Rodent Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodent Issue

Hi, my tenant has reported an issue with the electrics and believes mice may have entered the property and chewed through a wire causing an issue with the cooker. I have arranged for an electrician to investigate. I lived at the property for 6 years before letting it and there hasn't been any issue with rodents whatsoever. I am not aware the tenant is doing anything specifically to encourage rodents. As a Landlord am I wholly responsible for intruders, albeit mice, entering my property?
    Regards

You are responsible for keeping the structure of the property intact to stop rodents getting in where they shouldn't.
    So holes in walls or loft space.

The tenants are responsible for getting rid of the pests that they have let enter.
    So point them at the council (or yellow pages) for someone to remove the pests and, if they find out how they're getting in, they can get you to fix the problem if it's fixable.

No property can be rodent proof, mice and rats can use doors and windows like people can.
    And once they're in, they don't have much need to go back out again.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How best to handle a "pet" issue?
      milleniumaire
      Our tenants have been in our rental for nearly 4 years without issue. The original fixed term tenancy agreement gave way to a periodic tenancy. The tenants have been good, if rather untidy!

Over the weekend while performing some maintenance while the tenants were away on holiday for a...
      16-07-2019, 10:04 AM
    • Reply to How best to handle a "pet" issue?
      jpkeates
      I have kept rabbits and they are probably one of the more property damaging pets you can keep.
      The urine is a particularly nasty ammonia smell.

The tenants will claim that they live outside and are only allowed in occasionally, but indoor rabbits are indoor rabbits.
      I'd suggest...
      16-07-2019, 12:13 PM
    • Council tax debacle.
      buttons
      I had a tenant do a runner on the 10th May, I only learned of this on 11th June when no housing benefit was paid to me as it was direct payment.
      I received the keys from the tenants daughter on the 15th June, she signed a letter stating tenancy was surrendered and keys returned.
      I wrote...
      16-07-2019, 12:05 PM
    • Reply to Council tax debacle.
      KTC
      Were the tenancy within a fixed term, contractual periodic, or statutory periodic? If periodic, what's the period of the tenancy (e.g. monthly, quarterly, half-yearly)? If contractual periodic, was there an initial fixed term and if so what was its length?
      16-07-2019, 12:10 PM
    • Part of deposit not protected
      coppernob
      Hi all,

Last December we entered into an AST (initial 6 month fixed term) and paid a deposit of £900, which included a £200 pet deposit for our dog. This full £900 was put into the a deposit protection scheme.

Towards the end of January we wished to get another dog, and...
      16-07-2019, 10:26 AM
    • Reply to Part of deposit not protected
      JK0
      Did your dogs leave any deposits though?
      16-07-2019, 12:10 PM
    • Tenant withdrawing notice
      bagus
      I accepted tenants' notice to quit their SPT mid period. Their leaving date is really badly timed for me (2 weeks into summer hols, preventing me taking the kids abroad).

The notice wasn't valid, since it didn't end on the first or last day of the monthly SPT, but I did accept it. Now,...
      16-07-2019, 08:25 AM
    • Reply to Tenant withdrawing notice
      sam_cat
      Let them have their extension. Do check out on your return from holiday. Arrange for a friend to pop around after they have gone to collect keys, check all windows are locked and go from there.
      16-07-2019, 11:15 AM
      coppernob
      What's strange in this particular instance is that we cannot ask for the return of any of the amount (£1,150), despite £900 of it having been there since December!...
      16-07-2019, 11:11 AM
      KTC
      This came up before and I had the same question then. On what legal basis does the DPS have with having a 30 days you can't do anything with this deposit waiting period. Someone really need to ask them that. ...
      16-07-2019, 11:09 AM
    Working...
    X