no dss no pets no this or that..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no dss no pets no this or that..

Whatever peoples views are on renting to families with pets or dss,the fact is people from all walks of life in all situations concerning housing more than ever now need a home. The days of the majority of bad tenants renting privately are really not there now. I live in the south east , and have many friends who let and others who are in private rented properties and who are either both in employment or one is, and the other at home with children , or I know those whom are not in employment at present due to marital break up and after their home was sold cannot afford to buy another house on their own with half the equity ,as there is not enough after paying the mortgage off etc so they have no option but to seek private landlord rental property.
    Some tenants pay half rent, supported by some housing benefit to top up due to thier financial situation. Others may have full housing benefit and no option but to not work as the single parent after divorce , or losing thier home or just cannot buy alone so has to therefore remain at home until the children are old enough to be more independent, as working part time and having children as a one parent family is very difficult when the children need the security of the parent to be there eg, school holidays, inset days, poorly days etc as child care is too dear to take on .
    It works out the wages full or part time are lost to the child care fees and taken into account as part of the overall picture with other benefits, so in one hand and out the other.
    Working full time is possibly a financially better option as a lone parent with child care costs helped by benefit, but dont you think it would be more sense to up peoples wages nationwide to be in line with all the incredible cost of living and expenses? silly question...
    Getting back though to the point which is still related to this, Dss , pets and children are nearly always excluded from rental properties, so how do the landlords expect to find a perfect couple with no children, ? as most want them at some point, and to let a 3 bed house with no children seems ridiculous. no pets ? well that should not always be a problem, if the rules are laid down for the tenant to abide by concerning the care of the house they are renting with pets, eg no pets upstairs{ stair gate? maybe hardwearing wood flooring , any noise from a pet over a certain period of time which can cause neighbours annoyance can be included in the agreement, and the choice of action be of the landlords discression.
    Not all properties are suitable for pets, but most are suitable for children. dss should not be an issue, you still need references for any tenant, the money is paid to the landlord, either by the tenant or direct to the landlord via housing benefit, the landlord still receives it as can be set up from a tenants bank account which is purely for the rent and paid automatically as a standing order, or however it is requested.
    people are having to rent more than ever due to high rise property prices, and no council houses available as are in such demand and such a shortage, so the letting agents are now pushing up the prices for rental due to the need.
    The estate agents have managed to push prices up dramatically in the last few years without any thought as to how they have historically caused this country to change drastically in the housing economy, people moving abroad to get away from the UK before they lose their homes, people buying to let to make money out of property, its all gone completely crazy, this country is in a really bad state, so the English are going to find it virtually impossible to get on the property ladder.
    So landlords should be thinking of the huge amount of people out there who need a home desperately now and many many to come,. why should would - be tenants be penalized more by the high rental after losing or having to sell up their homes due to the high cost of living and mortgage repayments? where are the English going to live? Allow their children, allow pets if possible,
    You get your rent due and should be on time if its worked right from the beginning by both landlord and tenant .
    Theres always bad landlords and bad tenants, but the majority are fine, just so the regulations are covered in all areas for the landlord and tenants peace of mind.
    The asking prices for rental property are not always being achieved, no matter what the agents are pricing them at, many friends and others I know have offered hundreds less on rental properties as they cannot afford the prices, and are let to them on an agreed far lower price since the properties are vacant for quite a long time which is not good for the owner of the property.
    prices of £1000 plus, even up to £1,500 for 3 bed semis is outrageous , its obvious that its part greediness on the estate agents side for bigger commission, and part for the owner whom most only have one house to rent whilst buying another to live in and are needing the high rental to make a small profit and to pay the high mortgages, and to keep the house inhabited for its their nest egg later in life, since pensions were affected. This mean charging sky high rent. it just is not working as many houses become re-available for rent after a short time, as people move on to a cheaper realistic priced rental property, so its a risky business. but most are offering well under the asking price since most cannot get the top price asked, in actual fact its quite alot being knocked down to. Its all over rated this property market game, its messing with the future of our childrens lives, and in the meantime showing us this country is actually losing more and more by emigrating . seems like plenty are coming here.. but we wont go there, its going to be a huge shock for them in a few years , one cannot deny the country has misplaced loyalties

and the question is???

Comment

Sarah,
      I can see where you are coming from but you may see that the one reply you have had sums up the attitude of the type of person you are dealing with in the private sector. There are only three things which drive the private rental sector = money, money and more money.

This is in part why our housing stock is in such a bad way with so many houses in need of repair as landlords get the max out by putting the minimum in.

