Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind damaged window

Hello esteemed members,

I am a tenant and have the following issue with my landlord, I hope you can share your opinion, or even better, to point me towards the right direction.

While one of the aluminium windows was on recline, strong wind blew it off it's hinges, it completely broke the hinges and it is now held in place by a bent metal bracket and some tape. The landlord claims that it is my responsibility because there was a warning for severe weather conditions and that I should have kept all windows shut during that period. I was not aware of such weather warning, but I am not quite sure if this claim is valid.

I would think that it is not my responsibility, the windows should had been strong enough to withstand windy weather.

Thoughts?

In the first instance its the Landlords responsibility to arrange for it to be fixed.
    With which of you the cost ultimately lies is for the two of you to work out... If you don't agree something he may try and take it from your deposit at the end of the tenancy (which you can dispute and push into arbitration).

Comment

LL resp to repair and asks you to pay.
      You left a window open in a high wind...
      So unless you can find evidence of prior damage to window, you're liable IMO.
      Plenty of trees were damaged in recent high winds.
      Come to an amicable settlement with LL over cost.

Comment

Leaving a window open in high winds is negligent and the tenant should pay.

No one produces windows for residential properties strong enough to withstand strong winds when open.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Does it say anything in your agreement? It looks like you were negligent because you haven't taken care of the landlord's property. If I were you I'd get a quote for repairs. The last hinge I repaired on a UPVC window was £40 so it might not be as bad as you think.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X