Landlord refusing to accept notice to vacate - no good reason, is it valid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord refusing to accept notice to vacate - no good reason, is it valid?

Posting on behalf of a friend

I recently gave 2 months notice to leave my rental flat. I've been there years, never missed a rent payment, keep it in good order etc.

I'm buying somewhere so my landlord knew notice was imminent, then when I completed I have him formal notice.

Now, 6 weeks later, he's told me he is refusing to accept my notice. He is demanding I get the flat professionally cleaned and emptied, and only once he has inspected it will he accept my 2 months notice then. (although I think I can actually give 1 months notice, but I gave him two initially so I wasn't being rushed to move over Xmas etc)

The contract doesn't even require me to professionally clean the place. And I am a clean tidy person who has never given him any reason to think I would leave the flat in anything other than good condition

An inventory was taken at move in, and my deposit was protected. I rent through an estate agent but deal with the landlord direct.

Can he do this? What can I do? This feels very unfair!

I've already moved out and am planning to return to clean before MY two month deadline.

Any advice much appreciated

Was the tenancy in a fixed term?
    When did they give notice and when does it expire?
    Is the expiry date the end of a rental period?
    Was the notice in writing and in line with any text in the tenancy agreement about how notice has to be served?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X