Being a good landlord is about understanding the responsibilities that come with making the money, how many times have I read the words "They are only tenants."

How many times have I read that tenants who know their rights and exercise them are "troublesome" and are a "problem tenant" simply because they know more than their landlord.

When the Golden Goose is dead it will be too late.

Comment

I think poppy had a valid point WHAT IS THE QUESTION??

Comment

The thing is with dss payments is that the dss payments can take upto 6-8 weeks to be confirmed and then they are not always full rent and tenants cannot afford the diffrence in the rent and then rent arrears occur.

Comment

the tenants have to pay a deposit, and up front a month or two of rent even when applying for housing benefit, so by the time housing benefit is paid, the payments have been up to date. saying that, I cannot speak for just housing benefit payments without money from other income other than benefit contributed by the tenant , how long and how much of the time is overlapped from application is something I am interested to find out.. but I do know that when a would be tenant applies for housing benefit, the housing team go through all the income including benefits, wages etc with them and calculate what rent they can afford, and what housing benefit is going to be granted, it is then that there is a clear picture of the amount the tenant will be granted towards a rental property, if there is a shortfall then it is already calculated by the housing representatives at the council offices and the shortfall is made clear and the tenant pays this top up based on how much their total income comes to, they inform the tenant of how much the rental price would be to afford and offer to a landlord, this gives them the opportunity to only offer on what they can realistically pay. so there would not be a situation whereby the tenant is allowed to go into a rental property without knowing the complete financial situation , eg. there income, housing benefit allowance, and outgoings are all put together and assessed and put on paper for the tenant and the relevant parties in the housing and benefit sector . therefore no shortfall to become behind with the rent would happen, the tenant cannot rent something that they cannot afford when the housing and benefits are advising from the initial claim.

Comment

no real question..

sorry that it seemed long and drawn out , there was not a direct question in my message but merely making a kind of statement . the problem is, I am going to be joining all in the tenant landlord situation, I have owned my home for the last 20 years, and soon wont. I do have friends who have become in the same boat as I over the last few years, and of course those who wont and are luckier than myself and many others. theres nothing wrong with renting if its a choice thing, but mine is not. I have bought and sold a few properties over the years and they were family homes for a few years at a time, not purley bought to sell on quick, but as a family with children, we chose to buy something that needed a bit of doing up, and would sell in a few years and meanwhile enjoy living there whilst doing it up. we made some profit on selling, and bought about 4 properties over a 20 year period, not many but to try and reduce our mortgage as we went along with the profit on each house we sold. my point though is, when there were these so called booms in property, they were created by the estate agents, needing to find a way to get the commission up, ok thats how it goes, but not in the most important purchase we would ever make, our homes. I have watched the property go up and up, year after year and watch on the internet the so called hots pots go through the roof and push local people out of the area and forced to leave there local jobs. I know of many people who lived in small towns and villages, mainly coastal who have been pushed out simply by the property developers, all encouraged by the word of the estate agent of another hot spot. the locals are the historical of the places they have lived and those before them, they made the places what they are today, the local communities, local schools, bakers corner shops and the other tradesmen. but then along come city folk who drive up the prices to buy a second home by the sea. who is going to serve and keep the villages going for these newcomers, if the locals leave? who will repair their plumbing, wiring, in general everything that the second home would need to keep from falling in disrepair. It was a time a while ago, when we moved back to the coastal town I left a few years before, we went into rented for the winter to find a house , we had sold and had equity, but then there was another boom in property, and it hit us bad, our equity seemed to shrink as the prices coastally went up, we tried further inland but it went madly out of control, so we had to move back to where we came from before and bought something much smaller than we had sold, its too drawn out to go into, but over the last few years its been an upward struggle for other reasons and now our equity is too small, the mortgage too big, the cost of living spiralling out of control and now am going to have to rent permanently from the very source that has helped cause our situation in the first place, so no questions , just wish there were some answers worth a listen.

Comment

Well, try this then from a landlords perspective:

9 a.m. yesterday morning get a call from one of my tenants - heating system not working - its Saturday - I spend the next hour ringing round to find someone to attend to it - British Gas useless, most others on holidays etc. (I have a maintenance plan which kicks in at end of guarantee period on 4th April so I cannot use them).

Eventually I find someone at £79 per hour plus parts. Arrange for them to be at the property within 2 hours - give em tenants phone number and tell tenant if not sorted by 1 p.m. to phone me on my mobile.

