Tenancy renewal - no interim Council Tax liability?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the vast majority of cases, the Tenant will be an adult using the dwelling as their main residence.

An Assured Shorthold Tenancy confirms the 'material interest' de facto, since by definition it has a minimum duration of 6 months.

I have plenty of Tenants on Periodic Tenancies, but these tenancies have only ever commenced when a fixed term AST has lapsed, so how could I become the liable person before the tenancy has ended?

Comment

I'm sure you don't mind me playing the Devil's (or Landlord's) Advocate here.

Comment

Originally posted by bagus View Post
        In the vast majority of cases, the Tenant will be an adult using the dwelling as their main residence.
        While they're living there, yes. We are talking about the end of the day their tenancy ends where on that day or before, they have moved out. Since they have moved out, they are resident elsewhere at the end of that day, they are no longer resident here.

An Assured Shorthold Tenancy confirms the 'material interest' de facto, since by definition it has a minimum duration of 6 months.
        That's not the definition, nor is it a requirement of assured shorthold tenancy. There haven't been a minimum six months term required for AST that is not a replacement tenancy since 1997, and there was never such a minimum term where the tenancy's a replacement tenancy.

If the tenancy, assured or otherwise, is a fixed term of at least six months, then it's a material interest. If it has an initial definite term of at least six months which then continues contractually periodically, then it's a material interest. If the tenancy is periodic from the start, where the period is less than six months*, then it's not a material interest for the purpose of council tax.

I have plenty of Tenants on Periodic Tenancies, but these tenancies have only ever commenced when a fixed term AST has lapsed, so how could I become the liable person before the tenancy has ended?
        A statutory periodic tenancy, i.e. one that arise after the end of a fixed term tenancy in accordance with s5 of the Housing Act 1988, is a new and seperate tenancy to the fixed term that preceded it. Accordingly, assuming a period of the SPT is less than six months, it is not a material interest for the purpose of council tax.

I'm sure you don't mind me playing the Devil's (or Landlord's) Advocate here.

* Depending on how the term/periods are expressed, the tenancy may not be determinable before the end of the second period, and thus it may be arguable that a quartrely periodic tenancy can be a material interest.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thanks for that. You've made me start to feel sorry for tenants now, having not previously considered how unfair it is/should be for them to pay two lots of Council Tax as well as two lots of rent on the day they move.

I'll bow to your encyclopedic recall and go lick my wounds for now. Might still peep over the parapet again though!

Comment

At midnight, the first tenancy ends and the new tenancy begins, simple as that. There is no interim period at all. Surely, this is how all renewals work. An insurance renewal comes into effect when the old policy expires, commonly at the stroke of midnight - one policy lapses at midnight and the new one commences seamlessly after that. Liability is determined to the exact second.
            Legal time is not the same as real time.
            Things don't just happen at the same time, they happen in a sequence at the same time.

It doesn't matter in the insurance policy example, but it does in a complex series of transactions (like selling a house).

However, I have to agree with KTC.
            Even if the person wasn't a tenanct at the end of the day, they were definitely a resident throughout.
            So the sequence of events doesn't matter in this case.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What KTC says.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent increases.
                bobcat
                Hi everyone.
                I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
                21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
              • Reply to Rent increases.
                mariner
                I might wait to see what effect the Budget and Brexit may have on the economy.
                Keep any rent increase to max 5% p.a.
                22-10-2019, 02:50 AM
                MdeB
                work out inflation over the period, and if your increase is less than tha, then put it in the letter for comparison.
                21-10-2019, 22:19 PM
                DPT57
                My view is that you do tenants no favours by charging below market rent as they just develop unrealistic expectations and feel trapped when they realise they cant afford to move but need to. They also see you as a soft touch and that's not a good look for a landlord. I would start to increase each year...
                21-10-2019, 22:01 PM
              • Broken window, who should pay T or L.
                marco1733
                So my friends and I have recently moved into a house, we are students and this is our first year of renting a property. The building itself is quite old and we've already had problems such as broken lights and damp. We also do not have the best relationship with our landlord as we've asked for these...
                21-10-2019, 13:11 PM
              • Reply to Broken window, who should pay T or L.
                MdeB
                At what height was the bottom of this window, "normal" window height or floor height?

If floor height, then I believe it is required to have toughened glass, which is harder to break.
                21-10-2019, 20:45 PM
              • Energy efficiency certificate
                Thehitman2001uk
                I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
                or did the current...
                21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
              • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
                leaseholder64
                I don't think you are even allowed to advertise it for rent without a valid certificate. However, unlike the gas one, you can still provide it late for a section 21 eviction.
                21-10-2019, 20:37 PM
              • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
                Thehitman2001uk
                It was a C. Yes im going to try and get it done asap before the new tenant moves in.
                Also the gas cert was done in jan, so is valid till jan 2020, but will that be needed for a new tenant right away as well?
                21-10-2019, 20:34 PM
                ash72
                My advice would be to seriously think about increasing, my experience is have a tenant paying on time and looks after the property is worth £10 pm increase. The market has now changed for T's therefore with fees now removed they can move more freely without thinking of the additional costs. Also if...
                21-10-2019, 20:23 PM
              Working...
              X