Rodent Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodent Issue

Hi, my tenant has reported an issue with the electrics and believes mice may have entered the property and chewed through a wire causing an issue with the cooker. I have arranged for an electrician to investigate. I lived at the property for 6 years before letting it and there hasn't been any issue with rodents whatsoever. I am not aware the tenant is doing anything specifically to encourage rodents. As a Landlord am I wholly responsible for intruders, albeit mice, entering my property?
    Regards

You are responsible for keeping the structure of the property intact to stop rodents getting in where they shouldn't.
    So holes in walls or loft space.

The tenants are responsible for getting rid of the pests that they have let enter.
    So point them at the council (or yellow pages) for someone to remove the pests and, if they find out how they're getting in, they can get you to fix the problem if it's fixable.

No property can be rodent proof, mice and rats can use doors and windows like people can.
    And once they're in, they don't have much need to go back out again.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
      Orangesandlemons
      Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
      22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
    • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
      AndrewDod
      - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
      22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
    • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
      Joe.K
      Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
      The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
      20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
    • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
      Joe.K
      Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
      22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
    • Agent ignoring periodic option
      oakhill
      My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
      I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
      I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
      21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
    • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
      doobrey
      Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
      22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
    • bugs and insects
      Bobby Bakshi
      I have a new tenant and she is complaining about small insects in the flat. I found one tiny one on the ceiling. She is saying there are more but I cannot see them. Is this my responsibility or hers, she has just moved in.
      22-08-2019, 18:51 PM
    • Reply to bugs and insects
      AndrewDod
      The average normal home has hundreds of species of insects and thousands of individual creatures. It is totally normal. If there are no insects at all, the place would have to be so filled with pesticides that they would pose a massive danger to health.

Only a few kinds are bad. Bed bugs...
      22-08-2019, 19:55 PM
    • Inventory not signed
      braquo99
      hi all new land lord here

I created an inventory and passed to the letting agency (tenant find only) who emailed it over to the tenants when they moved in (I was on holiday)
      the tenants came back with some queries and I amended the inventory and mailed it back.

i am now...
      22-08-2019, 19:40 PM
    • Reply to Inventory not signed
      AndrewDod
      Fire the agent as soon as possible. The tenants should not have been given keys without at least some signed inventory....
      22-08-2019, 19:50 PM
    Working...
    X