Old £1 coin electric meter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old £1 coin electric meter

My landlord recently changed the meter to another £1 coin machine. Takes both new/old coins.

Now, my problem is since it has been installed - Last Friday, I have used an extortionate amount of coins in it to keep the electric on. How do I read the dial to tell me what it is set on pls?

1 dial says kwh per division...guessing that is the one I should be reading to tell me?

It is set on rate B - what is the difference please?

Thank you

Just reading this thread...I am the tenant with no hot water or heating...plus shower leaks! I moved in on the 01/009/18 and not had either since then...at all. Plus LL has recently changed the electric meter to an old £1 coin (new/old coins accepted) and now I am paying a huge amount for my electric. in 3 days I have so far put £18 in the meter...I'm guessing this is wrongly set? Not sure how to read what I am being charged for etc ;/

What are my rights as a tenant? please

Comment

Unless you are the specific tenant of the original poster, you should start your own thread (on the other hand, the landlord should not have started two threads).

It is illegal to charge you for electricity at more than the rate at which the landlord, themselves, is being charged.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...ge-for-energy/

Comment

I would guess the rate refers to the time of day, for something like economy 7 tariffs. A unit is always exactly one kWH.

I imagine the meter will be similar to those used by electricity companies and they provide information on how to read meters.

Comment

The landlord is not allowed to profit from supplying electricity.

I suggest you find out how much landlord is paying per kwh, then use that to work out how much you should be paying.

If you are heating the house with a electrical heater, it will cost quite a lot.

Comment

What Is 'old' 1 GB coin meter got to do with your query?

Comment

Originally posted by basslinebargains View Post
              My landlord recently changed the meter to another £1 coin machine.
              This suggests that you were already on a £1 meter.

How have the costs changed?

Comment

Google the Make/Model number of the meter, and find out how to read it.
                Then find out how much the landlord is being charged for electric, and go from there.

Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Is there anything in your tenancy contract about not changing the meter? If not then I think that there is nothing to stop you asking the electricity supplier to change it back to a standard meter and for you to set up an account

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord ending tenancy
                    Ceejay5
                    I have interest from a prospective new tenant whose current landlord gave her two months' notice on 25 October (he wants to sell the property). Her rental period is monthly and runs from the 25th of each month so, as she has not yet given a month's notice, she feels obliged to pay the rent right up...
                    11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
                  • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
                    StuartH
                    I had not actively considered coming to a different conclusion based on whether there had been any communication of the tenant's intention prior to his departure, and have no difficulty in agreeing with you that there is a surrender where, for example, the parties have arranged to handover keys and...
                    16-11-2018, 14:18 PM
                  • Section 21 notice
                    Landlord183
                    I have a housing benefit tenant who tops up since 2013. Since than we have renewed her contract twice as council were giving her trouble. Her last contract was issued on 9/4/2015, so as I understand it is now a periodic tenancy. The contract states that rent is monthly but the housing benefit pays 4...
                    16-11-2018, 12:24 PM
                  • Reply to Section 21 notice
                    Landlord183
                    Thank you KTC and jpkeates. You have helped me to think more clearly. using form 6A and giving 2 months notice.. very grateful for advise
                    16-11-2018, 14:10 PM
                    KTC
                    You can use Form 6A. In fact, you may have to use Form 6A depending on how legislative amendment and commencement is interpreted. It's not something worth taking a risk over, just use the prescribed form.

EPC, GSC, and How to Rent is not required before s21 given the date of the tenancy....
                    16-11-2018, 13:58 PM
                  • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
                    Lawcruncher
                    Before the HA 1988 came into force the law recognised various ways in which a tenancy could come to an end and they did not include the tenant simply leaving. Nothing in the HA 1988 changed that.

It is a fundamental principle of landlord and tenant law that at any given moment the parties...
                    16-11-2018, 13:54 PM
                    jpkeates
                    Despite when the rent was actually paid, it was due on the 20th of the month, and the tenancy was monthly from 20th to the 19th of each month.

You can serve s21 notice giving a minimum of 2 month's notice ending on any date, but ending on 19th would be most convenient in terms of working...
                    16-11-2018, 13:53 PM
                  • Which Portal For Finding New Tenants
                    Claymore
                    Hi

My preferred Portal has generally been Upad for finding new tenants (SE London area).

Have just discovered Upad's fees have shot right up and their minimum fee is £149. Quite a jump from £99.

Any recommendations for alterntive advertising?

Many...
                    16-11-2018, 13:13 PM
                  • Reply to Which Portal For Finding New Tenants
                    patray
                    I use lettingaproperty.com for property in S W London. Advert goes online promptly and enquiries come through quickly. Very satisfied with them. However they have also increased their prices but not quite as much. Last August 2017 £99. This July 2018 £129.
                    ​​​​​
                    16-11-2018, 13:50 PM
                    Landlord183
                    these are clauses from tenancy tenancy agreement reads

" The term of tenancy is for one year to commence 20 August 2014.

Should the tenant remain in possession of the property with the consent of landlord after the natural expiration of this agreement, a new tenancy...
                    16-11-2018, 13:41 PM
                  Working...
                  X