Agency stalling on depost return over repair quote

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Agency stalling on depost return over repair quote

    Hello just wondering about how best to resolve a situation with my former rental agency.
    We left the property on 1 November and a check-out report was carried out the following day in our absence. This report was then circulated to ourselves and the landlord and by 7th November it was agreed that a deduction for ‘damage’ would be made for a small (~1 square cm) chip/scuff to the paintwork of the inside of a hallway door frame (I suppose we could have contested that being wear and tear but whatever…). Since then however we have not heard anything from the agent about what sum they will be deducting from the deposit of £1500 for this damage. We have emailed once and called three times to ask for a sum but each time we told the agent’s contractor has yet to get back to them with an invoice quote. It is now 16 calendar days since we received the checkout report, 14 days since the agreement between parties on damage and 20 days since leaving the property and we still have no idea how much of the deposit we will be getting back or when. The latest phone call to the agent was rather terse with her again saying she is awaiting an email from the contractor and that she would get back to me as soon as this occurred but to be frank I am getting a little annoyed by the delay. £1500 is not an inconsequential sum of money to us. At pointing out the length of time we have been waiting the agent became snappy and said it is our fault we are having to wait since we left the property with dilapidations and had we not done so we would have had the deposit back within a week...

    I now have no option but to keep waiting to hear back from the agent (whenever that may be) but legally where do I stand? Should I start submitting a claim to the deposit protection scheme or would this inflame matters? I know an agent has to return a deposit within 10 days of request but given I am still unsure what exactly would be deducted returned I'm not sure if we even at that stage yet.

    I don’t know if we have even technically fully requested the deposit return as I didnt explicitly state 14 days ago "please return the deposit wihtin 10 days" although clearly we have requested in aroundabouts terms when the agreement on the damage was made. So can the agent keep stringing us along waiting for their contractor to give a quote?

    Thanks for advice!

    Just make a claim already.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

    I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.


      Make a claim ASAP. It will focus the mind of the agent. And it may help with sentiment of the adjudicator should it go to dispute.

      From the attitude of the agent, it sounds like it will go to dispute...


        Make a claim with an amount deducted that you think is appropriate.

        The landlord is entitled to compensation for loss, not necessarily the cost of the repair.

        A scuff sounds minor and pretty close to worthless as a claim.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


          Submit claim to the scheme.
          Ask for it all back, or if you are feeling generous ask for all except £10.


          Latest Activity