Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furnished flat turns out to be unfurnished

Hi I'd appreciate some advice here.

I've rented a flat from a friend of a friend, no agent involved. Went to view it and was told that, asides from a couple of bits n bobs like a mirror or picture on the wall what I see is what I get.
    I was happy with what I saw, sans bits n bobs, and agreed to move in today.

Move in day was today and indeed the flat is without the bits and bobs, and practically without anythingelse at all. Besides a mangy fridge freezer that wasn't there when I saw the property, the oven and sofa, everything is missing. Even light bulbs, bathroom cabinet, bed... The lot. I signed the tenancy agreement at my house, but noticed that nothing was listed under inventory. It doesn't say "no furnishing" it's just a blank space. To be honest I didn't really care as my friend recommended me so I thought everything would be OK. But I'm not OK. I can't afford to buy the furnishings, but I don't want to risk losing my landlords favour, or my mate who recommended me. I've asked the landlord about it and so far he's said that he can't get hold of the the nant.

What do I do now? Really need good advice here. I think I may have been stupid

Is this a sublet situation? What does the tenancy agreement say about furniture? Have u paid up front?

Comment

There is no clear definition of of part or unfurmished.
      What extras were you expecting for furnished?
      Sight as seen acceptance may be crucial

Comment

Since it is 'a friend' you are renting from then surely you can ask where the furniture is or say you made a mistake and want out of the agreement.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyd View Post
          I've asked the landlord about it and so far he's said that he can't get hold of the the nant.
          Sounds like the previous tenant stole it all.

If you were told "what you see is what you get", then that forms part of the contract, even if not written.
          LL is obliged to give you what was contracted.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord ending tenancy
            Ceejay5
            I have interest from a prospective new tenant whose current landlord gave her two months' notice on 25 October (he wants to sell the property). Her rental period is monthly and runs from the 25th of each month so, as she has not yet given a month's notice, she feels obliged to pay the rent right up...
            11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
          • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
            StuartH
            Probably only where a landlord had brought a claim against a tenant, who had vacated on the date 'required' by the landlord, only to be sued for future rent by the landlord. The county court would have had to allow the landlord's claim, with the tenant appealing the judgment: not very likely to ari...
            16-11-2018, 13:21 PM
          • Which Portal For Finding New Tenants
            Claymore
            Hi

My preferred Portal has generally been Upad for finding new tenants (SE London area).

Have just discovered Upad's fees have shot right up and their minimum fee is £149. Quite a jump from £99.

Any recommendations for alterntive advertising?

Many...
            16-11-2018, 13:13 PM
            jpkeates
            I've thought about this a bit and I can't see how an appeal on this issue could arise in practice.

If the tenant doesn't leave, the landlord has to go to court, and the court decides whether the notice is valid and if it does, it orders a repossession.
            That decision might be appealed,...
            16-11-2018, 13:04 PM
            StuartH
            That assumes the very thing we are debating, but the fact that another legal practitioner also holds the 'safe' view set out in your link doesn't really add anything to the debate....
            16-11-2018, 12:49 PM
            StuartH
            I'm assuming a CC decision having been appealed....
            16-11-2018, 12:47 PM
          • Section 21 notice
            Landlord183
            I have a housing benefit tenant who tops up since 2013. Since than we have renewed her contract twice as council were giving her trouble. Her last contract was issued on 9/4/2015, so as I understand it is now a periodic tenancy. The contract states that rent is monthly but the housing benefit pays 4...
            16-11-2018, 12:24 PM
          • Reply to Section 21 notice
            jpkeates
            The tenancy agreement should define the rental period.
            It's usually words in the form of The tenancy commences on xx/yy/zzzz and continues monthly until aa/bb/cccc.
            The rent due date is (again) usually defined as monthly and has a start date.

If the only statement in the tenancy...
            16-11-2018, 12:45 PM
            jpkeates
            If the issue had been determined in court (and it, surely, must have arisen), that would be a county court and the issue would be a) probably unrecorded and b) not a binding precedent.

A process that requires a tenant, having been told that their landlord wishes them to leave their home,...
            16-11-2018, 12:41 PM
          • Rental arrears going back 5 years - Can we claim now?
            Xerybhm
            Hi

I have an unusual situation. We rent our house tout to my partner's sister. Because we are family, we agreed on a 10 year lease of which 5 years has now passed. The rent on the agreement was £800 a month but she has never paid that - She has always paid £750. Because we had a verbal...
            16-11-2018, 11:07 AM
          Working...
          X