Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 214 Claim - Advice Requested

Hi All,

I wonder if I can get some advice on a Section 214 claim that I wish to submit.

I had a 6 month tenancy which began in March 2018. It expired in October 2018 and I moved out without any issues. The managing agent was pretty poor throughout and advised that they would be requesting a £500+ reimbursement from my £1,425 deposit for dilapidations. Fortunately, I was able to successfully demonstrate their deceitful claims with evidence that I made at the start of my tenancy and after threatening legal action against the Landlord, the agent quickly decided that my deposit should be returned in full.

During this 'argumentative' process though, I tried to find out where my deposit was so I could raise a dispute in the formal way. I asked my agent to provide me with my deposit certificate number and prescribed information on three individual occasions after my tenancy ended. They ignored all of my requests despite replying to my other queries. I also formally requested it 3 weeks into my tenancy but this request wasn't responded to either. Unfortunately, due to two family deaths and planning / having my wedding during my tenancy, I forgot about chasing this until I needed the information.

I had to undertake my own enquires with deposit agencies to locate my deposit and fortunately found out that it was protected with the DPS. They advised that the agent provided the wrong contact information for me which is why I didn't receive direct communication from them about my deposit. They advised that my deposit WAS protected within the 30 days though.

I sent my agent and landlord a 'letter before action' and email detailing that I felt that they were in breach of Section 214 of the Housing Act because whilst they protected my deposit within 30 days, they failed repeatedly to give me the certificate number and prescribed information. The agent responded back via email and stated: 'I understand you are upset the prescribed information was not provided when requested, I’m sure you can appreciate I have staff members in different departments, so this request had been sent onto previous staff members who dealt with the deposits at the time. If they did not send this through, I apologise'.

I continued to state that I was not happy with this response and that I was keen on being reasonable about a compensation request. They sent me another email back stating that I was suddenly in breach of my old tenancy by allowing my partner to reside with me, and that they didn't take any action against this and that 'It’s a shame you now feel the need to seek compensation for an admin error.' Not only is their claim an absolute lie, but it made me feel like they were trying to blackmail me whilst admitting their 'admin error'.

Their 'admin error' caused me stress and panic whilst trying to locate my deposit over their deceitful claims. I'm keen on taking action against them still, especially now the 14 days has passed since my letter, so would really appreciate some advice on whether a judge would generally find in my favour and if there is any more I can do to try and settle this amicably before having to go to court? Also, if it did go to court, what is the likely outcome? I'm not being greedy and would never want 3 x the deposit amount - but feel like suitable reimbursements should be made - if only to force the agent to learn from their bad service.

It's worth mentioning that despite sending a copy to the Landlord via post and email, I haven't heard from him at all.

Thank you in advance.

so would really appreciate some advice on whether a judge would generally find in my favour
    Yes.

Also, if it did go to court, what is the likely outcome?
    A statutory penalty against the landlord or the agent of between one and three times (inclusive) of the amount of the deposit, plus court cost assuming you ask for it, plus any other recoverable cost that the court may award.

It's worth mentioning that despite sending a copy to the Landlord via post and email, I haven't heard from him at all.
    Name both as defendants and let the court sort out who to award the penalty against.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

If it is custodial scheme, then there is probably no requirement to provide a certificate.

Comment

If the landlord (or their agent) didn't tell the tenant which scheme the deposit is protected in, then they can't possibly have complied with the prescribed information requirements, unless the tenant simply forgotten.

But yes, many landlord and tenant think the deposit ID and/or a certificate issued by the scheme is what's meant by prescribed information when it's not.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Calculating/Limiting My Risk
          Claymore
          Hi

My former home is up for rent. Current tenants are leaving in a couple of weeks. I have a set of prospective tenants who really want the house. On my pre-screening questionnaire, I asked the question 'do you have a good credit history'. The answer came back as No, followed by an...
          11-12-2018, 01:03 AM
        • Reply to Calculating/Limiting My Risk
          jpkeates
          Because no one knows which two months will be rent free until notice is served.

The landlord is holding money that will discharge a liability of the tenant at some indeterminate point in the future.
          Which is a deposit.

Until the rent that will be paid is due, the money...
          11-12-2018, 16:46 PM
        • damage, garden maintenance and cleaning dispute
          ivanest
          Hi All

The tenants that left the property last week after 2.5 years and an initial 12 month let.

The garden has a tall hedge, it is not a boundary hedge as there is a fence on the boundary and all the hedge trees are on our land but the foliage reaches over the fence.
          10-12-2018, 01:08 AM
        • Reply to damage, garden maintenance and cleaning dispute
          MdeB
          My guess is that this was previously the landlord's home (or possibly a family member's) and LL broke the rule "don't leave anything in the property that you are not willing to lose"
          11-12-2018, 16:07 PM
          MdeB
          But if rent is to be paid 3 months in advance, then it is known for which month(s) any payment is made. They can then not pay the last w=two months after giving notice because they have already paid it....
          11-12-2018, 16:03 PM
          Claymore
          This is not my only rent paying property.

I think it's best to look into the insurance scheme - it just suits me that they only want to rent for 1 to 2 years....
          11-12-2018, 15:55 PM
        • BTL accepting lease agreement
          Beanbag75
          Hi All.

Dipping in for some advice please.

I have a property with current BTL of 75%. No adverse credit etc..
          Struggling to find a lender who will accept my current tenant going forward as it's leased to a care home operator.
          One lender had agreed to the tenant,...
          11-12-2018, 15:06 PM
        • Reply to BTL accepting lease agreement
          Beanbag75
          Thanks for the reply.
          I've gone through quite a few brookers and nothing is being placed on the table.

So basically I've been looking in the wrong pool of lenders?
          I did approach a commercial lender but they were talking of fees of 5k + product fees....on a 120k loan I found...
          11-12-2018, 15:28 PM
        • section 21 and how to rent guide
          lavy
          Hi do you have to serve an up to date how to rent guide when a tenancy moves to a periodic tenancy from a standard 6 months tenancy or is the original how to rent guide sufficient in order to serve a valid section 21 notice...
          09-12-2018, 10:11 AM
        • Reply to section 21 and how to rent guide
          KTC
          It doesn't really have to be before the replacement tenancy starts, it just has to be before any section 21, but yes about new guide.

It's a new tenancy, so the requirements to provide a guide applies again, and because there's a new version, you don't get the exemption to not provide it...
          11-12-2018, 15:24 PM
        Working...
        X