Who is responsible for keeping gas hob jets clean please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is responsible for keeping gas hob jets clean please

Please can you advise whose responsibility is it to clean out gas hob jets if they become blocked, tenant or landlord? Our tenant has asked the gas man when he was doing the landlord gas safety cert to do this, and he has made a separate charge for this. Previously they have asked us to do it.

You gotta be joking!

Comment

No,not joking. I dont know. I believe it is a tenant responsibility - if i had a gas hob i would not call out a gas engineer to clean out these blocked holes. i mean the holes the flames come out of.

Comment

Tenant fo'sure. I usually clean that stuff as part of generally cleaning my hob.

Comment

Tenant is responsible, however if the gas hob is blocked, you may fail the gas inspection.

Thats why I always stick to ceramic hobs.

Comment

Was it British Gas? A tenant of mine asked one of their engineers to do something extra and they sent me a bill. When I rang them they said I didn't have to pay as I should have been contacted to authorize the work.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. No it wasn't British Gas - it was an independant GasSafe member. Gas man had been asked before and just told them to clean it - then after we showed the tenants how. Then, just recently, we went there when he was doing the cert, and plumber said the tenant had told him they were not working (blocked) and can he fix it, for which there was a charge.

Comment

If they block, then it is tenant's fault through action or inaction.

Something must have fallen onto the hob to cause the blockage and was not cleaned up by the tenant.

Comment

pay the bill and pass the cost onto the tenant, including a additional cost for admin. if they fail to pay, then I would be issuing a section 21, though I would probably issue one anyway as they seem to ignore your instructions/advice, which long term is not a good situation.

I don't think there was a contract between you and the gas fitter to carry out the extra work, and if it wasnt dangerous - he should have contacted you before doing the work. however, the fitter was probably acting in good faith so if you intend using him again, then pay him in full with a request not to do additional work unless it is dangerous etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X