listed that are not present; damage or wear that is not recorded; inaccurate descriptions, etc) you should correct on all copies and sign or initial against each correction.

The agent sounds a bit dodgy to me, so keep a check on compliance with deposit protection requirements (protect and issue you with prescribed information within 30 days of receiving the deposit), but do not prompt them if it appears they may not be doing this.

Comment

And ensure that the state of cleanliness is recorded too.

Comment

thanks both for your advice

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Painted without permission
          Purplepolo
          So I rent from a housing association and on their website it says we can paint, etc whenever we want. So ive painted the joint living room kitchen, and part of the hallway. I then spoke to a neighbour who moved in the same time as me and said i was painting, to which she said didnt think we could paint...
          21-02-2019, 16:20 PM
        • Reply to Painted without permission
          Berlingogirl
          I wouldn't worry about it either, unless it's black paint ...
          22-02-2019, 09:47 AM
        • Help with bad landlord
          SacreLao
          I have a friend who has rented a property on an assured shorthold tenancy for 3 years now. The tenancy has long expired and so has automatically converted into a periodic tenancy.

Recently following an inspection the boiler in the property was condemned and switched off as a result. She...
          21-02-2019, 16:00 PM
        • Reply to Help with bad landlord
          KeepTheFaith
          The landlord cannot increase the rent without your friends agreement so at this stage you can just ignore the supposed rent increase. It only exists inside the landlords head! I wouldn't bother explaining to the landlord that she has to use a section 13 to increase the rent. You are not the landlords...
          22-02-2019, 09:47 AM
        • who is responsible for the broken fridge/freezer
          cg18
          I moved in a flat last Tuesday. I found the fridge is not cool enough but the freezer works well. However, on Saturday the fridge/freezer didn't work. Foods in freezer began to thaw. The shelf in freezer is much warmer than the other part.

I contacted with the agency and they said I should...
          19-02-2019, 17:35 PM
        • Reply to who is responsible for the broken fridge/freezer
          Berlingogirl
          This happened to my Mum's fridge freezer too. If you've got the kind of FF where the air is fanned up from the freezer to the fridge you mustn't overstuff the freezer or the cold air won't be able to get up the 'chimney' to the fridge....
          22-02-2019, 09:46 AM
        • Change of named tenant
          dellydonut
          We have been renting out our 3 bedroom house to the same tenants for 2 years. Up to this point the household consisted of a male, his girlfriend and the girlfriends brother and they have been good tenants. This week we learned that the girlfriend has moved out and the man wants to add his new girlfriend...
          22-02-2019, 09:10 AM
        • Reply to Change of named tenant
          leaseholder64
          Also, the only safe way of changing a named tenant is to surrender the existing tenancy and start a new one.
          22-02-2019, 09:45 AM
        • Reply to Change of named tenant
          leaseholder64
          You now have two households and six people. You have an HMO subject to mandatory licensing.

The HMO, although not criminally overcrowded, assuming a reception room, is over the bedroom standard, so HMO licences may not be available.
          22-02-2019, 09:44 AM
        • Landlord Associations
          Phyllis
          I have been a landlord for 13 years and have 8 properties in my portfolio. I have decided that it is time to take out membership of a landlord’s association. My properties are all in Wales and I have a mix of tenants. Does anyone have experience of any association and could suggest issues I should...
          19-02-2019, 17:27 PM
        Working...
        X