Lodger's left but still owes rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodger's left but still owes rent

I had a girl move into a spare bedroom in my house april 07. We never had and written proof, everything was verbal. She is always late on her rent, she has only paid her share of 1 quarterly phone bill. Also a few weeks ago when I wasn't at home she had friends stay over and they broke the sofa bed. It belonged to my dads girlfriend and will cost 300 pounds to replace. I told her she had to pay me £150 pounds because it was her fault. she said she wasn't going to but would talk to her friends and get the money off them, that was the last I heard of it. She has now told me she is moving out before the end of March because she cant afford to keep living here. she still owes me 360 pound rent aswell as the sofa money and the phone bills. Do I have any rights here? My mom says I should tell her she can't move any more of her stuff out until I get the money, But its hardly like I can physically stop her. I know fine rightly if she really wanted to get the money she could. I told her she could get an overdraft on her bank account or borrow the money from her mother but she just keeps saying I'll get the money eventually when she can afford it. But thats what she always said about her rent and I practically had the chase her to a cash maching to ever get that. If she moves out I'll never see her so I highly doubt she's going to go out of her way to bring me the money. Please please help me!!!

You are not going to get any money from her. She has no rights as a lodger, pack her stuff up, change the locks and put it down to expirenance.

Comment

are you serious! I have no rights at all?
      Can't I even tell her she can't have her stuff until I get my money or anything?
      I seriously can't afford for her not to give me anything. It's not like she can't get the money, I mean her mom's a Solicitor so they can hardly say they can't afford it.
      I've had to borrow money from my parents to pay for things and I need to pay them back!

Comment

Originally posted by worriedlandlordpleasehelp View Post
        are you serious! I have no rights at all?
        Can't I even tell her she can't have her stuff until I get my money or anything?
        Try: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...7&postcount=11

Comment

I dont know how legal it is to keep her properties but i would get her out asap and if she is likely to be going back to mummy apply for a online small claim court hearing addressed there. You could start it now but i wouldnt like to do that with them still living in my house.

I think your chances of getting any cash without it are pretty low.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X