Tenant Fees Bill - referencing, inventory fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant Fees Bill - referencing, inventory fees

If the bills passes, am I correct in thinking that landlords can no longer charge for referencing or credit checks and must pay for this themselves?
    Can the lease contain a clause requiring the tenant to pay for an inventory check-out?

If the Bill passes,expect a Rent increase or higher future rents.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
      If the Bill passes
      It will become law. Have passed 3rd reading in the Lords, so have ping pong back to the Commons to consider amendments passed by the Lords. Nothing controversial. Those in the know was saying that there was enough time for it to become law even if the government had lost confidence vote.

Government already announced that they expect it to come into force on 1 June this year.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Pergola View Post
        If the bills passes, am I correct in thinking that landlords can no longer charge for referencing or credit checks and must pay for this themselves?
        Can the lease contain a clause requiring the tenant to pay for an inventory check-out?
        There can be no fees paid by the tenant for referencing and credit checks and the tenant can't be charged for an inventory check out.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Good afternoon,
          Is it correct that I cannot charge for cleaning when the tenants leave?
          Thanks in advance!

Comment

You can if the standard of cleanliness is lower than that at the start of the tenancy or that specified in the agreement. You can ask them to pay, propose to deduct it from the deposit or sue them for the costs in court

Comment

There may well be a flaw(??!!) in the wording that would make ALL agents and LLs act illegally anyway. PropertyEye had a piece about it earlier this week.

It makes interesting reading...

Comment

Where's the consideration?
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post
                  Where's the consideration?
                  Ah, landlords can't expect any consideration from this government.

Comment

I meant the article arguing that it would prohibit tenant referencing because the prospective tenants argreeing with the website terms create a contract.

Comment

Would that also cover the signing of check in/out documents? And any other need for signature from any 3rd party?

Comment

I'm wondering if LL's could only consider future tenants if they came clutching a copy of a recent Reference check which they had acquired and paid for themselves. A bit like someone turning up for a job with their CV. Just pondering

Comment

If you're so worried, you just have to get the applicant to provide you with the details required along with permission to use it for a tenant reference check, and then make the check yourself with those details instead of getting an applicant to submit it directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Stef Cooke View Post
                            Would that also cover the signing of check in/out documents? And any other need for signature from any 3rd party?
                            Signing reciept of a document does not create a contract.

Comment

Not sure I meant to be so simplistic. I should know better

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord's possessions in property
                                jmp1991
                                Hello,

Looking for some advice. We rent a property from a landlord which is managed by an agent.
                                Once we moved in, we discovered several very large boxes of the landlord's possessions stored in the only cupboard.
                                Due to this, we have ironing boards, hoovers, etc floating around...
                                20-05-2019, 19:03 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord's possessions in property
                                AndrewDod
                                Yes but that presumes the nature of the tenancy. The OP described it as multi-tenant, and hasn't reverted to us to clarify.

Second the OP initially referred to "boxes of the landlords stuff", but then later to "ironing boards, hoovers etc". There is no law that says...
                                27-05-2019, 09:41 AM
                              • New Tenancy Issues
                                AXY
                                Good Evening All,

I found this forum by a happy accident and would like advice on a tenancy issues on which I am not an well versed in.

I have recently moved into a property which has a few issues that are making my stay as a tenant quite uncomfortable. The landlord was being...
                                25-05-2019, 18:22 PM
                              • Reply to New Tenancy Issues
                                jpkeates
                                Please keep to the same sets of references.

If the Landlord is overseas and you are sending rent money to them and they are UK taxpayers, they have to either show you that HMRC have agreed to the rent being sent in full, or you need to deduct tax at base rate before sending it, and complete...
                                27-05-2019, 08:56 AM
                              • Deposit - Tenant Fees Act 2019
                                Pergola
                                I'm a landlord and would appreciate if you could advise whether I will be in compliance with the Tenant Fees Act 2019.

I signed a tenancy agreement before 1st June for a tenancy beginning after that date and requested a deposit equal to 6 weeks of rent.

Based on 30(1)(b),...
                                14-04-2019, 08:55 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit - Tenant Fees Act 2019
                                Lawcruncher
                                A periodic tenancy is a single tenancy....
                                27-05-2019, 08:08 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit - Tenant Fees Act 2019
                                KTC
                                A periodic tenancy from before 1 June 2019 falls under s30(1).

A fixed tenancy from before 1 June 2019 that becomes periodic between 1 June 2019 and 1 June 2020 contractually is a continuation of a single tenancy and also falls under s30(1).

A fixed tenancy from before 1 June...
                                27-05-2019, 03:56 AM
                              • Universal Credit - Rent Arrears - Tenant not paying - Section 8
                                funkar
                                Hello everyone.

It's about my tenant who was destined to give me trouble.

So, as soon as universal credit started, Rent payments switched to UC from the local council.

My tenant is ever since mostly drunk and enjoying the money which he was supposed to pay me as...
                                24-05-2019, 22:02 PM
                              • Reply to Universal Credit - Rent Arrears - Tenant not paying - Section 8
                                mariner
                                Hopeless maybe, but T will still have a CCJ for debt, which should reduce access to further credit. Tcan blame UC for CCJ.
                                26-05-2019, 23:17 PM
                              • Reply to New Tenancy Issues
                                AXY
                                Okay to clarify- I secured the flat through a lettings agency and I had even met F before agreeing to the let.
                                Both the agency and myself always referred to the landlord by their last name even to this day and I never communicated with the landlord directly via email or phone before moving in....
                                26-05-2019, 23:03 PM
                              Working...
                              X