Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeepTheFaith
    replied
    Does the TA say anything regarding the meaning of all bills included? If it doesn't say anything to limit the usage then arguably the tenants can use as much as they want. If the landlord limits the use of the regular heating using some remote controlled device then they have a right to complain if that is not the deal they signed up to.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Just do what I do: Have one tenant who has 3 lodgers. Tenant collects rent and bill money from lodgers, pays all the bills herself, and sends me the rent. She also finds new lodgers when anyone leaves.

Leave a comment:

• spiritdreams
    replied
    I had a little chuckle reading this, crafty tenants, even if you fix it on to a wall, what is stopping tenants from placing a bag of ice (with insulation) or something around it, if they already have the notion of tampering with the thermostat, then it'll become an arms race. you need a degree of trust, you are not running a prison.

BTW Isn't collective punishment againstGeneva Conventions? But I would also ask all tenants to contribute to at least 50% of the rise in bills this one time for beyond fair use, so hopefully it creates a co-enforcement enviroment within the house.

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Originally posted by ram View Post
    nor to have heating on 24 hours a day.

A tenant should act in a tenant like manner / home owner
    Tenant having control means tenant having control. If they want the damn thing on all day and night (and possibly burn up), then that's up to them. The landlord could always offer tenancies with fair use / excess usage charges clause in it, or don't include bills.

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    You can buy a lockable, vandal proof, black box to place over your thermostat that prevents removal from this company:-
    https://www.securitysafetyproducts.c...r-medium.phpmy

Thermostats that are battery powered still functions perfectly.

I have the Salus iT 500 in an Airbnb property and found early on it was being abused. This solved it instantly. I control the temp from my phone.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Issue s21 to all Ts,against all HMO occupants

Proccees against aii if not revealed as culprit by expiry of s21.

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    Bright kids - our future is safe (even though this must have been really annoying for the LL!)

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
    Although I cannot find a source at the moment, my understanding is that tenants have the right to control the heating level.
    Yes, but not deliberate sabotage by moving the thermostat, nor to have heating on 24 hours a day.

A tenant should act in a tenant like manner / home owner, and normality is "timed" central heating.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by KeepTheFaith View Post
    "Centrally controlled space heating systems should operate in a way that makes sure
    occupants are not exposed to cold indoor temperatures.
    21 degrees is not cold.

Leave a comment:

• KeepTheFaith
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
    Although I cannot find a source at the moment, my understanding is that tenants have the right to control the heating level.
    Yes it is in landlords guide to hhsrs p24:

"Centrally controlled space heating systems should operate in a way that makes sure
    occupants are not exposed to cold indoor temperatures. Occupants should be
    allowed to control temperature within their dwelling."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...425/150940.pdf

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Daniel G View Post
    PS: We have an agency managed the property for us but so far they have been useless in many cases (the previous tenants smoked inside the house and ripped off the smoke alarms from the ceiling and regardless of our request, they have not sent anyone to fix yet). We live very far from the property, that's why we have to use full management service from the agency.
    Seems to me that it is time to change your agent.

If they are failing to address a safety issue in the property, then it seems to me that you should be able to terminate the agreement immediately. Remember that they are YOUR agent and should act on YOUR instruction.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    I assume it is some sort of radio thermostat.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Tenants would not be able to put my thermostats in the fridge. They are wired to the wall!

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied

Getting exactly zero doesn't seem likely for a fridge, which will normally be about +4C. I think you should consider a genuine fault, although a simple electronic fault would also not produce a zero reading.

Also most fridges have metal cabinets, and there is a good chance that an RF thermostat would go out of contact if you put it in the fridge.

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    My moms flat is not always warm enough at 21 degrees, but my house is fine at 20:
    . - 21 being bordering on the hot side. ( I have brand new boiler ).

I would write to all tenants stating that the heating system was deliberately sabotaged, to keep the heating on 24 hours a day,and this has caused the heating for that time to quadruple in cost.
    Due to this sabotage, you have no option but to bill everyone for this incident ( via the letting agent ) as no one has admitted to this sabotage.

Leave it at that and bill everyone 25% of your on cost for that period.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X