X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fargesia
    started a topic Damage to property

Damage to property

We have a tenant who has broken 2 paving slabs on the property. I was just wondering if we just claim on our Landlord's insurance policy and deal with the cost of repairing them ourselves, or should the tenant be expected to pay for the damage they did?

Thanks for any advice.

• Ted.E.Bear
    replied
    It strikes me that this is caused by poor installation or maintenance. A slab on a driveway is surely meant to be driven on.

Maybe he should have called, rather than try to fix it himself, but plenty of landlords would get annoyed about something that trivial.
    The cost of re-laying a loose slab isn't likely very different from the cost of replacing it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Explain either resolution to broken slabs or they will be evicted. Any repairs to be done by your nominated workmen

Leave a comment:

• Fargesia
    replied
    Thank you for your advice. The tenant says that one of the slabs was loose and they removed it and then accidentally broke it. The other one, they don't know how it got broken. It's on a driveway, so probably a vehicle driving over it broke it. The tenant didn't report either broken slab when it happened, but we saw it in the last property inspection.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    I would agree that normally such damage should be attended to at the end of the tenancy if the T hasn't sorted it by then (where appropriate). However, if the damage leaves the paving stones in a dangerous state (e.g trip hazard), probably best to inform T in writing that you are organising a repair (tell them approx cost) and that you will claim from deposit when they leave.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    The most common way of breaking paving slabs is driving vehicles over them. They are not designed for more than humans.

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    More to the point is how did the break occur? If they picked it up and smashed it or hit slab with a lump hammer then yes it is their fault but what if there is some subsidence,natural movement under the slabs or broke due to poor groundworks? Sometimes these things just happen

How did it happen?

Leave a comment:

• Fargesia
    replied
    Thank you both for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Do nothing until he leaves & you know if he's fixed it, if there is more damage and/or unpaid arrears

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    They should be expected to pay in my view. I wouldn't have thought it worth an insurance claim for 2 paving slabs. The increase in premium would probably be more than the cost.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Oven light not working
    artin
    Hi
    I have a new tenant, a fussy one. I had a new bed base and mattress delivered for him, the first day he moved in complained mattress is too soft so had to replace and lost money on the other one
    Then he called the grill in the electric oven is not working which I knew from previous tenants...
    20-10-2019, 14:54 PM
  • Reply to Oven light not working
    AndrewDod
    What a dreadful waste and environmental disaster that would be. Every appliance would have to be replaced when one small aspect of it became non-repairable. One would not do that as a normal homeowner (throw out perfectly good and safe ovens with a minor defect, a whole refrigerator with a small crack...
    20-10-2019, 21:05 PM
  • Viewing - Should I be concerned?
    Flashback1966
    I had a property viewing. The agency told me the prospective tenant is a woman. No one came. Agency was unable to contact the woman. I was about to leave, when about half an hour later, a man rang the door bell.

He was a heavily built Bulgarian man. He was well dressed and wearing a...
    20-10-2019, 17:03 PM
  • Reply to Viewing - Should I be concerned?
    AndrewDod
    Anyway if there is a broadband connection it would be worth setting up a £50 webcam in unoccupied properties....
    20-10-2019, 20:53 PM
  • Reply to Viewing - Should I be concerned?
    Hudson01
    Agree with ash72 i would not have allowed HIM in when i was expecting a female, i too would forget about squatting and be concerned about other criminal activities should it be let to them...... i would also be speaking with the agent to check their vetting procedures.
    20-10-2019, 20:43 PM
    artin
    The T said the mattress is still sealed, company said they won't take it back if used for hygiene reasons. I am still waiting for the refund, takes 2 weeks. It was bed base and mattress set deal, the base was discounted to half price so I have to pay full price for the base as I am keeping it plus they...
    20-10-2019, 20:05 PM
    artin
    I bought the same exact bed set base and mattress 6 years ago from the same place for another tenant and never complained. This T moved in and within hours he called the estate agent and told them to it's too soft and can't sleep on it and the agent asked me to replace it as if I am hotel, I did replace...
    20-10-2019, 19:48 PM
    Flashback1966
    Consider yourself lucky, you had a repair to the grill, which you managed to postpone for a long time. Having the oven repaired, it seems unfortunate the bulb needs replacing. If you are worried about the bulb holder, may be the oven needed replacing? So you are chasing good money after bad. Sometimes,...
    20-10-2019, 19:34 PM
  • Notice Period
    Dazzadog
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone can advise.

We've been renting our property since 27/07/09, initially for a term of 12 months after which it was never renewed. The initial contract states the following:

'To end this agreement two months written notice will need to be given...
    20-10-2019, 11:39 AM
  • Reply to Notice Period
    Lawcruncher
    • 1) By making it clear in the original tenancy agreement that the tenancy will become a “contractual periodic tenancy” after the fixed period (the word “contractual” should be stated).

I agree that the agreement needs to be clear, but not that he word “contractual” should be stated.
    20-10-2019, 19:16 PM
Working...
X