Can further/additional MCoL's be issued?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can further/additional MCoL's be issued?

I have asked this question within another thread, but rather than hijack that thread I have decided to as the question on specific thread instead. That thread related to when a MCoL should be issued and the general response was when the tenancy and occupation had ended.

However , I would like to ask, why cant a subsequent MCoL be issued - is there anything that says only one MCoL can be issued against a particular tenant? I envisage adding something in a pre action letter that gives the debtor 14 days to pay, but highlights that the debt is escalating on a daily basis

as an example

current debt stands at xxxxx

should the debt not be settled immediately, then the debt will rise by xxxx per day based on rent @ xxxx per day for each day the property continues to be occupied by yourselves until the debt is settled in full.

I think that meets the requirement of pre action of clearly informing the debtor of how much they owe.

alternatively could a MCoL be initiated, relating to how much is owed up to a certain point and then a subsequent one issued for the outstanding, if any, monies, on the basis that the initial debt was settled in full, but now further debts have arisen?

I understand that a section 8 SHOULD also be issued, which delivers the same outcome. I have issued a Section 21 but am also happy to further issue a section 8 and then decide which one to pursue

any advice or information (confirmation of subsequent MCoL's being issued etc would be helpful)

You would be failing to mitigate your legal costs, so there might be a risk of costs being awarded against you in the subsequent claims.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AST and periodic tenancy
      skay2
      Hi all,

This is my first post and my first BTL experience.

I bought a new built flat from a developer in England last year. The Lease Agreement stipulated that I need the freeholderā€™s consent to let it. The request was granted without any mention of extra fees. I found a...
      22-10-2018, 21:51 PM
    • Reply to AST and periodic tenancy
      KTC
      2. The terms specifically allows for AST, which is the default type of tenancy on private letting in England. If you're letting out to a human tenant in England, it's almost certainly going to be on an AST (unless you explicitly grant more security under a non-shorthold assured tenancy). I understand...
      22-10-2018, 22:43 PM
      skay2
      Thanks MdeB for the quick reply.

(1) I would raise it to the new freeholder with regard to tenancy registration fee. Just curious, is it a common practice for freeholder to squeeze more money out from BTL landlords?

(2) So a periodic tenancy is still an AST... I forgot to ask...
      22-10-2018, 22:21 PM
      MdeB
      1. I would say "no", but I am not an expert.
      2. it becomes a new AST. It appears to be no breach.
      3. The council can chase you for unpaid CT; you then need to chase T. Agreement should say you can do this.
      Note that the terms of the original agreement carry over to...
      22-10-2018, 22:01 PM
    • Tenants possessions once they have been evicted
      ash72
      Two questions, on when a tenant has left the property but left their things.

1. What happens if some of the items are food, which will perish within a few days/week can you throw these away? Or do you have follow the letter of the law and keep them for up to 3 months if they owe you rent...
      22-10-2018, 20:55 PM
    • Reply to Tenants possessions once they have been evicted
      MdeB
      In my experience, food left in the property becomes inedible within a day
      22-10-2018, 21:55 PM
      ash72
      The rent to guide is correct, but the guide is referring to when a tenant does not owe monies, but this question is for when there is monies owed by the T, when the LL is owed monies (rent arrears) they HAVE to keep the items for 3 months, and try and find the T and if successful then serve the notice...
      22-10-2018, 21:32 PM
    • Blockage responsibility
      hsa1
      Hi all

if there is a sink or toilet blockage caused by the tenants. Who is responsible for payment to resolve this

many thanks
      22-10-2018, 16:26 PM
    • Reply to Blockage responsibility
      Lawcruncher
      Lord Denning no less answered that very question: The tenant must take proper care of the place. He must, if he is going away for the winter, turn off the water and empty the boiler. He must clean the chimneys, where necessary, and also the windows. He must mend the electric light when it fuses. He...
      22-10-2018, 21:22 PM
      JK0
      The goverment 'how to rent' booklet gives a figure of two weeks, which I think is reasonable.
      22-10-2018, 21:21 PM
    Working...
    X