Agent withholding reference - pregnant tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent withholding reference - pregnant tenant

We renewed our fixed term lease 5months ago (with no break clause) because the agents told us they would be able to find new tenants and surrender the lease at any time. That assurance was important to us as we were planning on having a baby and we wouldn't be able to stay in the current apartment after the baby was born - there's simply not enough space.

The baby plans realised much much sooner than expected and I'm now 5months pregnant. We told the agent we need to move out, gave them plenty of notice (2months - border of zone 1/2 London) and they started to look for new tenants. They however are withholding the tenancy reference because they haven't agreed new rent yet and the new agent is telling us the new landlord can't take up an insurance without the reference. We have excellent credit scores, savings that would cover 2yrs of rent which anyway only makes 14% of our base income.

We understand we are liable for rent under old agreement and are prepared to pay until new tenants move in. We can't lose the new apartment though because its perfect for our baby needs. I also can't be moving out later than planned as I will be too pregnant to do the move.

We offered to pay 6months rent in advance but apparently tenancy reference is preferred. The referencing agency will also accept incomplete reference but old agent doesn't want to give it even though we're still legally bound by the old agreement. I found in landlords association that: 4.2 The landlord will not refuse a tenant a reference for the purposes of securing a new tenancy, without good cause.

My question is do they have a good cause in this case? The old landlord is a Kuwaiti fund represented by an asset manager on-site and new landlord is a private individual.

Then I would ask for new landlord's details and write to him. Failing that, get them from Land Registry. I suspect agent wants commission on the insurance policy.

Comment

No LL or Agent can be required to provide a ref.
      If they do, it should be accurate and truthful and only provided to prospective LL/Agent on written request & not to T.
      From the facts you provided I Isuggest any truthful ref would say
      'This T signed a new AST on <date> to replace original AST Neither contained a Break Clause, despite T being aware that the were trying for a baby for which T deemed the Property 'unsuitable' for baby's arrival'

T was advised early surrender would be permitted when suitable replacement Ts moved in.
      No such applications have been received.

Comment

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/media/6...?m=63677794675 7400000

The licence holder must obtain valid references in relation to potential tenants, in order to make an informed decision regarding their occupancy of the property, before the tenancy commences. References should include details of previous and recent housing history. Evidence of these references and checks must be made available to the Authority upon request.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
          https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/media/6...?m=63677794675 7400000

The licence holder must obtain valid references in relation to potential tenants, in order to make an informed decision regarding their occupancy of the property, before the tenancy commences. References should include details of previous and recent housing history. Evidence of these references and checks must be made available to the Authority upon request.
          My council also has a complementary clause requiring the landlord to provide such references, which must be truthful, and, specifically must include any details of allegations of ASB.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
            'This T signed a new AST on <date> to replace original AST Neither contained a Break Clause, despite T being aware that the were trying for a baby for which T deemed the Property 'unsuitable' for baby's arrival'

T was advised early surrender would be permitted when suitable replacement Ts moved in.
            No such applications have been received.
            Eeeeee.... I thought the reference should state if we paid rent on time and kept the apartment in a good state. It's hard for me to see how anyone would write something like "despite T being aware that the were trying for a baby for which T deemed the Property 'unsuitable' for baby's arrival'". It's like saying don't try to make a baby in an apartment that's not suitable and make sure you know how long it's going to take you to make one before you sign any legally binding agreements 😂😂😂😂 The landlord has power over everything that's happening in his apartments and tenants should be psychic to inform him of future events...

Comment

Originally posted by Agyjustin View Post

The landlord has power over everything that's happening in his apartments and tenants should be psychic to inform him of future events...
              If it were the landlord that was expecting a baby and suddenly needed to re-occupy the property, how sympathetic would you or the average tenant be do you think?

Comment

Why wouldn't I be? This happens all the time in most cases when the landlord just wants to sell the apartment. Is having a baby sth that you want ppl to forsee and take appropriate steps to ensure people that provide/live in your accomodation are not impacted or asked to go out of their way?

Comment

There's nothing you can do to compel someone to give you a reference, so what the agent is asking for isn't reasonable.
                  The landlord's association's guide to good practice is meaningless.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The agent said they will give the reference a month in advance as this is apparently their standard practice. Some licencing schemes do require a response to referencing request and the landlords' association is a good practice guide for non members but binding for members. I think when witholding reference becomes a tool in managing disputes with tenants similarly to how witholding deposit was in the past the good practices will soon become rules...

