Tenant struggling to pay in full /on time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant struggling to pay in full /on time

Got a long term 3+years tenant who has been paying late recently (says due to pay day changing) but is also slightly in arrears. The rent level is low and hasn't changed since she moved in.
    the flat is unfurnished and I don't have any middle man taking commission so i receive the full rent.
    However it is £90 less than the lha allowance for the area. It appears to me the tenant doesn't claim anything from the council and tries to manage the bills by working or help from father.
    So wondering how to proceed with this tenant.
    Any advice? Should I change the rent date? By doing this I doubt she could pay the extra week /two weeks to get up to date. Should I make her aware of the kha rate? Should I expect her to claim from the council to meet the rent?
    It is obvious she wants to remain as every time I have mentioned potentially having to sell the place she goes silent and ignores calls or messages.
    On the other hand she isn't too demanding generally and keeps the place in an ok condition.
    Many thanks for advice.

Why does she not contact CAB to see if she is entitled to any benefits?

Comment

I don't know Would it be reasonable for me to suggest this? Maybe its long winded to start a claim and she cant be bothered? My feeling is I am charging too little rent as backed up by local EA's and the lha rate itself.

Comment

Why change anything? Are you having to pay a mortgage out of the rent? If so, I can see the problem.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Yes a buy to let mortgage

Comment

Put the rent up.

Comment

I'm a tenant.

I'd suggest approaching her ASAP, in a friendly manner - and let her know your concerns. As much as people like to bury their head in the sand, chances are she knows that 'something' is going to happen at some point and will eventually appreciate that it's been addressed. As a Landlord, its more than likely that she will see you as the 'grown-up' (hope that makes sense) - the one who knows the business/industry, who makes the decisions and ultimately who she has entered a contract with (but it's you who is doing it as a professional, she just wants a place to live).

If you are clear that you are happy with her as a tenant, but are losing out on money (you are in business for financial gain) so would like to work with her as you have a plan that may help her and ultimately you will both be happy. Be firm that the rent WILL be going up, but be patient and decent with her that you will help her/give her every opportunity to sort it out so she can stay.

As tenants, we worry that our landlords a) want to rip us off and just charge maximum for everything - especially when it comes to moving out and b) will engage with mercenary letting agents and c) will one day either sell up or kick us out for reasons out of our control.

Also as tenants, we don't feel like we can call the shots, so sometimes we just like to keep our head down so as not to stir any drama that we cant control.

So it shouldn't take much to allay her fears that you are raising the rent to something reasonable (not extortionate) and that there is an avenue for her to explore where it won't mean she has to pay more.

Good luck 0 sounds like you are a decent landlord with a decent tenant so shouldn't take much effort to keep it that way...

Comment

It is up to her if she wants to claim LHA (HB).
                Maybe claiming UC/any benefit frightens her?
                Some people don't want to accept anything they perceive as charity.
                DON'T alter the AST Rent Due date, just accept late rent unless she becomes 1+ month in arrears, then serve s8 & s21
                Jan is the month Xmas credit bills arrive

Comment

Thanks for the info from the tenants perspective and about the due date. So I will move the due date back a week but leave the rent period the same. If I was to increase the rent nearer to lha level has this got to be done in writing, or verbally? Or does it mean writing out a new AST ?

Comment

Originally posted by Propertygoesup View Post
                    So I will move the due date back a week but leave the rent period the same.
                    Why ask landlords for advice, then ignore it?
                    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Sorry I meant to say just accept it a week late but not change any paperwork

Comment

Sorry I meant to say just accept it a week late but not change any paperwork

Comment

What makes you think she is entitled to claim anyway?
                          If she is under 35 then she won't get anything close to the lha rate.

Comment

A modest rent increase,agreed & paid, does not require a new AST, nor does a s13 Award

Comment

Originally posted by Propertygoesup View Post
                              If I was to increase the rent nearer to lha level has this got to be done in writing, or verbally? Or does it mean writing out a new AST ?
                              She may need something to show the benefits office so in this case I would serve a s13 notice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to End of tenancy questions
                                by leasee123
                                So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
                                02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
                              • End of tenancy questions
                                by leasee123
                                Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
                                01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
                              • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                                by bob369
                                I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
                                Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
                                02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
                              • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                                by bob369
                                Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
                                24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
                                02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
                              • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                                by Section20z
                                The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
                                02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
                              • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                                by meehr
                                For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
                                01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
                                by leasee123
                                But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
                                02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
                              • Reply to who's repsponsibility
                                by jpucng62
                                Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
                                02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
                              • who's repsponsibility
                                by madmaxwell
                                Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
                                02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
                              Working...
                              X