Liable for rent if new tenant moved in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liable for rent if new tenant moved in?

My AST requires two month’s notice. I gave a notice to quit, but noted that I’d be leaving about a month and a half early, but I would find a new tenant that the landlord approved of. I did so and I found a new tenant that moved in on the day I moved out.

Now that the new tenant has moved in, does this mean that I am still liable to pay for rent during my notice period?

Your tenancy agreement will have the answer.

Usually, they have terms that rent is paid monthly in advance, and there's no mechanism for a rebate if the tenancy ends before the month is up.
    That's not a deliberate attempt to be clever, tenancies don't normally end mid term.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

An AST agreement requiring two months notice is unusual. I'm not sure if the notice period even has any effect. An AST that has become a statutory periodic tenancy has a notice period of 1 month rounded up to the next day rent is due, and no wording in the agreement can change that. Whilst there can be break clauses, I'm not sure that there can be a rolling notice period in the fixed part.

My guess is the landlord has tried to roll their own agreement without understanding that ASTs limit their ability to do that.

Comment

Elliebellie needs to say if this is a statutory periodic tenancy. More information would be useful about your contract OP. Exact dates of everything...

Comment

Please complete & pastehttps://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/forum/residential-letting-questions/66253-important-information-required-from-all-new-posters

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X