Letting agency clause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agency clause

I have received a contract today which says " Should you sell the property to a tenant introduced to you by us or to any third party directly or indirectly associated with such tenant during or at any time in the period of 12 months after the tenant ceases to occupy the property, we shall be entitled to a commission of 1% of total sale price, payable on completion."

This is the first time this clause has appeared in my contracts. Am I right in thinking it's unreasonable?

I am not too sure it is unreasonable, i have used a large nationwide estate agent to find me tenants over the years and its all gone fine, if i sold one of my properties to them then i save on the estate agents fees.......... and that same estate agent found the tenant who purchased it (in a roundabout way), good spot though and its something i have not noticed on my tenant find docs but i guess it will be there.

Comment

Google "Foxtons Case".

The clause is unfair and there has been case law to the effect since 2009.
      The clause described is even wider ranging than the unfair clause in that specific agent's contracts.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Avoid dealing with an agent who slips such a clause into a contract.

Comment

You're a star JPKeates. I've emailed the agents with the reference and asked them to remove the clause. ­čĹŹ

Comment

The agents sent me a revised contract with the offending clause omitted. Thank you all!

Comment

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to End of tenancy questions
                by jpkeates
                You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
                02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
              • End of tenancy questions
                by leasee123
                Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
                01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
              • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                by Section20z
                The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
                02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
              • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                by meehr
                For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
                01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
              • Reply to End of tenancy questions
                by leasee123
                But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
                02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
              • Reply to who's repsponsibility
                by jpucng62
                Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
                02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
              • who's repsponsibility
                by madmaxwell
                Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
                02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
              • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                by doobrey
                Agree with all the above.

General advice is not to let to family or friends.

If doing it, a long AST doesn't seem helpful to me. If both parties (as family members) trust each other implicitly then there should be no need for the contract. If they don't, then they should not...
                02-12-2021, 09:04 AM
              • Reply to who's repsponsibility
                by jpkeates
                No one's at fault.
                That just complicates things and makes it harder to agree a resolution.
                There was a storm and it made things fall over.

The question is, who's responsibility is fixing the problem? And it's the tenants'.
                02-12-2021, 09:03 AM
              • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
                by jpkeates
                Notice from a landlord doesn't end the tenancy, so a long tenancy agreement with a break clause is loaded in favour of the tenant.

The clause that Hooper has quoted would allow a tenant to end the agreement at any point after the first six months by giving two months notice ending at the...
                02-12-2021, 08:58 AM
              Working...
              X