Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of tenancy questions

My tenant is shortly to leave.....but has raised a couple of questions

1/ they haven't paid the last prorate rent due which is now a week late, is it assumed this is taken from the original deposit ? If not as a landlord is there anything i can do about this?

2/ the tenant has still to agree the checkout date, if they leave without doing this where do i stand as a landlord if any damage is noted ?

any help appreciated

The deposit is not for the last months rent, so you should formally write to the T and demand it.

How do you know the T is going to leave, you would have had to accept the ending of the tenancy, and you and the T should have agreed at that point when it was due to end.

Comment

Again please complete & paste https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ll-new-posters

Comment

I should make it clear . The agent told me that tenant has the right to choose any date and time to check out and do inventory. So everyday is waiting for the final formation from the tenant. I don't feel right since there is lack of communication and he ignored all the messages we sent to him including the agent. So what time will the inventory company do their job is still uncertain. Just wondering what is the rule ? Can't landlord make decision when the check out start at leaving day?

Comment

Originally posted by streetwize View Post
          The agent told me that tenant has the right to choose any date and time to check out and do inventory.
          This seems strange to me and the agent may not be acting in your interests.

How, exactly, has it been determined that your "tenant is shortly to leave"?
          I can think of the following:
          1. tenant has given notice to quit which is valid and legally binding;
          2. tenant has given notice to quit which has been accepted in writing by your agent and so is legally binding;
          3. you have a court order for possession;
          4. your agent has agreed that tenant can surrender the tenancy at a date yet to be agreed.
          Please:
          • advise on how it has been determined that your "tenant is shortly to leave".
          • comply with the request in post #3.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Suicide of tenant
            NickCanterbury
            I rented out my house while working in Europe. One of my tenants commited suicide about three weeks ago and after a several days or more the other two tenants were worried and got the police to break down the door of his room and find his body. A tragedy that has obviously upset me enormously but without...
            17-06-2019, 16:34 PM
          • Reply to Suicide of tenant
            KTC
            It has to be actively disclosed by the seller, not just answered truthfully when asked. Not entirely clear for how long though.
            17-06-2019, 18:28 PM
          • Company lets
            paulamis
            My company are bringing in some Indian nationals for a few months training.

Secretary went and asked local agents and was fobbed off with nonsense like, "has to be an AST and the law says min 1 yr", I guess the agents don't need the complication.
            17-06-2019, 11:41 AM
          • Reply to Company lets
            JK0
            Oh, well good luck with that. ...
            17-06-2019, 18:26 PM
          • dispute with council over council tax
            halfax
            i have been billed for council tax for a property that was rent out. the tenant also ran a pub. he left last november , i told the council he had gone and informed them when the new tenant moved in . they billed me for when the property was empty. and i paid that bill . now 8 moths later the tenat...
            15-06-2019, 16:31 PM
          • Reply to dispute with council over council tax
            KTC
            Then note that in your appeal. They accepted the earlier declaration, so as far as you were concerned documentary evidence of the tenant's occupation was no longer needed to be kept and hence it was destroyed accordingly. They can't go back on their acceptance unless there's evidence you lied. The tenant's...
            17-06-2019, 18:20 PM
          • Tenants splitting up. Guidance please!
            ericawhiteroom
            Hi all,

I have a couple who are splitting up. The situation is amicable and the partner who is leaving is prepared to sign something.

Could anyone guide me in the direction of what he needs to sign. Does anyone have the proper forms needed to sort out deposit shared and what...
            04-06-2019, 09:15 AM
          • Reply to Tenants splitting up. Guidance please!
            ericawhiteroom
            Hiya,

Thanks so much for the info jpkeates - really appreciate it.

The deed of surrender looks great. The tenancy agreement is about 53 pages long, is that normal? That is going to take about half of my ink cartridge out lol

Do you know if there is anything ...
            17-06-2019, 18:18 PM
          • Reply to Company lets
            leaseholder64
            Companies that are not in the property business generally lease their properties. Similarly with cars....
            17-06-2019, 18:16 PM
          • Reply to Suicide of tenant
            nukecad
            Sorry if this sounds callous.

But I have cleared up after more than one suicide.
            (I'm not a landlord, but life is life - or not).

After a 'few days' there should not have been much decomposition. A few weeks would be different.

Voiding of bowels is to be...
            17-06-2019, 18:10 PM
          Working...
          X