Most Landlord Friendly Tenancy Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Landlord Friendly Tenancy Agreement

I've previously got burnt using an estate-agents tenancy agreement. I'm looking to revamp all my paperwork going forward. Is there consensus on the best and most landlord friendly tenancy agreement? If so, how do i get a copy?

Also is there a best-practice list for checking in a new tenant? I've seen that people make tenants sign a doc saying they've seen that all smoke alarms are working etc. If there's such a list - or you can detail the specific steps we should take when dealing with new tenants i'd be very appreciative.

Thx.

Join NLA/RLA to use theirs or use Govt standard TA. (not perfect).

Comment

The government model agreement looks pretty good to me, and has the kind of checklists you're looking for.
      Joining a landlord agreement usually gives access to a support service as well as their tried and tested agreements.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Tenant friendly tenancy agreements are hard to come by. Either use the goverment one or one you find in an up-to-date book published by a reputable publisher. Resist the temptation to make changes. As for getting to grips with proper procedure, again a book is probably your best bet.

Comment

Lawcruncher,

Is there any particular book you'd recommend, I think this would be quite useful for me as well

Comment

Sorry, can't help with that question as I have not lived in the UK for a while.

Comment

You lucky person, thanks anyway, I will have a search on google

Comment

The best book is defending possession proceedings by nic madge, jan luba et al. The definitive text for this side of housing law. Its a great book.

Comment

There's a good start point here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=5180214
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 3 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
                    by Heidi2016
                    Thank you for your response. We want to find out who the landlord is because we have found out that the property has no HMO license when it should have one. The council haven’t been informed of the death of the original landlord and the land registry still hasn’t been changed. We have paid our rent...
                    10-04-2021, 21:50 PM
                  • Section 3 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
                    by Heidi2016
                    Under Section 3 LLTA 1985 a new landlord has to provide their details within two months. Does this apply to new landlords who inherit a property from a deceased relative? It’s been a year since the landlord died and I want to speak to the new landlord but the agent won’t give the landlord’s details...
                    09-04-2021, 21:50 PM
                  • Reply to Tenant asks to quit tenancy then changes mind.
                    by Dreamingofsea
                    In addition what I gather from everyone’s advice my tenant is not legally able to give notice in month 3 of a 6 month contract even if I agreed she could leave with no penalty etc. So everything continues as normal for 6 months. Rent can be legally due if she remains in situ. I have found alternative...
                    10-04-2021, 20:48 PM
                  • Tenant asks to quit tenancy then changes mind.
                    by Dreamingofsea
                    Be v grateful for advice. My tenant said she wanted to End her tenancy contract early in month 3 of 6 month contract. I said ok, I ll give deposit back let’s call it s quits. No penalties won t hold her to the rest of the 6 month contract. I then Advised a mum of a friend she could move on...
                    10-04-2021, 03:05 AM
                    by Dreamingofsea
                    Thanks everyone. To be honest DPT 57 it was just an email saying “ I intend to move out on 17th April 2021..... “. It is month 3 of a 6 month fixed term. She wants to leave I said ok because I don t believe in tying people in if they want to move out even though I could have refused it. She...
                    10-04-2021, 20:40 PM
                  • Reply to Water Bill Dispute - how to resolve?
                    by rinseusebang
                    Just a follow up on this - we have figured out why this bill has appeared, however we are waiting for the letting agent to respond and clear it:
                    - There was an issue around our move in that led to the letting agent crediting us X amount of money as an apology.
                    - Once this amount was used...
                    10-04-2021, 20:12 PM
                  • Water Bill Dispute - how to resolve?
                    by rinseusebang
                    Tenancy Began: February 2020
                    Tenancy ended: March 2021

Currently in a dispute over a water bill - the letting agent are paying water for the whole building so it is agreed that tenants pay a requested amount to them throughout contract.

A water bill was given to us in...
                    07-04-2021, 16:18 PM
                    by GaryGoals
                    Question for someone in the know: If a tenant issues a LL with a formal notice to quit in writing etc with dates. If they do not move out after that date, what happens?...
                    10-04-2021, 17:00 PM
                  • Reply to Long Leasehold - Crossover Lease
                    by Lawcruncher
                    I pass on question (1).

Question (2) does rather assume that all the other ways in which the leasehold and freehold interests relate to each are trouble free. That is certainly not the case. In the end, it all comes down to whether people are reasonable and willing to pay their way. Tyneside...
                    10-04-2021, 16:58 PM
                  • Long Leasehold - Crossover Lease
                    by landlord-man
                    TWO QUESTIONS

(1)

If you buy a leasehold flat, who is responsible for "energy efficiency" - the Freeholder or Lessee?

When you come to sell on that flat, you get an EPC - obviously a rating of B would be more attractive than a D - but who legally maintains...
                    10-04-2021, 15:34 PM
                  Working...
                  X