Letting Agent Charging For A New Carpet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agent Charging For A New Carpet

We have recently moved out of a rented property, however we are losing our deposit over a carpet dispute. We accidently burnt the carpet with an iron, and told the letting agent we would replace the carpet. He sent us the receipt of what was bought last time. Unfortunately, the carpet has been discontinued so we got one of similar quality and colour. The letting agent was OK with this. However, the carpet we bought was not wide enough for the room. When it was fitted last time, carpet was borrowed from the hallway carpet to fill the gap. We just followed the measurements on the receipt. Our insurers based our claim on said receipt. Our landlord got arsey, and said what we were given was a guide (none of his e-mails stated this) and we should have double checked the measurements. But the receipt said Lounge - 4.6x4m and that is what we ordered. The carpet fitter, tried his best to patch up old carpet with new, however old is slightly darker and now letting agent is charging us for a completely new carpet. I feel this is unfair as we replaced on the measurements given.

Firstly, it was never a requirement for you to replace the carpet with a new one in the first place. You have to compensate the landlord for the loss of value in the original carpet, taking account of its age. I've no idea how old the original carpet was but this would probably have been substantially cheaper. However, you've now messed up on replacing the carpet and I can see why the landlord feels that what you've done is inadequate. For one thing, what's happened to the hallway now? Anyway, I would say you are obliged to rectify the problem as you've removed and presumably disposed of the original carpet.

Comment

Pics of old and new carpet together

Comment

We did originally offer to just pay the letting agent the insurance money and for them to replace the carpet when it was due. However, letting agent just said it was easier if we could do ourself. The hallway and living room were both laid together so spare hallway carpet was used in the living room. We were not told this. we just followed what was bought last time. We used part of old carpet with new and I have posted up photos of this.

Comment

Oh dear!
          (characters added for minimum message length)

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
            Oh dear!
            (characters added for minimum message length)
            Do you think I have a leg to stand on? when it goes to the deposit dispute service?

Comment

You might well as sadly they don't tend to to favour claims for cosmetic damage from landlords.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• The End of Section 21
                KTC
                https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2019/04/th...of-section-21/

tl;dr : Both Conservatives and Labour in England, and the government in Wales now has as its policy going forward of abolishing no fault (i.e. s21) evictions.
                15-04-2019, 00:20 AM
              • Reply to The End of Section 21
                JK0
                Looks like another good reason not to use section 8: Tenant thinks that by destroying the place, he can use the disrepair to avoid eviction. (And another good reason to keep your s21 up to date if you have those sort of tenants.)
                Hi guys i have tennants who owe me 6 months rents, and stopped paying and won’t hand the key back, served section 8 and 21, court hearing in few months, Never
                20-04-2019, 08:37 AM
              • Possession hearing
                Ash-uk
                Hi guys

i have tennants who owe me 6 months rents, and stopped paying and won’t hand the key back, served section 8 and 21, court hearing in few months,

Never been to court, so after some advice, do I need to take evidence I.e texts to show me chasing for rent and not paying...
                07-04-2019, 23:08 PM
              • Reply to Possession hearing
                spiritdreams
                I am very sorry to hear that.

You may be able to call the police for malicous damage.

Property insurance for landlords, normally do not cover malicous damage by default, only accidental, however it is usually available as part of additional premium. Check your coverage small...
                20-04-2019, 08:16 AM
                Hudson01
                I am not experienced enough to offer the advice i know you need, but is suspect (as you have seen) that the police will be of no use in this instance, they will still see it as a civil dispute right up and until the whole interior is destroyed. I am so sorry this is happening to you and i trust a member...
                20-04-2019, 07:09 AM
                Ash-uk
                Further to my earlier post

the tennants have knocked a wall that supports the exterior roof for a bay fronted roof

in th garden I can see they have ripped the toilet out and and windows

possessing hearing is 1st is may

they are gona destroy the house...
                19-04-2019, 22:08 PM
              • Slightly painful tenant
                Awesomestow
                Wondered if anyone has thoughts on use of s21 (while we still can!) when a tenant has been great at paying rent but is just very demanding - significantly more work than the other four properties combined. The main issue is mould on the walls - it’s an old building recently refitted to modern insulation...
                19-04-2019, 10:02 AM
              • Reply to Slightly painful tenant
                buzzard1994
                Tell the tenant the property is not suitable for their lifestyle and invite them to leave, s21 if they dont.
                19-04-2019, 21:45 PM
                Awesomestow
                Thanks all. I suspect leaving the whisper quiet extractor fan on will fix the problem. Hard to tell because he hasn't left it on. And if he turns that off he'll turn off a PIV system too.

MdeB - yes Jpkeates is right. Warmer air can hold more moisture so there's more water to condense...
                19-04-2019, 17:53 PM
                jpkeates
                The moisture that's in the air has to go somewhere, if the updated insulation has closed off where it used to escape, it'll hang around until it finds a cooler surface to condense on.

If a damp expert declined to do anything about it, that suggests that whatever they could do, they knew...
                19-04-2019, 17:26 PM
              Working...
              X