Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Shelter doing?

https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/...iscrimination/

This popped into my email this morning. I have heard of similar actions by Shelter before but can't understand why they would make such blatant, self aggrandising statements, that the company concerned could freely refute.

Have I missed something?

Seems like they are by-passing the legal route and resorting to other social media outlets to make their protests. Most likely believe they wouldn't win in a court case, as where exactly does the blame lie (if any), the letting agent, looking after their clients (landlord's) asset's or instruction's, the Landlord who from previous experience has had issues from certain types of renters, Mortgage companies putting restrictions on T&C's of the loan, The Lending Institutions who are following due diligence and risk profiles to mitigate issues for the creditor.

I'm sure others will have a view, but I will be honest, I've not become a landlord to become a charity or an extension of the council. It's a business for the sole person of getting a return on my investment for my future, like any other investment product would seek to achieve. Like all investments, people will try and maximise upon it, have a business model which they believe is the right fit from them (students, hmo, emergency housing, professional's etc). In order to keep your investment performing, you need to invest in it (maintenance, communication, time), If you don't then long term your investment will not return what you hoped it would do. It is great that there is regulation and ways in which both parties can address issues and this is the route that should be taken not via harassment/ bullying tactics.

Comment

How can someone discriminate against a Group that no longer exists?
      Provided the ad does not state 'No DSS'.

Comment

Shelter need to campaign to change the law, not to try and get courts to stretch the legislation.
        Courts aren't going to want to do that, because, if they do, it has a retrospective effect, and that's really unhelpful.
        And the laws not going to change because politicians aren't (entirely) stupid.

And, as pointed out before, the DSS never paid housing benefits.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I was wrestling with that myself, mariner! DSS is such an outdated term, like they forgot to join us in 2018!

With all the changes in the pipeline I would have thought they'd have enough real news to shout about!

Comment

Estate Agents and landlords will just have to put something like 'those claiming housing support are welcome to apply'. Or not put anything about who can or can't apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
              Estate Agents and landlords will just have to put something like 'those claiming housing support are welcome to apply'.
              Trouble is that those you intended this sarcasm for, would not understand it was sarcasm.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X