Letting Agent Charging For A New Carpet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agent Charging For A New Carpet

We have recently moved out of a rented property, however we are losing our deposit over a carpet dispute. We accidently burnt the carpet with an iron, and told the letting agent we would replace the carpet. He sent us the receipt of what was bought last time. Unfortunately, the carpet has been discontinued so we got one of similar quality and colour. The letting agent was OK with this. However, the carpet we bought was not wide enough for the room. When it was fitted last time, carpet was borrowed from the hallway carpet to fill the gap. We just followed the measurements on the receipt. Our insurers based our claim on said receipt. Our landlord got arsey, and said what we were given was a guide (none of his e-mails stated this) and we should have double checked the measurements. But the receipt said Lounge - 4.6x4m and that is what we ordered. The carpet fitter, tried his best to patch up old carpet with new, however old is slightly darker and now letting agent is charging us for a completely new carpet. I feel this is unfair as we replaced on the measurements given.

Firstly, it was never a requirement for you to replace the carpet with a new one in the first place. You have to compensate the landlord for the loss of value in the original carpet, taking account of its age. I've no idea how old the original carpet was but this would probably have been substantially cheaper. However, you've now messed up on replacing the carpet and I can see why the landlord feels that what you've done is inadequate. For one thing, what's happened to the hallway now? Anyway, I would say you are obliged to rectify the problem as you've removed and presumably disposed of the original carpet.

Comment

Pics of old and new carpet together

Comment

We did originally offer to just pay the letting agent the insurance money and for them to replace the carpet when it was due. However, letting agent just said it was easier if we could do ourself. The hallway and living room were both laid together so spare hallway carpet was used in the living room. We were not told this. we just followed what was bought last time. We used part of old carpet with new and I have posted up photos of this.

Comment

Oh dear!
          (characters added for minimum message length)

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
            Oh dear!
            (characters added for minimum message length)
            Do you think I have a leg to stand on? when it goes to the deposit dispute service?

Comment

You might well as sadly they don't tend to to favour claims for cosmetic damage from landlords.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 notice
                Landlord183
                I have a housing benefit tenant who tops up since 2013. Since than we have renewed her contract twice as council were giving her trouble. Her last contract was issued on 9/4/2015, so as I understand it is now a periodic tenancy. The contract states that rent is monthly but the housing benefit pays 4...
                16-11-2018, 12:24 PM
              • Reply to Section 21 notice
                KTC
                You can use Form 6A. In fact, you may have to use Form 6A depending on how legislative amendment and commencement is interpreted. It's not something worth taking a risk over, just use the prescribed form.

EPC, GSC, and How to Rent is not required before s21 given the date of the tenancy....
                16-11-2018, 13:58 PM
              • Landlord ending tenancy
                Ceejay5
                I have interest from a prospective new tenant whose current landlord gave her two months' notice on 25 October (he wants to sell the property). Her rental period is monthly and runs from the 25th of each month so, as she has not yet given a month's notice, she feels obliged to pay the rent right up...
                11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
              • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
                Lawcruncher
                Before the HA 1988 came into force the law recognised various ways in which a tenancy could come to an end and they did not include the tenant simply leaving. Nothing in the HA 1988 changed that.

It is a fundamental principle of landlord and tenant law that at any given moment the parties...
                16-11-2018, 13:54 PM
                jpkeates
                Despite when the rent was actually paid, it was due on the 20th of the month, and the tenancy was monthly from 20th to the 19th of each month.

You can serve s21 notice giving a minimum of 2 month's notice ending on any date, but ending on 19th would be most convenient in terms of working...
                16-11-2018, 13:53 PM
              • Which Portal For Finding New Tenants
                Claymore
                Hi

My preferred Portal has generally been Upad for finding new tenants (SE London area).

Have just discovered Upad's fees have shot right up and their minimum fee is £149. Quite a jump from £99.

Any recommendations for alterntive advertising?

Many...
                16-11-2018, 13:13 PM
              • Reply to Which Portal For Finding New Tenants
                patray
                I use lettingaproperty.com for property in S W London. Advert goes online promptly and enquiries come through quickly. Very satisfied with them. However they have also increased their prices but not quite as much. Last August 2017 £99. This July 2018 £129.
                ​​​​​
                16-11-2018, 13:50 PM
                Landlord183
                these are clauses from tenancy tenancy agreement reads

" The term of tenancy is for one year to commence 20 August 2014.

Should the tenant remain in possession of the property with the consent of landlord after the natural expiration of this agreement, a new tenancy...
                16-11-2018, 13:41 PM
                StuartH
                Probably only where a landlord had brought a claim against a tenant, who had vacated on the date 'required' by the landlord, only to be sued for future rent by the landlord. The county court would have had to allow the landlord's claim, with the tenant appealing the judgment: not very likely to ari...
                16-11-2018, 13:21 PM
                jpkeates
                I've thought about this a bit and I can't see how an appeal on this issue could arise in practice.

If the tenant doesn't leave, the landlord has to go to court, and the court decides whether the notice is valid and if it does, it orders a repossession.
                That decision might be appealed,...
                16-11-2018, 13:04 PM
              Working...
              X