Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received letter from mortgage lender in rental property

Hello,

I moved into a rented house a few months ago and have received a letter from the landlord's mortgage company. I then looked up the title plan and the landlord's address is this one.

The letter says:

"We've been attempting to write to the above borrower at this address which has been returned... If you can provide a name/address/number this would be useful.

If you are renting please forward a copy of any tenancy agreement that may exist in order for us to update our records"

Possibly sounds like an unauthorised tenancy and/or arrears to my untrained eye?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you

Just to add, I don't have his details. I didn't even know his name until today. It's through an agent.

I intend on replying to the mortgage company but I'm waiting for an answer from the letting agent to see what they make of it and if they will give me his details.

The part I want clarification on is if it does sound like whether he has buy to let or consent to let - I don't know much but it seems he has neither. I have read that the lender may take possession in this case and we'd have to apply to stay up to 2 months etc?

I've paid a few months rent in advance as well.

Thank you.

Comment

There's no need to be particularly worried.
      There may be arrears and there may be an issue with letting the property, but, equally, the lender may just need to contact their customer to keep their records up to date.

I'd pass the letter to the agent and let them deal with it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Gifted appliances
        Commonsense
        I hope I’m ok to ask a question as a tenant here! I have lived in a rented property for almost ten years. It’s rented from a large housing association at market rate rent on an assured shorthold tenancy. Within the rent, we pay a service charge of about £30 a month for maintenance of landscaping,...
        22-02-2019, 10:40 AM
      • Debt Collection
        Sweepiecat
        Can anybody help please. I own a flat that is fully managed by a letting agency I’ve dealt with for 12 years. I received a letter from a debt collection agency asking me to ring them. I phoned them today and have found out there is an outstanding bill (which has been sold to the debt collection agency)...
        18-02-2019, 22:53 PM
      • Reply to Debt Collection
        Raiden328i
        I've got spark energy asking for £330 for a gas and electric which is wrong as I owe about £40. Long story but I had a void period of 4 weeks and explained the gas was pay as you go but they still kept getting the bill wrong. I said in the end i'm not paying it and send the bailiffs round.
        22-02-2019, 10:25 AM
        jpkeates
        The practical problem here is that British Gas have chased the debt as much as they can and have now sold it.

There's no incentive for British Gas to get involved to sort out the issue.
        They'd simply be cancelling a debt that they'd sold (and probably returning some money to the debt...
        22-02-2019, 10:15 AM
        Berlingogirl
        This happened to me once. The T put the electric bill in my name. When she left I got a high bill. I had taken the readings when she left and told the supplier what she had done and I would pay my share from the date T left and the reading on that day. In the end they accepted this.
        22-02-2019, 09:56 AM
      • Painted without permission
        Purplepolo
        So I rent from a housing association and on their website it says we can paint, etc whenever we want. So ive painted the joint living room kitchen, and part of the hallway. I then spoke to a neighbour who moved in the same time as me and said i was painting, to which she said didnt think we could paint...
        21-02-2019, 16:20 PM
      • Reply to Painted without permission
        Berlingogirl
        I wouldn't worry about it either, unless it's black paint ...
        22-02-2019, 09:47 AM
      • Help with bad landlord
        SacreLao
        I have a friend who has rented a property on an assured shorthold tenancy for 3 years now. The tenancy has long expired and so has automatically converted into a periodic tenancy.

Recently following an inspection the boiler in the property was condemned and switched off as a result. She...
        21-02-2019, 16:00 PM
      • Reply to Help with bad landlord
        KeepTheFaith
        The landlord cannot increase the rent without your friends agreement so at this stage you can just ignore the supposed rent increase. It only exists inside the landlords head! I wouldn't bother explaining to the landlord that she has to use a section 13 to increase the rent. You are not the landlords...
        22-02-2019, 09:47 AM
      • who is responsible for the broken fridge/freezer
        cg18
        I moved in a flat last Tuesday. I found the fridge is not cool enough but the freezer works well. However, on Saturday the fridge/freezer didn't work. Foods in freezer began to thaw. The shelf in freezer is much warmer than the other part.

I contacted with the agency and they said I should...
        19-02-2019, 17:35 PM
      Working...
      X