Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What rent arrears can I pursue?

Hi all,
    I’ve recently evicted a tenant for non-payment of rent. The tenant left after service of a S8 notice, but her tenancy didn’t actually end until 28 March.

The arrears at the time she left were about £800 to date.

I realise that actually pursuing this via the Courts has its own issues/that it might be futile, but I was just wondering what amount I can actually pursue.

Would it just be the £800 arrears due at the time that she left? Or could I also pursue the amount that would have been due until the end of the tenancy given that she was contractually obliged to pay this?

any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think I would try to set up a payment plan for the £800. Then when that is paid off, point out that the remainder of the rent is still due. If they don't pay up, claim again in the county court. Though I'd expect they should realise you are serious when they get the LBA.

Comment

If the tenancy ended on 28th March, the tenant owes rent until that date.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If the tenant left in response to a Notice, they weren't evicted. Did you resume possession, after they'd gone, and was your behaviour consistent with the tenancy having ended? (Eg cleaned up, and prepared the property for reletting and then letting it?). If so, the tenancy ended, and I doubt that you're entitled to seek any rent that was not already due at the date your resumed possession.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X