Bike Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Storage

I rent a leasehold flat with two parking spaces our landlord does not hold the freehold but the other flats do so they have formed a management company. I currently store my bike in the carport where there is a large space not in use and not obstructing anything and its not a parking space however ive been told that the lease states no bikes to be stored in communal areas so have been told I have to take it up two flights of stairs and into the flat however if i have two parking spaces and am only using one for the car can i park my bicycle in my other space as this is not communal?

I think you are heading for a confrontational situation where the management company will end up going by the letter of the lease. You need to try and negotiate this on a friendly basis and get them to agree that it is generally in everyone's best interests rather than try to interpret re-interpret the lease and just do it.

Note that the management company probably look down on your landlord because he wasn't prepared to put his money into buying the freehold, which I suspect how this situation with only some leaseholders being shareholders came about.

The other concern they may have is that any bending of the rules will be the thin end of the edge.

Comment

One thing you should do is to obtain a copy of your landlord's lease. If all else fails, it won't cost very much from the Land Registry (roughly £12).

In an ideal world, landlords would give tenants copies before the tenant signed up, and would include terms in the tenancy agreement requiring you to comply with the restrictions in the lease (unless the tenancy agreement is more restrictive). However, in the real world landlords don't read the lease, themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Denise Lopez View Post
        however if i have two parking spaces and am only using one for the car
        Put the bike in the car, or on a boot mounted cycle carrier if the car isn't big enough?

Comment

" the lease states no bikes to be stored in communal areas"

The communal areas would imply the internal areas of the property. Not the grounds of the property.

Who do the parking spaces belong to? Are they free for all or are they allocated to a specific flat?

A cycle will scuff the walls with tyre marks, as you are carrying it up the stairs.

Some local councils are installing 'bike hangers' on the street.
          https://www.cyclehoop.com/product/sh...ies/bikehangar

Comment

Communal areas are all areas, both inside and out, that are accessible to all leaseholders.

Comment

You should take this up with your landlord.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                by Yasmenaax
                Thanks for the link, according to the checker I should be one.

What you have said makes complete sense, totally agree, and I feel more assured now so thanks again for your help and level of detail into this.

I’m also pursuing it with some law firms to be completely on the...
                30-07-2021, 11:41 AM
              • Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                by Yasmenaax
                Hi there,

I moved into a property 2-3 months ago which was subletted to me by a girl named on the main tenancy contract of the property. I handed over a deposit (which is currently unprotected) and have paid rent on time. She today decided to give me notice to leave, giving me only 2 weeks...
                29-07-2021, 02:19 AM
              • Landlord dictating minimum temperature for property
                by haystack1979
                Our landlord wants to insert a clause in our tenancy agreement to require us to maintain a temperature of 20 degrees in the house in order to mitigate a damp problem, is this legal? It's a very old place with a kitchen with thick stone walls which is poorly ventilated. The previous owner had the damp...
                30-07-2021, 11:33 AM
              • Reply to Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
                by jpkeates
                Try and change suppliers.
                The outgoing supplier will do everything that they can to prevent this (the automated routes won't work), but they'll have to do it eventually.
                30-07-2021, 11:12 AM
              • Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
                by nreid
                My tenant was evicted back in April of this year after a lengthy period.
                Besides this trauma, the problems continue.

My new agent has emptied the letterbox and found a number of concerning items. One is the matter of a court summons for unpaid council tax. I have since taken over...
                29-07-2021, 20:21 PM
              • Reply to solicitors fees
                by doobrey
                It sounds like it. But as above ask for a breakdown of fees first and take it from there.

There is a Solicitors Regulation Authority. It has a Code of Conduct....
                30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
              • solicitors fees
                by rob1648
                Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us...
                29-07-2021, 15:19 PM
              • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
                by jpkeates
                Assuming that you are a tenant (there's a good checker on the Shelter website - which might be useful to point your landlord at)..

There are a number of ways a tenancy can be brought to an end, but for a landlord to end the tenancy, there are only two options (other than by agreement with...
                30-07-2021, 11:10 AM
                by Piffy
                We had a very high solicitors charge but my partner noticed in their terms & conditions that they had put that if their charges were going to go over £5000 they would contact us first, which they had not done, so the bill was reduced to £5000 plus Vat at £1000.
                And I believe that there...
                30-07-2021, 11:06 AM
                by Hudson01
                We all understand that they are not known for their charitable nature...... but 9k !!!! As has been said, ask for a detailed breakdown of exactly how they have spent a weeks worth of time (avrg 48hr week) to deal with this simple (non contested) S21....... Wow
                30-07-2021, 11:00 AM
              Working...
              X