Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding a Competent Inventory Company

Hi

I've been a uk landlord for a few years now and have always used estate agent inventory providers to draw up check-in inventory documents.

I discovered recentally (due to extensive research defending my consumer right to recieve an inventory document fit for purpose) that not one of the various inventorys I've recieved in the previously, would stand up to scrutiny... (NB: I've not always used the same provider).

Luckily (I think) the estate agents I used this time, managed to appease the situation by placing a covenant on the inventory document which allows me some fututure protection should things go wrong. But how do I ensure this doesn't happen again... How do I as a landlord ensure I recieve a decent professional inventory?

I manage the property myself, currently have a good tenant in place and only use the estate agents to source new tenants, check backgrounds & credit history, write contracts and setup deposits. Please advise!

All inventory's should be provided by an competent inventory clerk, some bodies are APIP and AIIC, but they may all have their own way of detailing a property, you could ask the provider to send you a a draft or a specimen example prior to engaging with them.

Comment

As ash said, the AIIC is the association for independent clerks.

ARLA cover clerks who are also agents or work closely enough not to be deemed totally independent.

APIP is a new association, born out of the AIIC.

All of them have Find a Clerk listings.

BUT even using them will not guarantee you an inventory that will cover all eventualities, indeed many are abysmal as there are no laws regarding them, just guidelines, 'best practice' and whatever the chosen App allows- and, saying that, I am a clerk and I am often depressed by inventories I see!

Have a look in the listings and contact nearby clerks. Ask for samples of inventory, check in and check out documents and make up your mind based on those!

Good luck

Comment

Hi

My most recent inventory was completed by a APIP approved body and the documemt proved to be factually inaccurate as well as lacking proper detail.

What's more, I was pretty much on my own when it came to making a complaint. Internet sources kept reiterating that check-in inventories cannot be changed and an inventory providers opinion/assessment is final. Which would be useful except for the fact that I never had an issue with the opinions in the report, my issues were more fundamental.

In the end, I went to a lot of effort to find relevant 'best practice' guidelines online, which allowed me to defend my right to a document fit for purpose. - Before finding the comprehensive 'best practice' guide, both my estate agent and inventory provider were completely unwilling to speak to me. I was not advised of my rights or given the option of inventory rectification despite highlighting the factual discrepancies prior to my tenant signing their contract. - The whole saga took months to sort out and there still may be consequences come check-out.

- Why are bad inventory providers allowed to get away with such shoddy work... there seems to be no accountability!?
        - And if a guide to minimum standards can be ignored (after all its only a guide), then what's the point in completing the job properly. Surely inventory providers are paid per document; meaning those who complete more documents, earn more?
        - Is the current system set up to encourage shoddy workmanship?
        - Are we being ripped off?

I do like your suggestions to ask for sample inventories, which I hadn't thought of doing previously. I also wondered if I should ask for check-in inventories to be completed one week in advance of a new tenant - hopefully catching factual errors in future?

Comment

Hi blondie735

Keen to know how you went about on making a complaint on this because I am in a similar (if slightly worse) situation. My tenants recently moved out and an inventory check out was performed. After I received the report, I went to the property to check out the condition myself. However the report is filled with several inaccuracies and items that the clerk had completely missed. I know they had done a shoddy job because I had been living in the property myself before the tenants moved in!

The inventory check-out report is signed by the tenant and the inventory report and was distributed by the LA to myself and the tenants at the same time. I want to make deductions but am concerned that these flaws have not been identified in the inventory check-out.

Can you share the best practice guidelines?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X