Gas system condemned; what should tenant do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas system condemned; what should tenant do?

since moving into our rented house in feb 08 we have always felt tired, odour in the air etc this always when gas fire on...

other probs, damp in all rooms, big hole in bedroom floor, very cold and the list goes on..

we called transco who capped the gas instalation, since then enviromental health has visited and given the LL a 7 day notice to check gas and also a list of other works...

today LL arrived with a enviromental health officer, then the gas man arrived.

he checked the gas fires ( one in living room, and each bedroom, also central heating with back boiler.

to cut a long story short the gas fitter has consemmed the whole house saying there were fumes entering the rooms and the fires in the bedrooms were not sealed..
    the house needs a complete gas instalation, ( last safety check was 11 years ago, back boiler 60 years old!!!!!)
    they are going to do the work in a week or so, my question is how do we stand becouse we will have no hot water and heating for approx 2 weeks also do we have to live here when the work is being carried out???

the house is a 2 bed bungalow were 2 months into a 6 month ast..

please help thanks in advance..

At the very least you are due compensation for not having the required standard. You can negotiate what is fair with LL, take it to court if he doesn't agree. Could be worth all the rent so far as he has put your health at risk; you need legal advice as you could probably sue him for his negligence and get more than the rental value. Its up to you how far you want to take it.

What do you want to do? Get out of the whole contract ; leaving immediately ? Or you want to stay in the property after its fixed?
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

could the council re home us? would this be classed as unfit?

Comment

Originally posted by jona111 View Post
        could the council re home us? would this be classed as unfit?
        1)It depends on the situation.
        2) Its unfit if there is a risk to you health and safety. The hot water/heating being off is temporary in the short term; hopefully. The other problems may make it unfit. Best to talk to environmental health direct on this one.

Have a word with your local authority housing department; posibly speak to the tenancy relations officer first to see how they can help you with your tenancy; then speak to the housing officer about rehousing to see how they see it if they can help you.

Shelter helpline is another good source for you to try.

Please post back any outcome.

Comment

thanks for the great advice, will call them today

Comment

Please check this, but I once read you do cannot be charged rent during weeks where there is no heating or hot water.

Other people may know more about this.

Comment

enviromental health informed the housing office today that the house is fit?????
              spoke to landlord today and they said we can leave this month and they will give deposit back.

what should i do as the enviromental health officer wants to come on tue to check the house for damp???

do i make myself intentionally homeless or wait for the other problems to be checked?

Comment

DO NOT make yourself intentionally homeless... Council will not help you. If you can find an alternative home then ok move out. I would wait for EHO to come back out. If you get ill see your DR and get it logged.
                GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

little update on my problems,

enviromental health came out again on tue, i am still waiting for the heating to be installed, they are starting next mon.

the Eh officer said there was clearly a damp problem with the house but he only wants the heating and floorboards to be fixed asap..

we have another 4 months in the house, as the damp is a big job the EH officer said this would be better repaired when we go!

with all this stress etc i went to docs and told him the situation regarding the house! mine and partners frame of mind etc he said this is affecting our health...
                  i have a good idea the LL is fixing the heating etc becouse she has to by law, but i think the EH officer has told them about the severe damp ( which obviously isnt worth fixing as we only have 4 months left) and advised LL to evict us at end of ast then sell house!!!!!

my question is if my doctor has said that the damp etc is affecting my health is our house still habitable???

Comment

Originally posted by jona111 View Post
                    my question is if my doctor has said that the damp etc is affecting my health is our house still habitable???
                    If you had a heart problem, lived in a second-floor flat, and were advised by your doctor that climbing the stairs to the flat was affecting your health, would that render the flat uninhabitable?

Comment

if the flat was leaking deadly fumes, floorboards were giving way, no heating, wet carpets, walls, etc, tenant lost hgv licence for 2 months becouse of heart tests ( angiogram etc) then to find it was a severe chest infection due to damp..this is ok?????

we were fine before we lived in this house!! if i had a heart prob i wouldnt live in an upstairs flat!!!!!!

Comment

If you want to be let off the next four months and released early from tenancy, have you tried to negotiate with LL to let you go with no penalty(ie no longer responsible for rent?) or do you want to tough it out?

Comment

Do you have a copy of the Gas Inspection Certificate? I doubt it.

It is illegal for the LL to rent without this.

Get an independent Gas servicer to provide a report and then take the LL to court for it!!

Endanfering peoples lives is not on, and these scumbag LLs should be weaned out (I'm a good one by the way)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X