Carpet Replacement costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpet Replacement costs

I'm in the process of renewing the carpets in my let property. I advised the tenant to chose a carpet within a certain price and to then send me the quote. Included in that quote is £200 for moving the furniture. Am I liable for that or should the tenant be responsible for moving the furniture or pay the fee? The property was let unfurnished.

I never replace floor coverings during a tenancy if I can help it for the above reason among others. I'd suggest to tenant that if he wants the job doing, he covers that cost himself.

Comment

Why are you letting the tenant choose the carpet? Are you assuming you will rip it all out when they leave? If not then I suggest you choose it yourself as you could otherwise end up with something completely innappropriate. However, as JKO says, wait until this tenancy is over if they are not prepared to move their furniture themselves.

Comment

The tenant is a longstanding tenant - he has been there 14 years with no plans to leave soon. The carpet is the original that I put down before the tenancy started. I always thought that carpet was mandatory? I advised him to go to the shop I have used many times and to chose a carpet as near exact to what is being replaced which he has done. I am happy to replace the carpet but just not happy that the quote includes moving his furniture.

Comment

Provided the tenant doesn't go mad (and put down some mad colour), I'd agree with the approach.
          14 years is a long time for a carpet to have lasted and it probably does need to be replaced.

I also agree that you aren't liable to pay for the furniture to be moved, moving the furniture s a normal thing for someone having carpet laid to have to do.
          I can quite understand the tenant asking for you to pay it, though - always worth an ask.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Musely View Post
            The tenant is a longstanding tenant - he has been there 14 years with no plans to leave soon.
            With multiple tenants in 14 years, I would expect to have replaced the carpet at least twice.

If you have a good long-term tenant, then you have avoided the cost of voids and re-letting, which would probably be much more than £200.

I would suggest putting it to tenant that tenant should move own furniture or pay to have it moved, but if she digs in, then you cover it "because she has been a good tenant".

Comment

Just to add, if all the furniture belongs to the tenants, then I would be very careful if you take on responsibility of moving it. Any breakages and the tenant will come after you. You in turn will have to chase the carpet fitter. Do they have professional indemnity insurance etc.?

Better you ask the tenant to provide her own muscle to move the furniture, and for being a good tenant give her £100-200 for the trouble. She can then get family members or local labourers to help her and she takes all the risk.

And 14 years!!! I wouldn't quibble too much, you've been lucky and have saved significant costs in that time (advertising fees, contracts, deposit protection, agent fees etc...)

Comment

For a 14 year tenant I would be happy to pay £200, however as others have suggested, you don't want to mess with her furniture yourself, get her to hire movers or friends, and reimburse her, that way if there are any damages, it stays between the company (or friends) she hired and herself.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I sometimes forget that having a good tenant over a long period is worth its weight in gold. So quibbling about £200 seems a little mean!!!!

Comment

But you need to show T you are a soft touch - negotiate with T.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X