Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Boiler for 2 weeks and counting

Hi,

We're renting privately at the moment and our boiler broke on the 18th of January 2019. We informed the estate agent who got an engineer out on Monday 21st January 2019. He informed them and our landlady that the boiler needed replacing and subsequently gave them a quote to do the work.

We were then informed on Friday 25th January that our landlady wanted another quote done, so it took her 3-4 days to decide she wanted another quote, this doesn't seem reasonable to me? Surely she should just get a few quotes done as soon as she knew the boiler needed replacing. This second quote was done on Tuesday 29th January and as yet we have received no update about when the work to replace the boiler will begin, which is all I have been asking for as I know it'll take several days to replace but we're now heading into the third week without a boiler in the middle of winter, with a 2 year old child, and I really don't know what else I can do.

I've asked for a rent reduction as we've not been able to stay at the property but I've not even had any response back for that, even when I've asked the estate agent to chase the landlady about it. This is the second time in 2 years that this has happened, the first time we had to move out of the property for about a week as it was the middle of winter. It just feels like trying to get blood from a stone when I have to chase the estate agent all the time. The landlady hasn't been in touch once to let us know what's going on.

The LL seems to be acting in acceptable timescale.
    The point is could you as owner-occupier arrange a replacement boiler, at an acceptable cost, any quicker at this time of year?
    LL should have offered some space heaters during delay.

Comment

"We've been here for 3.5 years and always paid our rent on time (£915 per month), caused no problems and this is the thanks we get. Luckily we're moving out in a month so I think she is delaying it because of that? Good luck to her trying to rent out the property with no boiler then"

https://bit.ly/2S66bqi
      Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

We had to replace the boiler in our rental property. Luckily the old one was still working but on it's last legs and parts were so expensive it was better to change the boiler. However even in the summer (when boiler engineers tend to be a bit quieter) it took several days for them to come back with a quote. If it had been too high we would have probably got another but as it was we accepted that quote straight away. Even then it took a month or more before he could fit the installation in his schedule.

In our own house we were without a boiler for some weeks in the winter because everyone was so busy.

Comment

Ive just had a boiler needed a new diverter valve and heat exchanged cracked on plastic and its just as cheap to replace a boiler all done in 3/4 days direct replacement for boiler so only took half a day to fit. Personally I don't know the regulations but this is far to long with a child in house.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandolf View Post
            Personally I don't know the regulations
            Obviously not.

Comment

If it's not fixed. Under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, you have the right to expect your landlord to carry out repairs in a 'reasonable time'. If it's an emergency repair as you've got no heating or hot water, your landlord should fix this in
              24 hours

Comment

I don't think that is correct

Comment

Originally posted by Gandolf View Post
                  If it's an emergency repair as you've got no heating or hot water, your landlord should fix this in
                  24 hours
                  The internet is littered with inaccuracies and untruths, when it gets repeated on reputable sites, it gets called out for what it is -utter nonsense.

Comment

Professional landlords (e.g. housing associations) would typically make safe within 24 hours, but that might mean supplying fan heaters, not actually repairing the boiler.

I doubt that the regulations specify any specific time, but no heating in winter would be a category one HHSRS issue. Although the council must take action if you report a broken boiler to them, it is probably going to take weeks before that produces a result.

Comment

Wost issue ever had was an old boiler needed to take tanks out re pipe etc and that took a week from initial diagnosis, we supplied electric heaters and paid fair share of electric I calls this as being a good reasonable landlord, certainly wouldn't leave someone without hot water and heating for over 2 weeks irrelevant of the rules its just not right!!!! But I can say all my tenants are happy as far as I know

Comment

it can't be correct. If a boiler cannot be fixed and needs replacing, that is not going to happen in 24 hours. This is a first world problem. If you have a kettle and a cooker, you have all the hot water you need. If you have clothing that keeps you warm outside the property, you have clothing to keep you warm inside it. If I was a tenant, I'd have an oil filled rad as part of my furniture for just such an eventuality. It's tough, but that's life and your LL is not being unduly slack on this one... yet.

I'd request some space heaters from the LL, but LL does not have to supply them and timeframe is, sadly, reasonable considering you're looking at a replacement. It's just one of those things.

Comment

Some things that an owner occupier would expect to do for themselves, e.g. buying electric heaters fall on the landlord on short let properties. In particular the landlord is responsible for adequate heating.

Clothing is not sufficient, as the big risk for the vulnerable is respiratory infections.

Comment

Sorry but how can any landlord not replace a boiler in worse case 7/10 days I really don't get it? Shure I could get it replaced anywhere in country in that time. Personally I would be wanting to keep tenant happy delonghi heater direct from them are only about £20 and next day for 3kw

Comment

Originally posted by BiffBaffBoff View Post
                              I've asked for a rent reduction
                              To give an indication of what the courts deem appropriate compensation (though I doubt they'd award anything for just 2 weeks);

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...easonable-time

On a £750 a month rent that would put appropriate compo at around £4.12 per day.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X