Return of deposit from DPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return of deposit from DPS

Letting Agent had just provided return of deposit from DPS to cover costs of repair to property on tenant vacating.

Tenant didn't contact during the claim process, so it had to be waited out for the maximum period (8-12 weeks is it?)

Money has landed in my account, but it is somewhat short of the full amount held. Contacted Agent and they have stated that it is due to the deduction of Solicitors fees and they had to get them to swear on oath??

I've claimed deposits back before through other Agents and never had this issue and always recieved the amount I was expecting back with no fees incurred.

Does this sound right?

Yeah. It's due to tenant not responding. I hope it did not cost you much.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      Yeah. It's due to tenant not responding. I hope it did not cost you much.
      Thanks - but I've had this before where tenant has not responded or gone AWOL and had the full amount returned?

£50 + VAT

Comment

It could depend on the scheme. An oath would be required for a custodial scheme. For an insured scheme the money was always with the agent, so no oath is required.

Comment

Does your contract with your agent mention anything related to it?
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

My solictor charged me £10 to counter sign the form, which involved him coming to my home.
            But there's a form to fill in and some minor admin for the agent.

Doesn't sound too terrible.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I get charged £5 for swearing an oath

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                My solictor charged me £10 to counter sign the form, which involved him coming to my home.
                But there's a form to fill in and some minor admin for the agent.

Doesn't sound too terrible.
                Do you mean "doesn't sound too terrible" as in the £50 + VAT that I've been charged?

Comment

Originally posted by Landlord1878 View Post
                  Do you mean "doesn't sound too terrible" as in the £50 + VAT that I've been charged?
                  Yes.
                  It's a bit more than I'd have expected, but it's not the end of the world.
                  The agent's had to do a bit of work and that's how they make their money.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes.
                    It's a bit more than I'd have expected, but it's not the end of the world.
                    The agent's had to do a bit of work and that's how they make their money.
                    Thanks.

If you take a look at the attached screenshot taken from the DPS form that they filled in, using this free dispute resolution service, does this not mean a swearing of oath wouldn't have been required?

Comment

If the tenant doesn't respond, the only option is the single claim process if the deposit is held in a custodial scheme.

The deposit is the tenant's money and the scheme can't release it without their consent unless there is a reason (hence the claim form),

Comment

If the tenant doesn't respond, the only option is the single claim process if the deposit is held in a custodial scheme.

The deposit is the tenant's money and the scheme can't release it without their consent unless there is a reason (hence the claim form),
                        Thank you very much

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X