Costs section not on tenancy agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costs section not on tenancy agreement

I used an online tenancy agreement template. I can't remember where I got it from but it doesn't have a section that says the T will be liable for any fees etc should he default on his agreement and needs to go to court for repossession or arrears for example/ Will I still be able to add costs to his bill ?

Court, probably yes; ADR via deposit scheme, probably no.

Comment

There's no deposit.

Comment

The courts if you are doing a S8 or a S21 will award costs to you if the judge is in your favour, it has nothing to do with whether or not it is in the tenancy agreement. If you can't claim on the deposit scheme you can then go for a MCOL claim to get the money owed.

Comment

Thanks Ash. Now you mention it that's a logical conclusion. With this particular T the council homeless team insist I won't be able to charge fees etc and have told him to stay put. I insisted they tell the T but they repeatedly refused. I felt that in all fairness I should tell him they wouldn't tell him so I have. He replied that he might be foreign but he's not stupid. I did my best. I'll be going for a MCOL when he's out.

edit: my brains a bit mushy over this, even though it's not a particularly big issue. This is the T who has his wife staying. I am unable to let the other room (£80 pw) because his wife makes person no5 in the house and his wife shouldn't be there as she's not on the TA and is causing overcrowding in his single room (two adults in a single bed) and bringing the number of people in the house to 5 so I potentially need to pay the council £510 (they are being understanding about this as I've done everything I can to get the woman out). And as I've only got one toilet in the house I can't have a 6th person in. I'm attempting to charge £35 a night for the wife to cover loss of rent for the other room, additional heating W&T etc. He said he'd pay then hasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
            I used an online tenancy agreement template. I can't remember where I got it from but it doesn't have a section that says the T will be liable for any fees etc should he default on his agreement and needs to go to court for repossession or arrears for example/ Will I still be able to add costs to his bill ?
            That's a general legal principle relating to the law of contract.
            It doesn't have to be part of the contract itself.

A loss arising as a result of a breach of the terms as a contract can be claimed from the breaching party.
            The loss has to be real, arise from the contract and mitigated.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• When to call end to tenancy
              Slepewalker
              Thoughts from experienced landlords would be appreciated. The tenancy is now periodic. The house is a modern build, in good repair and decoration.

Tenants are slow in reporting maintenance issues or, conversely, needy. We have replaced a blown light bulb as tenants did not know how...
              18-05-2019, 17:58 PM
            • Reply to When to call end to tenancy
              alice123
              if tenants smoke outside thats usually acceptable

i think that for mice well - this is a common problem but as for carpets smelling of urine ??mmmm I found i had mice in my loft a few years back and the council come down for free to put stuff down and do a survey all free maybe you could...
              19-05-2019, 23:22 PM
            • deposit and damage
              shiraaz
              Hi all
              I've read quite a few of the posts here about deposit returns and deductions. Renewals of on going tenancies, unprotected deposits but I still have some questions

A tenant moved in Oct 2015 and vacated on 29th April. (I have 6 other properties I let just for context). This...
              15-05-2019, 11:18 AM
            • Reply to deposit and damage
              alice123
              exactlly where is the deposit now ? in the scheme ? or in your pocket ?

this doesnt make sense to me --

This particular one the letting agent I use always put the deposit into a scheme themselves and when tenant vacated in 2015 they returned as there were arrears and damages...
              19-05-2019, 23:17 PM
            • Buying a tenanted property
              craig2222
              Hi I'm thinking about buying a tenanted property.Is there anything I should be weary of ? .This would be my 4th and would bring my total income to about 48000 minus mortgage interest etc.Im presuming the new tax rules would not affect me as I would still be in the basic tax bracket ?
              19-05-2019, 19:04 PM
            • Reply to Buying a tenanted property
              alice123
              if there is a tenant in there - beware
              is there some reason why the property is being sold ? is this a bad tenant ect ?
              not sure if you would be in the basic tax bracket but check that out - in a basic tax and earn 9,000 pounds plus my rental income 4000 pounds minus repairs/mortgage and...
              19-05-2019, 22:34 PM
            • i Have given up letting ......
              alice123
              just to let you all know i have given up letting - the only property i have now is where my son lives and a let that one out and hes no intention of letting me sell it either to himself or otherwise -
              i did have another property which was quite far away and the problems i had with a tenant with...
              17-05-2019, 16:10 PM
            • Reply to i Have given up letting ......
              alice123
              yes ive dont know why people on here think i dont fill in my tax return as it seems to be something that people think i do not do when i have been doing it for the past 20 years , although im a low earner and pay very little tax or usually get a return - been letting property out for 20 years and self...
              19-05-2019, 22:30 PM
            • I did not use tenancy deposit scheme help !
              abenson246
              I am a novice landlord and i took over the tenancy from the agent and they gave me the deposit . Tenets moved out and i deducted £160 from there £600 deposit for repairs . Then got a letter from a solicitor demanding 6x the deposit ! After looking in to it i now see i was in the wrong but from...
              08-04-2019, 22:41 PM
            • Reply to I did not use tenancy deposit scheme help !
              alice123
              i know of a landlord who has over 100 properties and NEVER takes a tenacny deposit simply because of this...
              19-05-2019, 21:46 PM
            Working...
            X