Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause

Hi,

I'm currently in a flat with a one-year fixed term contract. There is a 6-month break-clause in place which allows me to end the agreement / contract with a 2-month notice after 6 months of occupancy.

I've handed in the notice however, the landlord & letting agency have mentioned that I'll still be liable for paying the pro-rata commission that will be incurred by the landlord during the unexpired portion of the tenancy i.e. since I'm leaving after occupying 6 months of occupancy, I'll need to pay the landlord's letting agency fees (~13% of the monthly rent) for the remaining 6-months.

I'd be really grateful if someone can answer a couple of questions on this:

1. I presume the way letting agency fees work is the landlord is obligated to pay them a commission on a monthly basis regardless of whether a tenant is occupying the flat. However, if the flat is re-let after my departure, the landlord can simply use the new tenant's rent to fulfil this obligation.

It seems an unfair transfer of obligation to the old tenant i.e. me to cover the landlord's letting agency fees even after a new tenant has occupied the flat. Is this a sufficient basis to question this clause and avoid payment of this fee (~ £1,200 for an unexpired period of 6-months) even though it's in the contract and I've signed it?

2. Since the break-clause essentially terminates the agreement / contract, does it also not make this clause invalid? I.e. I'm not obligated to pay this fee?

Any help on this would be really appreciated. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The exact wording of the letting agency fees & the break-clause are below:

19.2.3 Should the Property be re-let during the Fixed Term, the Tenant will also be responsible for the repayment of any pro-rata commission fees that have been or will be incurred by the Landlord for the unexpired portion of the Tenancy (where <letting_agency_name_removed> is the Letting Agent, this fee is calculated at 13.2% incl VAT (11% + VAT), or of the Rent for the Fixed Term of the Tenancy).

Break-clause:
    Either party shall have the right to terminate this Agreement by giving the other party not less than two months' advance written Notice. In case of the Tenant such Notice will only be effect if sent by recorded delivery to <letting_agency_address> or via email to <letting_agency_email>. This Notice may not expire before the end of the first six months of the Tenancy.

It is ambiguous but I might refuse to pay, write saying why and see if they try to recover the costs.
    You would be paying for a non-service.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

It looks like a penalty clause to me, which is how I'd refer to it in any correspondence.
      They're not legal.

More simply, the break clause notice ends the tenancy, which means that the fixed term has also ended.
      So it's not possible for the property to be re-let during the fixed term.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        It looks like a penalty clause to me, which is how I'd refer to it in any correspondence.
        They're not legal.
        Also refer to it as such when telling the deposit protection scheme that you disagree with the LL/agent trying to deduct the money from your deposit.

It looks to me like the LL has foolishly agreed to pay the agent commission for the 12 months instead of for the length of the tenancy and wants to get the money back from you.

Comment

Hi kaidranzer,

I'm looking to invoke the break clause in my contract and comparing the wording, it looks like I'm with the same real estate agency. Please, can you tell me what the outcome was? Did you have to pay the prorated commission? I've invoked break clauses in the past with different agencies, but they never had such a clause regarding pro rate commission. Any help would be of great help.

TIA

Comment

IMO activation of the break clause only reduces fixed term to SPT after min 6 months.
            Who requested break clause, LL or T?
            Why was the break clause activtated?

Comment

If the break clause is activated the agreement comes to an end. If the agreement has ended clause 19.2.3 cannot be enforced.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unprofessional Landlord and Estate Agent!
                r33c3
                Hey there - TLDR; Do landlords have a responsibility to fix issues in a property within a specific amount of time? Also is it absolutely required for an estate agent to inspect a property before renting it out to another tenant?

I ask because my brother moved into a property back in June...
                04-09-2019, 21:15 PM
              • Reply to Unprofessional Landlord and Estate Agent!
                r33c3
                As an update, hopefully someone can asssist-

My brother has been visiting family and has been out of the property for over a week - he came back (the electrician was due to come while he was away) to the news that the electrician hasn't apparently fixed the plug thats sparking but has advised...
                16-09-2019, 21:06 PM
              • Objection to letting a garage
                steve-123
                I own a flat in a block that I rent out to a doctor.

I've been renting the flat's garage separately for the past two years to a builder who uses it to store work tools and equipment.

Another lease holder in the building has complained about this and is asking that the garage...
                16-09-2019, 20:26 PM
              • Reply to Objection to letting a garage
                leaseholder64
                There is probably also a clause not to sub-let any part, but even without that, I would agree that you are breaching the lease.
                16-09-2019, 20:34 PM
              • Repair costs after burglary my responsibility or not
                aco19
                Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago burglars broke into my rental property late evening. The tenants were not home. There was damage to the back door. The tenants called the police, who then called a repair man for the door. The tenants did call me, but it was 3am and I was asleep and did not...
                16-09-2019, 13:20 PM
              • Reply to Repair costs after burglary my responsibility or not
                AndrewDod
                I think we need more information from the OP to answer this at all. OP, what exactly was the condition of the entrance --

a) What was damaged exactly?
                b) What was repaired exactly?
                c) What was the minimum that could have been done to secure the door against intruders?
                16-09-2019, 20:30 PM
              • Problems with a Management Agency
                BlueMystery
                My son took a 6 month AST out in October 2018.

In March 2019, the management agency advised if he wanted to stay in the property he needed an extension to the agreement, and charged him £90 for the priviledge - although they gave him nothing in the form of new paperwork. He simply signed...
                11-09-2019, 13:32 PM
              • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
                leaseholder64
                It's not illegal, or at least not based on recent legislation. There is a transition period in which exit charges still apply, if agreement was made before June.

There are cases where charges may be made because of exceptional arrangements, even when the new law is fully applied.
                16-09-2019, 20:23 PM
              • licensee vs tenant
                imjustbait
                i have been given 14 days notice -

i asked my friend for help and to sort things out if possible, as he works in lettings etc -

he said to be this is a licensee contract not an (AST) one - (i didnt know)

basically, i want to know what rights i have to...
                07-02-2019, 20:58 PM
              • Reply to licensee vs tenant
                imjustbait
                before this letter, I received a letter of order from the courts saying:

it is hereby heard in court that:

the licence agreement is in a different name to the claimant (or something like that)

im assuming it has something to do with the licence agreement and it...
                16-09-2019, 20:09 PM
              Working...
              X