Tenant left voluntarily owing rent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant left voluntarily owing rent

    (approx. £4,500, rent £500pcm).
    LA agreed to £60 pcm, without ref to LL.
    At that rate it will take T over 6 years to repay the debt.
    + £1200 for billable T damage.
    Is there any way LL can increase the monthly repayment?

    I'd accept that IIWY. Tenant will presumably have rent to find on another place, so won't have massive amounts to repay you every month.


      The agent's action bind the landlord I would think. Whether you have cause for an action against the agent if the agreement wasn't a power you have given them, and whether any such action is advisable is a different question.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

      I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.


      Latest Activity


      • Rent increases.
        Hi everyone.
        I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
        21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
      • Reply to Rent increases.
        work out inflation over the period, and if your increase is less than tha, then put it in the letter for comparison.
        21-10-2019, 22:19 PM
      • Reply to Rent increases.
        My view is that you do tenants no favours by charging below market rent as they just develop unrealistic expectations and feel trapped when they realise they cant afford to move but need to. They also see you as a soft touch and that's not a good look for a landlord. I would start to increase each year...
        21-10-2019, 22:01 PM
      • Broken window, who should pay T or L.
        So my friends and I have recently moved into a house, we are students and this is our first year of renting a property. The building itself is quite old and we've already had problems such as broken lights and damp. We also do not have the best relationship with our landlord as we've asked for these...
        21-10-2019, 13:11 PM
      • Reply to Broken window, who should pay T or L.
        At what height was the bottom of this window, "normal" window height or floor height?

        If floor height, then I believe it is required to have toughened glass, which is harder to break.
        21-10-2019, 20:45 PM
      • Energy efficiency certificate
        I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

        Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
        or did the current...
        21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
      • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
        I don't think you are even allowed to advertise it for rent without a valid certificate. However, unlike the gas one, you can still provide it late for a section 21 eviction.
        21-10-2019, 20:37 PM
      • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
        It was a C. Yes im going to try and get it done asap before the new tenant moves in.
        Also the gas cert was done in jan, so is valid till jan 2020, but will that be needed for a new tenant right away as well?
        21-10-2019, 20:34 PM
      • Reply to Rent increases.
        My advice would be to seriously think about increasing, my experience is have a tenant paying on time and looks after the property is worth £10 pm increase. The market has now changed for T's therefore with fees now removed they can move more freely without thinking of the additional costs. Also if...
        21-10-2019, 20:23 PM
      • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
        What was the rating of the property on the expired certificate, Any property below an E rating can't be rented out. I would get the certificate completed as soon as possible and supply this to your tenant, get them to sign that they have received it as well as proof.
        21-10-2019, 20:12 PM