Section 21 When Selling to Tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 21 When Selling to Tenant?

We are planning to sell our tenanted property next year. We are considering 2 options:

1) Issue Section 21 to existing tenant (it's monthly periodic) so that we can sell a vacant property on the open market. We don't want to sell it with a tenant in situ
    2) Offer to sell the property directly to the tenant. We'd pass on the discount for agents fees and typical fix up for sale

We haven't discussed it with him yet because we are unsure how to actually do it. If he accepts, should we issue a Section 21 anyway in case he can't get a mortgage? Are there any other 'gotchas' we should be aware of?

I'd tell the tenant what you're planning and offer to be flexible.
    The issue with s21 notices is that the two month's notice isn't really long enough for a tenant to get money together for a deposit and fees, find a property, get approved, possibly wait for it to be vacant and move.

So confirming that you're giving the notice, but won't enforce it the moment that it expires will help the tenant.

If they want to buy it, they'll let you know.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You would know/ or have an instinct on whether or not the T would be able to purchase the property from the T's income and financial background (have they always paid the rent on time, would the mortgage be less than the rent the T is paying).

I personally would serve S21 and put it on the open market, trying to give it to one person is highly risky in case it falls through, and you would then have to serve the s21 anyway and potentially have to wait 3-5 months if the T doesn't leave the property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Pandemic problems
        by alice123
        As a key worker I was not furloughed so was able to keep up with repairs and even had some overtime but with stress from properties and work - family life has brought me to sell up-

No-one cares about landlords and in general people think they are millionares, when the opposite is quite...
        23-01-2021, 14:48 PM
      • Pandemic problems
        by Propertyhack
        I am writing a piece for a broadsheet national newspaper on how the pandemic has impacted on landlords, what with so many tenants in arrears. I'm looking for landlords willing to talk to me, on the record, about what 2020/1 has done to them. I'm interested in small scale landlords, who own just one...
        22-01-2021, 22:58 PM
      • Reply to demand for 4 bed houses
        by jpucng62
        Sounds like you are the best person to answer your own question!
        23-01-2021, 14:28 PM
      • demand for 4 bed houses
        by sm1 landlord
        question - our portfolio of houses are 2 and 3 bed

we are buying a fire damaged 3 bed house in a good area which lends it itself to doing a loft conversion due to the fire damage

how do others find demand for a 4 bed house, we do let to u/c claimants with guarantors and a family...
        23-01-2021, 10:52 AM
      • Reply to accepted definition of furnished?
        by scampicat
        I provide curtains and floorcoverings (these were there when I bought the flat), blinds (very kindly left by a former tenant when he went to prison ), and a washer dryer and fridge freezer, plus integrated hob and oven that were in the flat from new.I will not replace blinds or curtains if they get...
        23-01-2021, 14:12 PM
      • accepted definition of furnished?
        by whatsthenews
        Hi,
        New member here. As I believe there's no legal definition of "furnished", would people offer their opinions as to what they consider the minimum items for a furnished letting? Is there a doifference between "furnished" and "fully furnished"?
        If it makes...
        22-01-2021, 21:43 PM
      • Reply to Pandemic problems
        by theartfullodger
        If you talk to me 1st about how you've been affected so I can make money out of the chat then I'd think about the reverse, after seeing what reception my article gets.

Which broadsheet newspaper since there's an expectation of being open all round?
        23-01-2021, 14:00 PM
      • Reply to BTL - Council Tax Bill - Ancient!
        by theartfullodger
        I'd pay promptly but state email/letter/phone call that you are only paying under duress as you believe the charge is incorrect.

Do so to avoid fines/penalties/p###ing off council.

Yet another reason (big ones being CGT and IHT) to keep records for much longer than the usually...
        23-01-2021, 13:54 PM
      • BTL - Council Tax Bill - Ancient!
        by Claymore
        Hi

Today I have received a Council Tax Bill - I had to have a double-look when I saw the date. Its for a two-week period in July 2010! So, it's taken 10 years and 6 months to send me a bill.

As it is so long ago, I have no records to check to see if I had been invoiced previously...
        22-01-2021, 22:59 PM
      • Reply to BTL - Council Tax Bill - Ancient!
        by Claymore
        Well, having lived in the Borough for over 20 years, I know my local Council is exactly the same as this, hence me not being able to believe my eyes! The two week period was from when I actually bought the property, before tenants moved in.

Its a mere £56. Part of me says just pay....
        23-01-2021, 13:39 PM
      Working...
      X