Modifications without consent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ann74 View Post
    JKO- that's a great accurate reference for them!

Unfortunately the referencing company is only asking for yes/ no answers. So they are asking "Has the tenancy been conducted in a satisfactory manner?" and "do you consider the applicant to be a good tenant?"... my opinion is "no" to both of those. But it is only my opinion and its not like they were the worst ever tenants. Also they are still in my property. So maybe its best to let them go quietly
    And that is exactly the problem a landlord faces when asking for references... Current landlord may want them gone without rocking the boat so a less than fully honest reference is given..

Comment

Yes - let them go quietly.
      I don't give references and it's never been an issue.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

So I don't even have to give them a reference ? Wouldn't that make it more difficult for them to rent the next place if their landlord won't even give them a reference?

Comment

I'm thinking maybe the best thing to do is not provide a reference at all, saying I don't give references. Then give them their 2 months notice, now that I know they are looking to move (even after they agreed to the rent rise. Which was dishonest of them). Then I can start advertising and getting in new tenants. I don't believe in giving a good reference for bad tenants, its not fair on the new landlord. I don't understand why some tenants sign a contract they have no intention of sticking to, I bet they didn't even read it. They need to learn if they make landlord's life hell then karma has it they are making their own life more difficult too. I was a very good landlord to them and didn't deserve any of this, and neither does the next good landlord

Comment

Then tick 'no' on the form where you think it should be ticked.

Comment

UPDATE:

I decided the best thing to do, as they had paid their rent on time and not been the worst tenants, that I would give them a chance to put back the unauthorised loft hatch changes to how it was and then I would provide them with an acceptable reference to move to their new property. I gave them 7 days to do this and asked for their forwarding address. They agreed. I just went round to check the loft, they had amended the loft hatch BUT removed all the loft boards I had up there. It wasn't fully boarded but i'm almost certain it was partially boarded up there (perhaps 15 odd boards as I recall thinking I could walk half way across). I spoke to the wife and her mum who was there, and they said they had put up some of their own boards ages ago but can't remember how many, she said her Dad did it. Acting all innocent. I said well I wasn't ever told you were using the loft and have only noticed you were using my loft. She said yes I know sorry. So she agreed her Dad would put back some boards as they are still in the garage (I checked and there are 16 boards that all look the same), and I asked perhaps she could ask her Dad how many he'd installed of his own. I bet they only put back like 4 boards at the most. I said I would check again in 3 days time when I could get to the property. But what a cheek to take my loft boards with them. I wonder if they have got permission from the new landlord as obviously I bet they will do the same to them, install these loft boards (of mine into his/ her loft). I wish I'd had asked the inventory man to go up there and take photos. Because I can't prove how many they are taking of mine. I'm sooooo glad I had an inventory done on the house! I bet they'd have taken all the curtain poles, lamp shades and kitchen sink if they could!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X