Bike Storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Storage

I rent a leasehold flat with two parking spaces our landlord does not hold the freehold but the other flats do so they have formed a management company. I currently store my bike in the carport where there is a large space not in use and not obstructing anything and its not a parking space however ive been told that the lease states no bikes to be stored in communal areas so have been told I have to take it up two flights of stairs and into the flat however if i have two parking spaces and am only using one for the car can i park my bicycle in my other space as this is not communal?

I think you are heading for a confrontational situation where the management company will end up going by the letter of the lease. You need to try and negotiate this on a friendly basis and get them to agree that it is generally in everyone's best interests rather than try to interpret re-interpret the lease and just do it.

Note that the management company probably look down on your landlord because he wasn't prepared to put his money into buying the freehold, which I suspect how this situation with only some leaseholders being shareholders came about.

The other concern they may have is that any bending of the rules will be the thin end of the edge.

Comment

One thing you should do is to obtain a copy of your landlord's lease. If all else fails, it won't cost very much from the Land Registry (roughly £12).

In an ideal world, landlords would give tenants copies before the tenant signed up, and would include terms in the tenancy agreement requiring you to comply with the restrictions in the lease (unless the tenancy agreement is more restrictive). However, in the real world landlords don't read the lease, themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Denise Lopez View Post
        however if i have two parking spaces and am only using one for the car
        Put the bike in the car, or on a boot mounted cycle carrier if the car isn't big enough?

Comment

" the lease states no bikes to be stored in communal areas"

The communal areas would imply the internal areas of the property. Not the grounds of the property.

Who do the parking spaces belong to? Are they free for all or are they allocated to a specific flat?

A cycle will scuff the walls with tyre marks, as you are carrying it up the stairs.

Some local councils are installing 'bike hangers' on the street.
          https://www.cyclehoop.com/product/sh...ies/bikehangar

Comment

Communal areas are all areas, both inside and out, that are accessible to all leaseholders.

Comment

You should take this up with your landlord.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Shower Repairs Taking Forever
                tjsmiffy
                Hey all,

We started renting a property 3 months ago and noticed at the beginning of September that when the shower is on water leaks down in to the lounge. We reported this to the landlord on September 2nd and he sent over a plumber the following week who said that they would have to strip...
                18-10-2018, 15:52 PM
              • Reply to Shower Repairs Taking Forever
                JK0
                Just try to cooperate as much as you can. No landlord wants to have to work round tenants. Going 'legal' on them is going to annoy them even more....
                19-10-2018, 19:38 PM
              • Reply to Shower Repairs Taking Forever
                ash72
                If you feel you are not getting a quick enough response to the issue, you can report it to the council, they will investigate and either inform the landlord to undertake the works within a set time frame or that there is no issue.

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you have another means...
                19-10-2018, 19:33 PM
              • Adding a named occupier
                Calym666
                So my mother rents a property from us, she has done for the last 4 years with no issues at all and is named as the sole tenant on the tenancy agreement, its all above board and legal in terms of agreements etc.

She has recently moved in her mentally disabled sister (aged 60 but with a mental...
                19-10-2018, 10:59 AM
              • Reply to Adding a named occupier
                ash72
                Is your mother the legal guardian for your aunt, who can look after her and her finances? If so, then you don't need your aunts signature, your mothers would be valid.

Just on another point, would your property need to be adapted for the special needs of your aunt? You/ she may getting...
                19-10-2018, 19:22 PM
              • Landlord taking me to court for spurious damage, deposit not protected
                Andy_Wirral
                Hello. New here, and need some advice.
                I have recently moved out of a two bedroom flat I’ve lived in for the past 3+ years on the Wirral. Was a private rental direct from the landlord who’s a local property developer.
                I always got on with them (father and son). Son was the landlord,...
                19-10-2018, 14:23 PM
              • Reply to Landlord taking me to court for spurious damage, deposit not protected
                Andy_Wirral
                I went to hand back the property and get my deposit back and the landlord and his father kicked off claiming all sorts of damage had been done which is far from
                the truth. They sent me a letter demanding payment for the repairs so I knew the deposit had to be protected so went down the route of...
                19-10-2018, 19:18 PM
              • Reply to Landlord taking me to court for spurious damage, deposit not protected
                boletus
                So just to be clear;

You started this by bringing a claim for not protecting the deposit.

Only then, did the landlord start a claim for damages.

Is that the correct sequence of events?
                19-10-2018, 18:57 PM
              • Tenant's boyfriend
                tatemono
                So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
                29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
              • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
                jpkeates
                Permitted occupier is a pretty meaningless term that doesn't help anyone, just sounds reassuring because it gives something an official sounding title.
                But it gives nobody any protection and helps nobody.

Why not let them stay at the property as an "Unexpected Item in the Bedding...
                19-10-2018, 18:17 PM
              Working...
              X