Comment

I don't see any way that a licensing local authority can compel anyone to give a reference in practice.
                      Same with the landlord association.

I don't take any notice of references myself - they're pointless.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The person that fails to give the reference would lose their licence so not be able to act as a landlord in that authority's area.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                          The person that fails to give the reference would lose their licence so not be able to act as a landlord in that authority's area.
                          I can't imagine that that could happen in real life.

There are all kinds of legitimate reasons that someone would not be able to give a reference.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                            I don't see any way that a licensing local authority can compel anyone to give a reference in practice.
                            I think legally they may be on dodgy ground but I wouldn't want to risk my business for the sake of a 5 minute reference.

I assume you're not in a landlord licensing area? Have a read through this application form of some of the hoops (law abiding) landlords have to jump through for every property;

https://liverpool.gov.uk/business/la...ensing-scheme/

Comment

I'm not (currently) in a landlord licensing area.
                              It's one of the things that would cause me to re-evaluate whether I wished to continue in the business.

To be honest, I'm not opposed to the idea that people who supply something essential like housing at least register that they're doing it.
                              It's just that local authorities seem to make the worst possible version of that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to New House Is Filthy and Scruffy
                                by philg
                                so you signed the tenancy and then received the inventory which i take it you have not signed ? I would think they are jointly liable as they ahve not done what they have said and you are unhappy with it. it is not your responsibility , they should make it a nice place which is habitable . last year...
                                16-04-2021, 17:55 PM
                              • New House Is Filthy and Scruffy
                                by emkat11
                                Hi, I’m a new tenant and was just looking on some perspective.

I signed for a property via a Lettings agent recently, I was told upon signing the inventory showed some cleaning discrepancies however I don’t mind cleaning so was happy to proceed. I’d had a viewing and was told everywhere...
                                16-04-2021, 17:46 PM
                              • Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                                by philg
                                not too long ago i had a bath that would not empty , tried the usual sink unblockers to no avail. had to take all the drainage apart and clean it out ... it was old grouting that had blocked it and only physically cleaning it did the job . the op is quite right to inform the landlord and lets hope they...
                                16-04-2021, 17:40 PM
                              • Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                                by sushi
                                My kitchen sink has been blocked for almost 3 weeks.

The landlord/agent has been dragging his feet getting a plumber out and when someone did come, they confirmed my suspicions that it's something more just needing to pour some unblocker down (this is why I haven't called someone out myself...
                                13-04-2021, 18:06 PM
                              • Reply to Options if eviction ban is not lifted
                                by nukecad
                                Thanks jpkeates,

I was't sure at all how already having an existing PO and trying to start a new eviction process would work.
                                But suspected that it wouldn't work. or would cause problems.
                                16-04-2021, 17:24 PM
                              • Options if eviction ban is not lifted
                                by Perce
                                Hello All

I am waiting for an eviction ban to be lifted but as time goes I lose hope that it will happen in the near future or ever. What then are our options to get our property back if the tenant never moves out ? My tenant won’t move out until bailiffs evict him. I have PO based...
                                16-04-2021, 10:07 AM
                              • Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                                by Codger
                                Usually heat is the best unblocker as it melts the fat. I get it dry then add boiling water from the kettle. But it wont melt candle wax.
                                most plumbers would dismantle a sink waste pipe if theycouldnot unblock it.
                                16-04-2021, 17:16 PM
                              • Reply to Question about rented house extension
                                by Neelix
                                hit, nail and head.

I think the OP needs to have a clear mind about what they want to do and apply for planning ..............
                                16-04-2021, 17:07 PM
                              • Question about rented house extension
                                by ss1981
                                Hi all, I have a rented house - three bed end terrace, which has been rented to the same lady and her children for over a decade, with no major problems on either end.

There is a plot of land next to the house that I am currently in the process of purchasing off the council. I would like...
                                13-04-2021, 17:30 PM
                              • Reply to New AST under probate
                                by PGTV
                                There is a Will. Joint executor

grant probably within a 2-3months...
                                16-04-2021, 17:06 PM
                              Working...
                              X