Bailiff eviction - tenant left possessions behind

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bailiff eviction - tenant left possessions behind

Have just attended bailiff eviction where tenant has only partially moved possessions out. I said he had until the locks were changed to move out as much as they could and then we'd have to arrange a time to pick up whatever else they wanted to take. I'm now in a quandary as to how to approach allowing them to pick up remaining possessions . Am nervous about letting them back into the property on a few grounds - 1: what if they then take hours and mess me around and potentially do further damage to the property out of vengeance (property is a complete mess as it is ) . 2: what if I cant get them out and I've allowed them to enter. 3. General personal safety concerns for myself - I didn't mind being there today as the bailiff was there but have serious concerns about meeting him and his friends on my own.

Would appreciate advice on how to approach please based on other people's experiences and also my legal obligations regarding their possessions

Create inventory with a lot of photos, then store them somewhere outside of the house.

Like garage or annex if you have one in your house, then supervise during access to make sure they don't do anything.

If you want extra safe, ship them all to a storage facility (pay for 1 month) then give them access to that.

Comment

​​Change the locks immediately.
      You should have done that with the bailiffs there.
      That's priority number one.

Next time, don't allow them to go away and come back, tell them to take everything now.
      The bailiff's visit wasn't a surprise and they had an opportunity to move stuff out prior to being evicted.
      They might not be able to, but it's the optimal outcome.

However.
      You want to agree that only one person can return and they'll be handed things from inside.
      Or, you can put everything outside and they can take it all.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 notice
        Landlord183
        I have a housing benefit tenant who tops up since 2013. Since than we have renewed her contract twice as council were giving her trouble. Her last contract was issued on 9/4/2015, so as I understand it is now a periodic tenancy. The contract states that rent is monthly but the housing benefit pays 4...
        16-11-2018, 12:24 PM
      • Reply to Section 21 notice
        Landlord183
        these are clauses from tenancy tenancy agreement reads

" The term of tenancy is for one year to commence 20 August 2014.

Should the tenant remain in possession of the property with the consent of landlord after the natural expiration of this agreement, a new tenancy...
        16-11-2018, 13:41 PM
      • Landlord ending tenancy
        Ceejay5
        I have interest from a prospective new tenant whose current landlord gave her two months' notice on 25 October (he wants to sell the property). Her rental period is monthly and runs from the 25th of each month so, as she has not yet given a month's notice, she feels obliged to pay the rent right up...
        11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
      • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
        StuartH
        Probably only where a landlord had brought a claim against a tenant, who had vacated on the date 'required' by the landlord, only to be sued for future rent by the landlord. The county court would have had to allow the landlord's claim, with the tenant appealing the judgment: not very likely to ari...
        16-11-2018, 13:21 PM
      • Which Portal For Finding New Tenants
        Claymore
        Hi

My preferred Portal has generally been Upad for finding new tenants (SE London area).

Have just discovered Upad's fees have shot right up and their minimum fee is £149. Quite a jump from £99.

Any recommendations for alterntive advertising?

Many...
        16-11-2018, 13:13 PM
        jpkeates
        I've thought about this a bit and I can't see how an appeal on this issue could arise in practice.

If the tenant doesn't leave, the landlord has to go to court, and the court decides whether the notice is valid and if it does, it orders a repossession.
        That decision might be appealed,...
        16-11-2018, 13:04 PM
        StuartH
        That assumes the very thing we are debating, but the fact that another legal practitioner also holds the 'safe' view set out in your link doesn't really add anything to the debate....
        16-11-2018, 12:49 PM
        StuartH
        I'm assuming a CC decision having been appealed....
        16-11-2018, 12:47 PM
      • Reply to Section 21 notice
        jpkeates
        The tenancy agreement should define the rental period.
        It's usually words in the form of The tenancy commences on xx/yy/zzzz and continues monthly until aa/bb/cccc.
        The rent due date is (again) usually defined as monthly and has a start date.

If the only statement in the tenancy...
        16-11-2018, 12:45 PM
        jpkeates
        If the issue had been determined in court (and it, surely, must have arisen), that would be a county court and the issue would be a) probably unrecorded and b) not a binding precedent.

A process that requires a tenant, having been told that their landlord wishes them to leave their home,...
        16-11-2018, 12:41 PM
      Working...
      X