Bailiffs & Locksmith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bailiffs & Locksmith

I'm applying for Bailiffs, is there a law or requirement that I have to have a locksmith, can't I just drill the lock in myself instead of having someone else do it?

I'd get a locksmith IIWY if tenant is still in residence. (Acts as extra backup for bailiff.)

The process is stressful enough without drilling. A locksmith can pick a lock, and then alter it so it takes a different key.

Comment

I doubt any bailiff would allow you to be directly involved in the eviction.

Comment

Certainly the HCEOs on featured in a certain reality TV show considered the presence of landlords likely to make the situation worse.

Comment

When I last evicted a tenant the bailiffs required me to be there but at a distance. It's an awkward situation and the LL being there can make it worse if they get involved. I took a book to read as a distraction and stood several doors down. I didn't need to drill the lock as the door was opened by the tenant and the bailiff took the keys. I then changed the lock myself (google this if you've not done it before - it's not a difficult thing to do).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pets causing eviction
            Wiffle
            Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
            17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
          • Reply to Pets causing eviction
            cymro123
            Agree with JKO LA did not tell L but fast forward to the inspection the same forgetful LA or someone else working for the LA has 'let the cat out of the bag' in the inspection report. Only a bailiff acting with a warrant from the courts can evict you.
            17-06-2019, 19:09 PM
          • Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
            RichH
            Hi,
            Fence at rear of property severely damaged by the strong winds a couple of nights back.
            Informed landlord by phone & also sent photos of damage by email. I have made emergency repairs to stop them going completely, but they are beyond repair.
            Landlord says they were put...
            10-03-2016, 19:01 PM
          • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
            boletus
            Do you really think you're clever enough to disguise your bile?
            I don't think you are.
            I think any half competent landlord would spot you a mile off. Which leaves you with the totally incompetent landlords and those who just don't give a damn.
            Around 90% of private tenants are satisfied...
            17-06-2019, 19:06 PM
            JK0
            I bet letting agent never told landlord about dogs before letting, and they only found out when they got the inspection report.
            17-06-2019, 18:57 PM
          • Company lets
            paulamis
            My company are bringing in some Indian nationals for a few months training.

Secretary went and asked local agents and was fobbed off with nonsense like, "has to be an AST and the law says min 1 yr", I guess the agents don't need the complication.
            17-06-2019, 11:41 AM
          • Reply to Company lets
            MW1985
            Serviced apartments ....... preferable for company lets....
            17-06-2019, 18:50 PM
            KTC
            No such thing. If you stay beyond the end of the fixed term, a statutory periodic tenancy automatically arise by law. If landlord want to evict, they must serve notice and go to court. (Not that this help you, since nothing stopping them from serving you s21 from month 4+ onwards.)...
            17-06-2019, 18:48 PM
          • Damage not recorded in inventory
            rosieflowers
            Hi,

We recently went in to do some (legitimate, reasonable) repairs on our let property and saw that the tenant has melted some of the UPVC window sill which is directly above the electric hob. It's an area of about one inch wide and six inches long and the burn is partly superficial but...
            17-06-2019, 08:18 AM
          • Reply to Damage not recorded in inventory
            tenant83
            Going by the images, I've got to ask: what sane person would put their cooker there of all places? You say this is your only property and you're still "learning" but you don't need to be a landlord or an expert to see what's wrong there. I genuinely think many landlords just get into renting...
            17-06-2019, 18:46 PM
          Working...
          X