2 p.m. - no call from either tenant or repairer. Call tenant, he tells me he reset the system at 12 midday and it came back on. I resisted the temptation to lose my temper and say "WTF didnt you call me?" He wanted the repairer to call out even though it would be obvious that they would walk in - find heating system on - report that was so and charge for an hour or two. Its a regulated ternancy, so for each hour I lose a weeks rent!!!!!

I have got a suspicion that the tenants don't know how to use the heating system even though they have been instructed properly - I mean the tenant did not know if it had a digital clock in the boiler unit (have not seen the actual system myself).

Now I am renting out quality housing for people, some of my tenants are on HB/LHA. Yes, I want the max I can get out of it with the least outlay and for that my tenants get a good response and repairs done quickly usually in hours.

Its a business like any other.
                If you don't like me, take your business elsewhere - you might be lucky and end up with a landlord like me, or you might not. I have one simple policy regarding pets - one dog or cat. I will turn a blind eye to the dog having pups or the cat having kittens provided it goes back to one asap. Children are ok provided the house is not unlawfully overcrowded. I accept reasonable wear and tear and I come down heavily on tenants who either leave the house in a mess or rip my fixtures out and take them.

My rent control is second to none. Your rent is due on x day. If it isnt paid, I will be onto the tenant the next day to find out why - its my income, my pay for what I do - wouldn't you object if your employer paid you late?

I get very few problems. I have had tenants bother me on Xmas day (it was same ones as above) about a slight leak on a roof which was fixed immediately the xmas hols were over - I take it all with a smile and rarely lose my temper no matter how irritating the problem is.

For all this, I expect rent to be paid on time and to get a decent rate of return.

Comment

I am not sure that its the estate agents' fault. They couldn't sell a house for these huge amounts if buyers weren't prepared to over extend themselves and if financial institutions weren't prepared to lend people more than is sensible.

Buyers have been prepared to over extend themselves because they have an expectation that the property will shoot up in value. However, since one has to live somewhere (and pay the newly inflated price to buy a new house when you sell your old one) the only people to gain from huge property price increases are those with more than one property or those downsizing. The flip side is that those without a property (and that includes any children of the lucky homeowners!) have an almost impossible task to buy their own home.

But I don't think you can blame any particular group. Some people blame the banks for not saving us from ourselves and lending us too much. Some people blame the govt or housebuilders for not increasing supply of houses people actually want (unlike an oversupply of new build flats). I'd say that buyers also are to blame for falling victim to the consumerist temptation to pay "over the odds" for a house because they simply MUST have it. A lot of people are part of the problem (including ourselves).

To address your concern that LL act unfairly by not wanting DSS tenants or those with kids etc. I can sympathise. HOWEVER, the problem with the rental laws of this country is that a T who doesn't fulfill their responsibilities has too many rights to shaft the LL. If they don't pay the rent or wreck the place, if their kids draw on the walls or damage the furniture etc there is very little the LL can do about it until at least 2-3 months have gone by, quite possibly with no rent coming in. This is why LLs are wary to take on people in your situation- you may be a wonderful tenant who we would feel good about providing a service to, but you may be a disaster waiting to happen and one month's rent and a deposit don't go very far if that happens! (Personally I would be happy for Tenants to have more security of tenure so as to provide security for families etc BUT it would need to be matched with a genuinely speedy and fool proof method of removing those who don't pay the rent or who damage the property.) As unfair as it may seem, those dependent on state benefits/on low incomes are clearly more of a risk than those with jobs and the tendency of local authorities to encourage those who want council housing to force the LL to evict them and get the bailiffs round before they will house them does nothing to help!

Comment

Hi Sarah,

I sympathise with your situation and understand your frustration, but you will find that a lot of the landlords on this forum (including myself) are renting to tenants on Housing Benefit and have had experience of good and bad HB tenants and good and bad working tenants.
                    In my experience working for Citizens Advice, HB have no part in working out whether a property is affordable for a tenant, that is the tenant's decision.
                    You are probably aware that from 7th April, Local Housing Allowance will be introduced for all HB claimants taking on a new private tenancy. This means all claimants and all landlords will know what the maximum HB will be for any household so they will know exactly how much top-up they will have (after means-testing). The other main change is that HB will be paid direct to the tenant in the majority of cases- which will no doubt lead some landlords to be more reluctant to take tenants on HB, although the numbers have not got down significantly in the pilot areas.

If you do have specific questions in the future, you will find lots of people here with a lot of knowledge to help you. Good luck finding somewhere.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X