Letting agents possibly lying to landlord.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agents possibly lying to landlord.

Sorry for the wordy title.

Been here (current flat) several years. Rented through a very large lettings agency. Each year we have to pay renewal fee.

We asked this year if we could let the tenancy go periodic. We made it clear we wanted to stay. We were honest and said we would sign renewal if landlord wanted but we preferred periodic to avoid fee. They said they'd ask the landlord and get back to us. They didn't. Instead we received Section 21.

We suspect agency might have told landlord we don't want to renew, implying because we don't want to stay. Agency will get more in fees from new tenants and landlord then from a renewal. Agency claiming a Section 21 has to be used and impossible to renew (any) tenancy once one has been issued, which I don't think is the case.

Would you, as landlords, be offended if a tenant wrote to you directly? We don't want to outright accuse the agency, but thought we'd suggest communication error...

I wouldn't object to a tenant writing directly to me.

The agent is mistaken or lying about a s21 having to be used and that it's impossible to renew when one have been issued. Neither is correct.
    The periodic tenancy will arise automatically when the fixed term ends anyway.

It's quite difficult to serve a valid s21 correctly, and they expire 6 months after they're served.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As above, write to the landlord now. Bear in mind that it may not work as the landlord may be too inexperienced to challenge the Agent

Comment

It's a common fiddle. I suggest you get landlord's contact details in case any other lies are told.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. It's really helpful hearing from landlords.

Bit nervous about rocking the boat in case landlord hates direct contact..... Would you mind being emailed rather than post? Agency gave me the email by accident. Email too informal?

Also, I wasn't planning on moving but I'll prepare to if need be, but wanted to mention that I'd prefer not to move close to Christmas. Would it be best to leave that bit out? I don't know if that would annoy a landlord.

I know I'm over-worrying but I'm not sure how it works with contacting landlords if there's a middle man agency.

I'm not sure if I should wait for the agency to get back to me. They're apparently finding out if landlord will renew, but keep putting me off and telling me someone else who isn't in that day (always a different person) will call me back, who never does...

Comment

Good grief you sound gullible my friend.

Everyone has told you to contact your landlord, but you are still dancing to the agent's tune.

Comment

Were you not supplied with all the landlord contact details within the proper documention when the tenancy began? You should have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Didigigi View Post
                Bit nervous about rocking the boat in case landlord hates direct contact..... Would you mind being emailed rather than post? Agency gave me the email by accident. Email too informal?
                I wouldn't mind at all, but I'm just a landlord not your landlord.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What’s the worst that will happen if you contact the landlord and they don’t appreciate it? You’ve already been given a S21.

Comment

exactly... and if the LL is NOT aware that you want to go periodic and stay and would not object to this, they will be grateful to you. They may be as gullible as you are and the agent is having a field day with the two of you.

Comment

If it’s the agent I think it is (they claim to be “First in Letting”) then this is standard practice for them and many of their landlords don’t know about it.

Comment

I did exactly this. Wasn't happy with the agent telling us we had to sign up to 12 months each time with its associated fee and rent increase. Paid £3 to land registry to get LL name and address, it was local so I wrote a very polite letter and hand delivered it to the LL's postbox including my contact details.

Turns out the LL is a professional LL with several properties who actually does want everything to be 12 month AST, he wants the LA to do all the admin but the LL and his company do all the maintenance and decorating themselves.

It may not be ideal - we have been there 7 yrs now and would be happier on periodic but hey ho. But now we have a great relationship with the LL and we know they value us as good tenants, and we know that any time the agency does anything we aren't happy with we can raise it directly.

Long story short - you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain by getting in touch with the LL and working out what his motivations in life and business are.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X