Extending a tenancy only by a few days before termination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending a tenancy only by a few days before termination

I decided to extend my tenancy by a few days because the other property wouldn't be ready on the date my tenancy was suppose to finish. But now it is I decided to go back to my initial end of tenancy rate and my landlord (company) says I can't do it as they have set up to advertise that the property will be available at a later date. So what can I do is there any law that enforces them to change especially when I asked for the change again 2 weeks prior. Another thing is that according to their calculations instead of me paying for the extra days I asked to extend the tenancy, they are actually charging me for the days the property will be empty so I am having to pay way more than I expected. Plus they are calculating each day more expensive than it actually is? So help what rights do I have in this matter please advice. Thanks

It depends on what was agreed. If the agreement was in writing let us know exactly what it says. The bottom line is that if the agreement was binding on the landlord it is also binding on you.

Comment

If you gave notice to the landlord/agent, you have no right to change that notice.
      Your tenancy ends when your notice expires.

If you stay beyond that date and pay rent, a new tenancy begins and you would have to serve notice again (unless your landlord/agent agrees otherwise).
      So they are able to charge you until your new notice expires.

If you remain in the property and don't pay rent, they are able to claim what's called mesne profit (mesne is pronounced mean) which is a rate that is double the value of the rent.

In short, you don't have many rights at all.
      Sorry.
      You could try and recover your loss from whoever let you down with the other property.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        You could try and recover your loss from whoever let you down with the other property.
        I'm not sure the other property being ready earlier than thought is being let down...
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

I really am going to have to start reading things more than once!
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X