Tenant Fees Bill - referencing, inventory fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant Fees Bill - referencing, inventory fees

If the bills passes, am I correct in thinking that landlords can no longer charge for referencing or credit checks and must pay for this themselves?
    Can the lease contain a clause requiring the tenant to pay for an inventory check-out?

If the Bill passes,expect a Rent increase or higher future rents.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
      If the Bill passes
      It will become law. Have passed 3rd reading in the Lords, so have ping pong back to the Commons to consider amendments passed by the Lords. Nothing controversial. Those in the know was saying that there was enough time for it to become law even if the government had lost confidence vote.

Government already announced that they expect it to come into force on 1 June this year.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Pergola View Post
        If the bills passes, am I correct in thinking that landlords can no longer charge for referencing or credit checks and must pay for this themselves?
        Can the lease contain a clause requiring the tenant to pay for an inventory check-out?
        There can be no fees paid by the tenant for referencing and credit checks and the tenant can't be charged for an inventory check out.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Good afternoon,
          Is it correct that I cannot charge for cleaning when the tenants leave?
          Thanks in advance!

Comment

You can if the standard of cleanliness is lower than that at the start of the tenancy or that specified in the agreement. You can ask them to pay, propose to deduct it from the deposit or sue them for the costs in court

Comment

There may well be a flaw(??!!) in the wording that would make ALL agents and LLs act illegally anyway. PropertyEye had a piece about it earlier this week.

It makes interesting reading...

Comment

Where's the consideration?
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post
                  Where's the consideration?
                  Ah, landlords can't expect any consideration from this government.

Comment

I meant the article arguing that it would prohibit tenant referencing because the prospective tenants argreeing with the website terms create a contract.

Comment

Would that also cover the signing of check in/out documents? And any other need for signature from any 3rd party?

Comment

I'm wondering if LL's could only consider future tenants if they came clutching a copy of a recent Reference check which they had acquired and paid for themselves. A bit like someone turning up for a job with their CV. Just pondering

Comment

If you're so worried, you just have to get the applicant to provide you with the details required along with permission to use it for a tenant reference check, and then make the check yourself with those details instead of getting an applicant to submit it directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Stef Cooke View Post
                            Would that also cover the signing of check in/out documents? And any other need for signature from any 3rd party?
                            Signing reciept of a document does not create a contract.

Comment

Not sure I meant to be so simplistic. I should know better

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X