Landlord wants hire professionnal cleaner for “light dust”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord wants hire professionnal cleaner for “light dust”

Hi everyone, I wanted to have your advice on a few things. I checked out from my flat yesterday.

My landlord wanted me to hire a professionnal cleaner for the flat and one for the windows. I read the contract and saw that I was only required to get pros for the windows. So I decided to clean the flat myself. It was spotless and she sent me loads of text messages saying it was lovely when she had future tenants coming to look at it.

Now, after check out, we had someone who reviewed the flat from a neutral third party “smart inventory”. They wrote, at almost every occasion “light dust - clean and charge to tenant”. Which I find ridiculous.

In the check in, there is absolutely nothing about how clean it is, you can’t avoid light dust, what is it anyway? It sure does feel like they’re trying to get everything they can from it, it wasn’t dirty. Professionals won’t avoid “light dust”.

She wants to hire a professionnal for four hours, and charge me, for light dust?

I wanted to know, what can I do?

Has the deposit been returned to you or still with the LL? If with the landlord, I would suggest they put in claim and you dispute it, that way an independent assessor will then most likely side on your side, as if the property was vacant before the new tenant moves in, there's always going to be some sort of dusting on surfaces.

Comment

Thanks for your answer. How do I put it in claim? Is there some kind of legal stuff to do?

Comment

First contact TDS, before going down the legal route.

Comment

Ok thanks, so you know how I contact TDS? Is there like an email?

Comment

Details are in the information that your landlord was legally obliged to give you at the start of the tenancy ("the prescribed information"), although you could always look them on Google.

Comment

Dispute the charge with DPS, a light dusting should be 30minutes of cleaner time, roughly 20-30quid at best in my past experience.

You are not obliged to hire pro, or anyone for that matter, just ensure the condition of the property is the same as when you moved in.

Comment

Do you know what subjective 'light dust' means?
                Details of move in/out inspection reports for comparison?

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your help. Really helpful 🙏!
                  mariner there is nothing in the move in report regarding cleanliness. It’s either “working/not working” or “scuffs, dents” and genuinely, the flat was in an amazing condition when I left it. I even have text for the landlord thanking me for the tidiness while she was having viewings.

Comment

Another question for you guys...

My landlord said last Thursday that we needed to discuss hiring a professionnal cleaner and sort the deposit. I emailed her three times on different days to get to her. She answered saying we could discuss this today. Still nothing.

what shall I do? I still don’t know what she wants from me apart from cleaners, should I get in touch with TDS already or wait until I hear back? Because I feel like she would have done everything already even though we I am not ok with that. The deposit hasn’t been gave back to me too.

Comment

Get in touch with TDS and tell them the landlord is not cooperating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 notice
                        Landlord183
                        I have a housing benefit tenant who tops up since 2013. Since than we have renewed her contract twice as council were giving her trouble. Her last contract was issued on 9/4/2015, so as I understand it is now a periodic tenancy. The contract states that rent is monthly but the housing benefit pays 4...
                        16-11-2018, 12:24 PM
                      • Reply to Section 21 notice
                        KTC
                        You can use Form 6A. In fact, you may have to use Form 6A depending on how legislative amendment and commencement is interpreted. It's not something worth taking a risk over, just use the prescribed form.

EPC, GSC, and How to Rent is not required before s21 given the date of the tenancy....
                        16-11-2018, 13:58 PM
                      • Landlord ending tenancy
                        Ceejay5
                        I have interest from a prospective new tenant whose current landlord gave her two months' notice on 25 October (he wants to sell the property). Her rental period is monthly and runs from the 25th of each month so, as she has not yet given a month's notice, she feels obliged to pay the rent right up...
                        11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
                      • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
                        Lawcruncher
                        Before the HA 1988 came into force the law recognised various ways in which a tenancy could come to an end and they did not include the tenant simply leaving. Nothing in the HA 1988 changed that.

It is a fundamental principle of landlord and tenant law that at any given moment the parties...
                        16-11-2018, 13:54 PM
                        jpkeates
                        Despite when the rent was actually paid, it was due on the 20th of the month, and the tenancy was monthly from 20th to the 19th of each month.

You can serve s21 notice giving a minimum of 2 month's notice ending on any date, but ending on 19th would be most convenient in terms of working...
                        16-11-2018, 13:53 PM
                      • Which Portal For Finding New Tenants
                        Claymore
                        Hi

My preferred Portal has generally been Upad for finding new tenants (SE London area).

Have just discovered Upad's fees have shot right up and their minimum fee is £149. Quite a jump from £99.

Any recommendations for alterntive advertising?

Many...
                        16-11-2018, 13:13 PM
                      • Reply to Which Portal For Finding New Tenants
                        patray
                        I use lettingaproperty.com for property in S W London. Advert goes online promptly and enquiries come through quickly. Very satisfied with them. However they have also increased their prices but not quite as much. Last August 2017 £99. This July 2018 £129.
                        ​​​​​
                        16-11-2018, 13:50 PM
                        Landlord183
                        these are clauses from tenancy tenancy agreement reads

" The term of tenancy is for one year to commence 20 August 2014.

Should the tenant remain in possession of the property with the consent of landlord after the natural expiration of this agreement, a new tenancy...
                        16-11-2018, 13:41 PM
                        StuartH
                        Probably only where a landlord had brought a claim against a tenant, who had vacated on the date 'required' by the landlord, only to be sued for future rent by the landlord. The county court would have had to allow the landlord's claim, with the tenant appealing the judgment: not very likely to ari...
                        16-11-2018, 13:21 PM
                        jpkeates
                        I've thought about this a bit and I can't see how an appeal on this issue could arise in practice.

If the tenant doesn't leave, the landlord has to go to court, and the court decides whether the notice is valid and if it does, it orders a repossession.
                        That decision might be appealed,...
                        16-11-2018, 13:04 PM
                      Working...
                      X