Gas Safety Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Safety Certificate

I have a bit of a dilemma. I own a rental property where the gas safety certificate expires soon. Due to a water leak, insurance works are being undertaken at the property, including removal of the kitchen with gas hob and oven, and the tenants have been put into alternative accommodation until the works have been completed.

The property will not be ready for the tenants to move back into until after the expiry of the current GSC but it is an offence for a tenanted property to have no valid GSC in place. I am not able to get a new GSC now because the gas appliances have been removed and they will not be reconnected until after the expiry of the current GSC.

Since there is a tenancy agreement in place then is the property legally considered as tenanted even though the tenants are living in alternative accommodation? If so, then am I causing an offence by not having a GSC during the time of the works and would it affect any future S21 notice?

I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you get the GSC done before the tenant moves back, and give tenant a copy.

Comment

I imagine you’ll be OK. I would have thought that there’s an argument to be made that the appliances, fittings and flues don’t need to be covered by a GSC because you’re not providing them for use by the tenant at this time.

Even if that’s not the case, there’s an interesting couple of clauses in the gas safety regulations:

(2) Subject to paragraph (3), the landlord may ensure that an appliance or flue is checked for safety within the 2 month period beginning with the deadline date, instead of checking it within the 12 month period ending with that date.

(3) The discretion conferred by paragraph (2) may be exercised –
      (a) only once in relation to each appliance or flue in the relevant premises; and
      (b) only in order to align the deadline date in relation to the next safety check of that appliance or flue with the deadline date in relation to the next safety check of any other appliance or flue in the same relevant premises.

In other words, you can postpone to check of an appliance or flue for up to two months in order to align it with the safety check of another appliance or flue.

So, assuming that you are going to have some new appliances fitted and that the work will be finished within two months of the GSC expiring, I think you can delay checking what’s currently in the property on the basis that you’re aligning it with the deadline for checking the new appliances that will be installed soon.

But, you know, I’m not an expert on this!

Definitely ensure you have everything checked and issue the tenant with a new GSC before they move back in.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I am not providing any new appliances so unfortunately that does not apply in my case.

Comment

Don't worry about it.

No one is occupying, and you're doing works that involve modification to related appliances, you must be allowed to finish the works before checking if the works is safe. Just make sure a copy is done and given before the tenant reoccupy.
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New House Is Filthy and Scruffy
            by emkat11
            Hi, I’m a new tenant and was just looking on some perspective.

I signed for a property via a Lettings agent recently, I was told upon signing the inventory showed some cleaning discrepancies however I don’t mind cleaning so was happy to proceed. I’d had a viewing and was told everywhere...
            16-04-2021, 17:46 PM
          • Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
            by philg
            not too long ago i had a bath that would not empty , tried the usual sink unblockers to no avail. had to take all the drainage apart and clean it out ... it was old grouting that had blocked it and only physically cleaning it did the job . the op is quite right to inform the landlord and lets hope they...
            16-04-2021, 17:40 PM
          • Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
            by sushi
            My kitchen sink has been blocked for almost 3 weeks.

The landlord/agent has been dragging his feet getting a plumber out and when someone did come, they confirmed my suspicions that it's something more just needing to pour some unblocker down (this is why I haven't called someone out myself...
            13-04-2021, 18:06 PM
          • Reply to Options if eviction ban is not lifted
            by nukecad
            Thanks jpkeates,

I was't sure at all how already having an existing PO and trying to start a new eviction process would work.
            But suspected that it wouldn't work. or would cause problems.
            16-04-2021, 17:24 PM
          • Options if eviction ban is not lifted
            by Perce
            Hello All

I am waiting for an eviction ban to be lifted but as time goes I lose hope that it will happen in the near future or ever. What then are our options to get our property back if the tenant never moves out ? My tenant won’t move out until bailiffs evict him. I have PO based...
            16-04-2021, 10:07 AM
          • Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
            by Codger
            Usually heat is the best unblocker as it melts the fat. I get it dry then add boiling water from the kettle. But it wont melt candle wax.
            most plumbers would dismantle a sink waste pipe if theycouldnot unblock it.
            16-04-2021, 17:16 PM
          • Reply to Question about rented house extension
            by Neelix
            hit, nail and head.

I think the OP needs to have a clear mind about what they want to do and apply for planning ..............
            16-04-2021, 17:07 PM
          • Question about rented house extension
            by ss1981
            Hi all, I have a rented house - three bed end terrace, which has been rented to the same lady and her children for over a decade, with no major problems on either end.

There is a plot of land next to the house that I am currently in the process of purchasing off the council. I would like...
            13-04-2021, 17:30 PM
          • Reply to New AST under probate
            by PGTV
            There is a Will. Joint executor

grant probably within a 2-3months...
            16-04-2021, 17:06 PM
          • New AST under probate
            by PGTV
            Hi. Quick question

property portfolio is under probate.

the land-lady (Mum) used the family office address as the landlord address on the tenancy agreement, rather than her home address. Always did this for 20 odd years.

Under probate, I have to sign a new tenancy...
            16-04-2021, 14:51 PM
          Working...
          X